• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What I miss in some timeshare kitchens......

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an electric pressure cooker that I use all the time. I wish we could lug it around to timeshares, but it's ridiculously huge. Also I would like an enormous deep frying pan, the kind they call a chicken fryer. I use that almost every day.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This reminded me about tooth brush holders. Granted, I don't want one supplied by TS, yuck...not sure I could ever put my tooth brush in a holder that held 100s of others and I'm sure not cleaned to the standard I would want for this. But, I always end up grabbing a short glass from the kitchen to stand ours in. For a period of time, I did have a small dollar store plastic holder that I would pack. It eventually broke and I haven't replaced.

We are spoiled and insist on bringing our electric toothbrushes and chargers. (Except if we fly somewhere). Then I just lay the regular toohtbrushes on a paper towel.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Actually if we have to fly somewhere which is rare anyway, I do not bring anything for a kitchen as we only take carry ons- except maybe tea bags. I buy lean cuisines and a few other prepared or frozen dinners, and we have a few meals out. We make due with what supplies are in the kitchen for our breakfasts and lunch. We keep it simple.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
This reminded me about tooth brush holders. Granted, I don't want one supplied by TS, yuck...not sure I could ever put my tooth brush in a holder that held 100s of others and I'm sure not cleaned to the standard I would want for this. But, I always end up grabbing a short glass from the kitchen to stand ours in. For a period of time, I did have a small dollar store plastic holder that I would pack. It eventually broke and I haven't replaced.

Another item in my Timeshare Box is a suction cup toothbrush holder. I purchased that, as well as a suction cup soap dish, many years ago at the dollar store. I stick the toothbrush holder to the lower edge of the mirror. The soap dish will usually stick to the shower wall (if it's clean enough!) and it keeps our soap bar dry-ish.

~Diane

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I always take plastic containers/lids for leftovers, swiss army knife and cone+basket coffee filters. If it's a drive to location, I add a raised edge cookie sheet, pancake griddle and BBQ tongs. Sometimes crockpot. We eat almost all dinners in (with 6 persons).

clevergirl

Reaction score
A salad spinner. I always bring my own, packed with other supplies (even clothes) so it doesn't take up much room in the luggage. Salad spinners are great for prepping almost any veggie...and for salads of course!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
A salad spinner. I always bring my own, packed with other supplies (even clothes) so it doesn't take up much room in the luggage. Salad spinners are great for prepping almost any veggie...and for salads of course!

Our Smuggs unit had one for years. First time I ever used one and was hooked and when I got home immediately purchased one.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Stove top and oven. I don't know how to cook a decent meal in a microwave. I love induction ranges, so dream of the day they'll be the norm in timeshares!

I agree. And they would be safer too!

We are spoiled and insist on bringing our electric toothbrushes and chargers. (Except if we fly somewhere). Then I just lay the regular toohtbrushes on a paper towel.

Hmm, funny. I fly with my electric toothbrush all the time.

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Playing devil's advocate here (sort of). Imagine that timeshare resorts supplied all these 'smaller' things (non-stick frypan, electric knives, etc.). And you're the 10th person to use the place after they supplied them. I'm gonna guess that something is either missing, damaged or broken by the time you got there.

I've been in the vacation rental business for YEARS (over 20). I have supplied ALL those things. Yes - even salt and pepper. Yes - crock pots blenders, special toast presses (that say 'I love you' when you press it into the bread before toasting). Multiple paring knives. Aluminum foil, plastic wrap, baggies, knife sharpeners. Maps of the local area, night lights, extra toilet paper (over one extra roll), even extra towels than the stated number of people would normally use. It's unfortunate that 'some people' will abuse the privilege of these things. Taking full rolls of plastic wrap (because it was supplied I guess they think that everyone gets one?). I think the most interesting is how many night lights we went through before I actually gave up and stopped. Knife sharpener disappeared EVERY time we replaced it (maybe not right away - there are some honest people left). The more toilet paper we left the more was used (and we know that they couldn't have used it all - every time). And, even though this isn't considered a supply, I can't even recall how many times I've had to fix vertical blinds because people didn't know how to use them (or didn't care if they broke them). We ended up replacing them with curtains - worked way better. Some guests were 'super guests' - they would buy supplies and leave them for future guests (my cleaner was instructed to leave this stuff there - rather than throw it out or take it home like I'm guessing most resort cleaners are told to do). Heck, sometimes these guests would replace rusted beach chairs or buy surfboards and leave them behind for others to use. So it does go both ways.

We'd all like to think that fellow timesharers are 'better' than regular travelers and I'm gonna guess we 'are' better than many BUT we all know that resorts will rent to non-timeshare people (even if we were all perfect).

So .... I 'resorted' (little pun there) to putting 'stickers' on the plastic wrap (and others) saying 'use what you need and leave the rest'. I also sent out a detailed inventory list so the guest knew what was there for their use but also so they knew what we had. They were supposed to report if anything was missing off the list (they didn't need to fill anything out or count - just let us know if something was not there). This helped A LOT. Also, even though we felt some people might be insulted (so we apologized up front), we told them how to work things you'd think nearly everyone would know how to operate. That worked better too. Conrad Hilton (Hilton Hotels) was quoted as saying (when asked what advice he would give to people) 'the shower curtain goes INSIDE the tub'. If you know this, you know it and it makes a lot of sense. If no one has ever told you this, you might not figure it out on your own (many people who don't know think it's a privacy thing).

So ... yes - I want the 'basics' that would take care of a standard kitchen. Rice steamers, crockpots and similar are a little 'personal choice' in my book. Non-stick pans do get beat up by people who don't know how to use them (no dishwashers or metal utensils). And .... 'theft is theft'. I'm gonna guess that most timeshare units have had paring knives at one time or another. And peelers. Salt and pepper (the actual mineral/herb) probably aren't supplied because 'someone sinister' could put something 'bad' in the shakers and future people would be putting it on their food. Can't be too careful nowadays (sheesh).

When we travel, we take a non-stick frypan and the 'flipper' to use, a paring knife and my peeler (because I know it works). I also pack salt, pepper, spices that are in shakers (some in original containers). If I have to buy toilet paper I buy it (because I'd have to buy it at home). I take/buy paper towels (but appreciate if they are supplied). We hardly ever fly so putting these things in the car isn't much. And IF I've purchased the toilet paper and the paper towels and they are still left when it's time to leave I usually take full rolls/packages with me when I leave. I am 'guilty' of taking those little shampoo bottles and some of the little soaps supplied by hotels (to/from the timeshares) that I've opened (or if there are 8 soaps I'll take 1 that is unopened) as I know that they will be thrown away. I do not take towels or anything else like that as souvenirs.

Thanks for letting me be devil's advocate. I'm not saying resorts should not have these available - but maybe not in all units, all the time. Many times when I wanted something 'special' I'd ask at the front desk and about half the time they have it for guests to use if they ask. And if you do not have the basics (paring knife is a basic in my head) then ask the front desk.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed in a timeshare that was really defunct in kitchen supplies, I called before we left to see if they had an oven. Oh yes full kitchen. Looked beautiful, granite countertops. However no bowls, no cookware, no ovenware, nothing. Couldn't even have a bowl of cereal. Couldn't cook. It was Easter Sunday so not much was open. Even the broiler pan was missing. I called DAE about it, left a message, and on Thursday, this was a Saturday check in, the office person stopped me and handed me a broiler pan. And she was really mad about it. What was funny was they had an electric mixer, but there wasn't a bowl in the place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Playing devil's advocate here (sort of). Imagine that timeshare resorts supplied all these 'smaller' things (non-stick frypan, electric knives, etc.). And you're the 10th person to use the place after they supplied them. I'm gonna guess that something is either missing, damaged or broken by the time you got there.

I've been in the vacation rental business for YEARS (over 20). I have supplied ALL those things. Yes - even salt and pepper. Yes - crock pots blenders, special toast presses (that say 'I love you' when you press it into the bread before toasting). Multiple paring knives. Aluminum foil, plastic wrap, baggies, knife sharpeners. Maps of the local area, night lights, extra toilet paper (over one extra roll), even extra towels than the stated number of people would normally use. It's unfortunate that 'some people' will abuse the privilege of these things. Taking full rolls of plastic wrap (because it was supplied I guess they think that everyone gets one?). I think the most interesting is how many night lights we went through before I actually gave up and stopped. Knife sharpener disappeared EVERY time we replaced it (maybe not right away - there are some honest people left). The more toilet paper we left the more was used (and we know that they couldn't have used it all - every time). And, even though this isn't considered a supply, I can't even recall how many times I've had to fix vertical blinds because people didn't know how to use them (or didn't care if they broke them). We ended up replacing them with curtains - worked way better. Some guests were 'super guests' - they would buy supplies and leave them for future guests (my cleaner was instructed to leave this stuff there - rather than throw it out or take it home like I'm guessing most resort cleaners are told to do). Heck, sometimes these guests would replace rusted beach chairs or buy surfboards and leave them behind for others to use. So it does go both ways.

We'd all like to think that fellow timesharers are 'better' than regular travelers and I'm gonna guess we 'are' better than many BUT we all know that resorts will rent to non-timeshare people (even if we were all perfect).

So .... I 'resorted' (little pun there) to putting 'stickers' on the plastic wrap (and others) saying 'use what you need and leave the rest'. I also sent out a detailed inventory list so the guest knew what was there for their use but also so they knew what we had. They were supposed to report if anything was missing off the list (they didn't need to fill anything out or count - just let us know if something was not there). This helped A LOT. Also, even though we felt some people might be insulted (so we apologized up front), we told them how to work things you'd think nearly everyone would know how to operate. That worked better too. Conrad Hilton (Hilton Hotels) was quoted as saying (when asked what advice he would give to people) 'the shower curtain goes INSIDE the tub'. If you know this, you know it and it makes a lot of sense. If no one has ever told you this, you might not figure it out on your own (many people who don't know think it's a privacy thing).

So ... yes - I want the 'basics' that would take care of a standard kitchen. Rice steamers, crockpots and similar are a little 'personal choice' in my book. Non-stick pans do get beat up by people who don't know how to use them (no dishwashers or metal utensils). And .... 'theft is theft'. I'm gonna guess that most timeshare units have had paring knives at one time or another. And peelers. Salt and pepper (the actual mineral/herb) probably aren't supplied because 'someone sinister' could put something 'bad' in the shakers and future people would be putting it on their food. Can't be too careful nowadays (sheesh).

When we travel, we take a non-stick frypan and the 'flipper' to use, a paring knife and my peeler (because I know it works). I also pack salt, pepper, spices that are in shakers (some in original containers). If I have to buy toilet paper I buy it (because I'd have to buy it at home). I take/buy paper towels (but appreciate if they are supplied). We hardly ever fly so putting these things in the car isn't much. And IF I've purchased the toilet paper and the paper towels and they are still left when it's time to leave I usually take full rolls/packages with me when I leave. I am 'guilty' of taking those little shampoo bottles and some of the little soaps supplied by hotels (to/from the timeshares) that I've opened (or if there are 8 soaps I'll take 1 that is unopened) as I know that they will be thrown away. I do not take towels or anything else like that as souvenirs.

Thanks for letting me be devil's advocate. I'm not saying resorts should not have these available - but maybe not in all units, all the time. Many times when I wanted something 'special' I'd ask at the front desk and about half the time they have it for guests to use if they ask. And if you do not have the basics (paring knife is a basic in my head) then ask the front desk.

I get it. I will also say that before our resort went to RCI points- and then to Wyndham (from the traditional fixed week model- of which I own) that is when things started to go missing in the units and less care overall. Before, we were basically sharing a unit with 26 other owners (our unit is/was a 2 week ownership model) who considered the units their second homes. Then- there were less exchangers coming in (especially since our week is prime time and most of the owners used their weeks at the home resort). Now, between all the exchangers and renters, things are missing and/or damaged more and more.

TravelMaster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get it. I will also say that before our resort went to RCI points- and then to Wyndham (from the traditional fixed week model- of which I own) that is when things started to go missing in the units and less care overall. Before, we were basically sharing a unit with 26 other owners (our unit is/was a 2 week ownership model) who considered the units their second homes. Then- there were less exchangers coming in (especially since our week is prime time and most of the owners used their weeks at the home resort). Now, between all the exchangers and renters, things are missing and/or damaged more and more.
Just an observation, but it seems over the years some resorts have lowered their target demographics of potential buyers, anyone with a pulse will do. If they default so what, as they've already extracted some cash upfront.

TTom

Reaction score
In terms of things which are most often missing and appreciated when they are there:

A vegetable steamer
Good knives (Charter Club in Marco has some pretty good ones, which are available on Amazon pretty cheap and, as I recall Kohala Suites [HGVC] had some nice ones) - They should either be replaced or sharpened on a regular basis.

I always miss things like napkins and storage bags, but I should probably remember to bring them or buy them.

I can identify with non-stick frypans, but I have also recently discovered that GOOD stainless steel is not that much of a problem to use and clean. I haven't run into anyplace where they were shy about non-stick, and they do come in dishwasher-safe.

One of the things I wish more timeshares would do is to support and encourage people to leave things like coffee filters or condiments (or storage bags, tin foil, plastic wrap, etc.) for the people coming in after them. We've found that renting villas and condos, these things are common and greatly appreciated. Maybe, we've been unlucky, but I'm sure we've left more than we have ever found in our travels.

Tom

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I like the Marriott kitchens with ovens, but I don't expect it in a lock-off. I like a real oven in my kitchen which we don't get at Vistana. Even more frustrating is there are no grills at Harborside at Atlantis. I pack a large George Foreman-type electric grill in a suitcase to take to Atlantis. I'd still like to be able to cook a turkey there for Thanksgiving.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
The only thing I absolutely want to see in my Timeshare Kitchen is a decent corkscrew. About 30 minutes later, all the rest doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get a kick out of these threads like this none, or packing lists to bring to TSs. After a while they resemble moving checklists. Everything up to- and even including the kitchen stove and sink. Every possible small appliance and convenience- just go to the small appliance aisle at Walmart and buy one of everything!

Hey, you're going on VACATION! Eat out! Order a special (read:Thanksgiving at a resort) dinner from a caterer! Throw a knife sharpener in your carry-on and Have a Wonderful Vacation!

Jim

jamcclure1044

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa del Palmar Flamingos
I don't do much serious cooking in timeshares (mostly in Mexico) but have been annoyed when some well-equipped kitchens come with empty salt & pepper shakers. My timeshare survival kit includes a salt-pepper shaker, coffee filters, dishwasher soap tablets and sweetener packets. Before every trip I collect single-serve packets of mustard, ketchup and other condiments from fast-food restaurants to avoid buying an entire jar of something for a few sandwiches.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, you're going on VACATION! Eat out! Order a special (read:Thanksgiving at a resort) dinner from a caterer! Jim

Yeah, I get the point....but for us, it simply doesn't fit into our "vacation" model. We are typically away 5-6 weeks a year as family of 3. We would never be able to be away as much if I didn't budget accordingly. Meals are a huge part of the budget. I estimate we save AT LEAST $100 per day eating all breakfast, snacks, drinks and 4-5 dinners in unit. That $700 is our spending money for activities during the vacation.

So yeah....I do miss some common kitchen items, but I will continue to deal with it to save the money and know I can afford the next trip!

tomt73

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Placid Club Lodges, Las Brisas de Santa Fe.
Our "condo stuff" changes based on whether we're flying or driving. Flying, we pack only a chef's "tool roll" with a couple good knives, a sharpening rod, veggie peeler, instant-read thermometer, and waiter-style corkscrew. We also bring a good 8" non-stick skillet.

Driving, we bring a substantial storage box that takes the above and adds a wooden cutting board, plastic wrap and aluminum foil, spices, staples like pasta and jarred sauce, olive oil, vinegar and the like. We sometimes bring perishables from home that won't survive a week without us. These form the base for our first meals in the unit.

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
The only thing I absolutely want to see in my Timeshare Kitchen is a decent corkscrew. About 30 minutes later, all the rest doesn't seem to matter anymore.
We bought a small waiter's corkscrew on our honeymoon in St Thomas years ago (because we needed one). It has lived in my husband's toiletry bag ever since, ready for all wine emergencies (and those happen frequently ;) ).

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I agree. And they would be safer too!

Hmm, funny. I fly with my electric toothbrush all the time.
Me too. Dh and I bring one charger. The toothbrushes stay charged for almost a week.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't do much serious cooking in timeshares (mostly in Mexico) but have been annoyed when some well-equipped kitchens come with empty salt & pepper shakers. My timeshare survival kit includes a salt-pepper shaker, coffee filters, dishwasher soap tablets and sweetener packets. Before every trip I collect single-serve packets of mustard, ketchup and other condiments from fast-food restaurants to avoid buying an entire jar of something for a few sandwiches.

Our resort uses the tiny disposable salt and pepper shakers and they are perfect. But I still have two regular size salt and pepper shakers in my timeshare box.