• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What I miss in some timeshare kitchens......

CBA Gma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Peppertree at Tamarack, purchasing at Eagles next at Breezy Point
Knife sharpener. 9 times out of 10 knives are dull.... I have started bring my own sharpener with. It is challenging to cut with dull knives.

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Never used a teapot in my life. Seems just as easy to boil or microwave water. I also don't use non-stick pans and am disappointed when units only offer those as a choice (scratched up and warped). Some butter in a SS pan works just fine for me.

Our essentials from home are paper plates (because who wants to run the dishwasher daily when they only supply 6-8 plates in a 2 bedroom unit?!), parchment paper (for casserole dishes or cookie sheets), ziplock bags (always have to pack food for the kids who graze like cattle), a few tupperware containers, and my own laundry/dish soap. We've become accustomed to our natural soaps back home so the supplied tide stinks up our clothes. And the last unit we stayed in had our water bottles tasting like cascade for a week (until we washed them a few times at home).

While I'd love to eat out for all the meals, I don't want to be up and showered to eat breakfast.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Never used a teapot in my life. Seems just as easy to boil or microwave water. I also don't use non-stick pans and am disappointed when units only offer those as a choice (scratched up and warped). Some butter in a SS pan works just fine for me.

Our essentials from home are paper plates (because who wants to run the dishwasher daily when they only supply 6-8 plates in a 2 bedroom unit?!), parchment paper (for casserole dishes or cookie sheets), ziplock bags (always have to pack food for the kids who graze like cattle), a few tupperware containers, and my own laundry/dish soap. We've become accustomed to our natural soaps back home so the supplied tide stinks up our clothes. And the last unit we stayed in had our water bottles tasting like cascade for a week (until we washed them a few times at home).

While I'd love to eat out for all the meals, I don't want to be up and showered to eat breakfast.

I absolutely despise microwaved water! That said, I do boil water in a tea kettle.

I'm with you on eating breakfast in. After working all year, it is so nice to not have to rush out the door when on vacation. I love to lounge around a bit before I go out and about. Having 2 CUPS of tea is a big treat, instead of just one.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I absolutely despise microwaved water! That said, I do boil water in a tea kettle.

I'm with you on eating breakfast in. After working all year, it is so nice to not have to rush out the door when on vacation. I love to lounge around a bit before I go out and about. Having 2 CUPS of tea is a big treat, instead of just one.

Apologies to the OP for slightly hijacking this thread ... totally agree with your take on microwaved water. I don't think it steeps the tea well so you get less flavor and also doesn't keep it hot nearly as long as kettle/stovetop boiled water IMO.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like the resort to provide a cleaner condo unit. Most of the time they are not very clean. I can't tell you how many times the bathrooms have someone else's hair in the sink and tub when we check in. And, the kitchen's are usually just as gross. We are Marriott owners and we find that Marriott and non-Marriott timeshares can be equally dirty and most units we stay in could use a deep cleaning.

When we arrive at a condo here's what we do:

1. Look at the view (if we have one). Open beers and say cheers!

2. Then, we wipe down the following with Clorox wipes: TV remote controls, house phones, bathroom surfaces, kitchen surfaces, other surfaces and all handles, knobs and light switches.

3. Run all the dishes, silverware, glasses and pots through the dishwasher we are going use for the next week or two.

4. Wash the coffee pot and run an empty pot to make sure it works.

5. If my feet stick to the floor I will use the resort's paper towels to do a quick clean of the kitchen and bathroom floors (standing on wet paper towels and ice skating across the floors works).

6. Using more of the resort's paper towels... I will wipe down any other gross things that need wiping down (like patio furniture, patio railing, etc.).

7. If driving, we bring our own pillows with bright red pillow cases. If flying, we bring two or three sets of our bright red pillow cases with us to go over the resort's pillows and pillowcases. If we have daily housekeeping, I remove our pillow cases and tuck them away until night time. Just think about some of the gross people who have had their heads on that pillow and slept in your bed. Actually, I try not to think about it or we might not travel at all. :)

8. Make sure the clock radio alarm is not set to go off at 4 am (this happens a lot at the Marriott Desert Springs Resort).

This is like the flight of the bumble bee and it takes us about 10 minutes blow through the condo. I don't know if housecleaning staff is not allowed enough time clean or maybe they just don't know how to clean very well. But, I feel better and then I am ready to unpack, feel at home and start the trip.

On fly and drive trips I always bring what I think I will need and I never count on the resort to supply everything I might need or want. I can usually work with what is in the condo and what I bring.

Happy Travels and Cheers!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would like the resort to provide a cleaner condo unit. Most of the time they are not very clean. I can't tell you how many times the bathrooms have someone else's hair in the sink and tub when we check in. And, the kitchen's are usually just as gross. We are Marriott owners and we find that Marriott and non-Marriott timeshares can be equally dirty and most units we stay in could use a deep cleaning.

2. Then, we wipe down the following with Clorox wipes: TV remote controls, house phones, bathroom surfaces, kitchen surfaces, other surfaces and all handles, knobs and light switches.

3. Run all the dishes, silverware, glasses and pots through the dishwasher we are going use for the next week or two.

5. If my feet stick to the floor I will use the resort's paper towels to do a quick clean of the kitchen and bathroom floors (standing on wet paper towels and ice skating across the floors works).

6. Using more of the resort's paper towels... I will wipe down any other gross things that need wiping down (like patio furniture, patio railing, etc.).

7. If driving, we bring our own pillows with bright red pillow cases. If flying, we bring two or three sets of our bright red pillow cases with us to go over the resort's pillows and pillowcases. If we have daily housekeeping, I remove our pillow cases and tuck them away until night time. Just think about some of the gross people who have had their heads on that pillow and slept in your bed. Actually, I try not to think about it or we might not travel at all. :)

8. Make sure the clock radio alarm is not set to go off at 4 am (this happens a lot at the Marriott Desert Springs Resort).

This is like the flight of the bumble bee and it takes us about 10 minutes blow through the condo. I don't know if housecleaning staff is not allowed enough time clean or maybe they just don't know how to clean very well. But, I feel better and then I am ready to unpack, feel at home and start the trip.

On fly and drive trips I always bring what I think I will need and I never count on the resort to supply everything I might need or want. I can usually work with what is in the condo and what I bring.

Wow! I thought I was OCD! We usually just unpack and put everything away and take the wine out and sit on the balcony!

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe a bit OCD when away from home. Years ago we came back to our unit when the housekeeper was finishing up and we watched her come out of the bathroom and with the rag she used in the bathroom she did a last wipe down on the kitchen counter before she left. That kind of stayed with us.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Never used a teapot in my life. Seems just as easy to boil or microwave water. ...

For most tea drinkers that is equivalent to saying "all coffee tastes alike, I prefer instant". o_O

Yep, tea made with microwaved water doesn't steep well and doesn't hold the heat. Plus it may be just my imagination but it has a metallic "tang" to it that doesn't belong in tea. Desperate times call for desperate measures but I'll happily splurge on a kettle if there isn't one in my timeshare, although I haven't come across one yet that doesn't supply it. At home I use this because it regulates the temp for different types of tea and because it's impossible to boil it dry which I've done to umpteen kettles on the stove.

If you use a teapot and loose tea, which I like to try different local varieties when traveling, a microwave is useless because you need a kettle-full of boiled water added to the teapot. Adding one cup after another of microwaved water doesn't cut it. I bring a 2/4-cup teapot with me whether flying or driving but I also buy teapots as souvenirs so usually come home with an extra or two. In a pinch these can be used with loose tea so a few are tucked into my toiletry bag.

I'm not a tea snob, though. Every day begins with a cup of good old Lipton tea with two sugars. Without it I can't function. :)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you use a teapot and loose tea, which I like to try different local varieties when traveling, a microwave is useless because you need a kettle-full of boiled water added to the teapot. Adding one cup after another of microwaved water doesn't cut it. I bring a 2/4-cup teapot with me whether flying or driving but I also buy teapots as souvenirs so usually come home with an extra or two. In a pinch these can be used with loose tea so a few are tucked into my toiletry bag.

I'm not a tea snob, though. Every day begins with a cup of good old Lipton tea with two sugars. Without it I can't function. :)

You could fool me! But, hey, we all have our little idiosyncrasies! :)

Jim

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
In keeping with the tea theme this thread seems to have taken, it would be nice just once to find a small tea selection right next to the coffee provided by the resort. ;)

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian

This made me laugh! I try really hard not to think about it. But there's been a few places, like Disney, I'll wipe down the common kid things in hopes to prevent any kid illnesses during our vacation.

I remove all the bedspreads and throw pillows immediately and put them in the closet for the week though. I know the couch is probably equally as dirty, but I figure we're less likely to be laying our heads/faces on it as opposed to the bedspread and throw pillows.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I remove all the bedspreads and throw pillows immediately and put them in the closet for the week though. I know the couch is probably equally as dirty, but I figure we're less likely to be laying our heads/faces on it as opposed to the bedspread and throw pillows

We stayed at a resort in Daytona Beach a few years ago that had a dirty gross couch & armchair (sunscreen, sand & who knows what else). I took the extra sheets supplied for the pull-out & covered the couch & chair.

I am noticing a trend in duvet covers as opposed to bedspreads. That is what the resort we are at right now uses. We saw the cleaners working in the unit below us the other day and the duvet covers were in the pile of laundry. Hopefully they are being changed after each guest.

~Diane

dragonlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love take and bake pizza, but most of the TS have neither a baking pan, nor a pizza pan. Or a pizza cutter/kitchen scissors.

Knives are often dull, and agree that something to sharpen knives is loved.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Whenever I hit a TS that has one of those old polyester bed spreads or even worse those foamy type of blankets.

ibcnu

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I always take the the extra sheets and blankets that are in the closet for the pull-out couch and cover the couch and any armchairs.

dragonlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahh!! Went to Vegas this last week and forgot and left my favorite pizza pan (that I had gotten from Costco a few years back) in the dishwasher.
It is not worth it to have them ship it to me, and costco no longer sells the pan. So it looks like Amazon is going to get some new business from me.
Dumb!!

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say THANK YOU to y'all that posted on this thread!!

We generally only do a single full-week or short-stay weekends but today, am packing for a 5-week "shift in location" going north to get out of the Phoenix heat (TS but no moving - Yeah!). Visiting this thread has provided a plethora of great ideas. Found myself instinctively wanting to pack the proverbial kitchen sink, brought myself up short and thought:

"This is insane! What am I doing!?? What do TUGGERS do when they go for multiple-weeks at a time??"

As Maiki Guy often reminds us "The board's search engine is your friend." True stuff! Voila! Here y'all are sharing wisdom!

Have now re-seated the kitchen sink (whew!) and pared the cache of "supplies" back to essentials. Only extras we are going to take, outside of our normal timeshare box items, will be:

1) Mini rice cooker - want to try some bento box experiments
2) 20 pc set of storage containers - thank you Fry's for the $5 promo set that will not break my heart if they get forgotten
3) Teavana Tea Steeper - whew! Super appreciate that reminder from all you tea drinkers!

TevanaSteeper.JPG

Y'all are the best! :thumbup:

P.S. One of the things I always have in our Timeshare supply box is a small collection of Command Strip Hangers. I never know when I am going to have to hang something up in a place there is no place to hang it. Hats, towels, etc that I do not want on counter tops, floors or other surfaces. If they get forgotten.... better for the next person.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Just wanted to say THANK YOU to y'all that posted on this thread!!

P.S. One of the things I always have in our Timeshare supply box is a small collection of Command Strip Hangers. I never know when I am going to have to hang something up in a place there is no place to hang it. Hats, towels, etc that I do not want on counter tops, floors or other surfaces. If they get forgotten.... better for the next person.

I have some strong suction cup hooks in our Timeshare box. I have stuck them on mirrors for hanging the washcloth or hand towels. Stuck one on the side of the stove or fridge for the dish towel (hate it hanging on the stove handle then it hits the floor when stove is opened). They will also stick on the back of steel entrance doors for hats or umbrellas.

I pack pretty much the same supplies in our timeshare box whether staying for 1 week or 4. There are just some things we don't want to do without.

~Diane

TTom

Reaction score
For my latest trip, I decided to address the potential for lousy knives by packing one of a small set of ceramic knives I picked up. They are very sharp and estremely light. I have four different sizes, but I'm only taking one.