• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

what happens if .... cancel function and underlying inventory Qs

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If there is a 3 day block available and you book 2 of the days, (obviously in ERP) then the 1 day becomes available to be booked as a single day.

If you cancel that original 2 day ressie, does that 3 day block ever migrate back together or does it forever remain separated into a 2 day and a 1 day piece?

I've never noticed? I guess I could go and play but I thought I would ask first?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends. It is a science and an art. I had it down so I could get 1 bedrooms back to together after I upgraded what I needed. Or put larger rooms back together that I found. No idea if it would still be the case now.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I've seen it work both ways :-(

I've intentionally split something so I could get it to upgrade with something else I had
-- I've been able to cancel both pieces again and have them go back to one unsplit block
-- I've cancelled both pieces and they didn't go back together
-- I've done this right at close (cancelled both pieces) and seen them go back together overnight
-- And I've seen them not go back together overnight

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I've seen it work both ways :-(

I've intentionally split something so I could get it to upgrade with something else I had
-- I've been able to cancel both pieces again and have them go back to one unsplit block
-- I've cancelled both pieces and they didn't go back together
-- I've done this right at close (cancelled both pieces) and seen them go back together overnight
-- And I've seen them not go back together overnight

I've had the same thing happen with them going back together and not going back together. I once had reservation I was trying to make that started out as all one reservation, wouldn't come back together no matter what I tried and even a VC tried with no luck. Because our friends were staying for 9 nights it would have been three guest certificates I would have been asking them to pay for and I wasn't going to do that to them so I gave up on the reservation and booked something else. In the meantime I kept my eye on that reservation and maybe a week later it finally showed back up as one reservation. Totally unpredictable.

What I've wondered about the revamped system that is coming is how will the system be looking at the inventory? If I'm looking for 10 days for instance, will it only show me inventory that is available for ten days in the same unit? I'm assuming it also show me what is available in two or more different units but will those stays still be treated as a split reservations needing more than one guest certificate? I know they expect this to help cut down on all those one or two orphan nights and also make inventory management much more efficient so the resorts aren't having to play around so much with the reservations trying to keep people in the same unit for their whole stays and sometimes messing up other reservations in the process. It could and should work. What do those of you who know computer systems think?

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think that at resorts that were traditional fixed weeks converted this will be a harder task to manage, and that will have to be left at the resort level to deal with. I feel their is likely to be more heartburn there. Many fixed week owners want to stay in 'their' unit, but a Wyndham points user has been placed in their unit. Couple this with GMs at certain resorts that have a bit of a God complex and think that they can place anyone anywhere they want regardless of room assignment be it VIP room assignment, fixed week owners, regular Wyndham reservation, and then the lowly RCI inbound exchange. Some of these obviously take inventory management choices out of the hand of the front desk.

At UDI resorts this can go much easier, as all inventory should be available on consecutive days. I actually think VIP room number reservations hamper their ability to manage inventory better, but I do not know what % reservations have 'do not move' on them. The do not have the fixed week owners in the mix which at least removes room constraints and check in day constraints.

I have some resorts I would be OK with just a preference, if they honored it, at others I might want a specific room, but I take 'do not move' situations because I often don't trust the front desk to do their jobs properly.

I also own HGVC and put in Room requests, as you can't book a specific room number. However HGVC does a decent job, at least for me, at honoring my requests. They seem to be better at running it more like a true hotel inventory.

happyhopian

Reaction score
If there is a 3 day block available and you book 2 of the days, (obviously in ERP) then the 1 day becomes available to be booked as a single day.

If you cancel that original 2 day ressie, does that 3 day block ever migrate back together or does it forever remain separated into a 2 day and a 1 day piece?

I've never noticed? I guess I could go and play but I thought I would ask first?
I've done this a lot. YES is the answer but only so long as it is the same room. Go book a 2 from a 3. Wait 24 hours. Cancel and you can rebook three (of coures assuming no one randomly book the 1 night in your unit). I do it all the time for a myriad of reasons.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just as a follow up, in my case, (as it turns out my nephew can't use the days I booked so I had to cancel,) the 2 days + 1 day I booked and then canceled ended joining back up as a 3 day in inventory.

So I guess it depends on the mood of the computer and/or the unit number that are underlying the available unit that makes the difference.