• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If so, it will make selling future WSJ units near impossible.

It wouldn't be a future buyer's responsibility to pay it. Vistana owns those units now, so they would have to pay the SA now, and the future buyer would buy it with the SA paid.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Just announced on news of St. John the national park will be closed for a year. What will tourists do if they can't even go to the beach? Won't get tourists there if 2/3 of the island is off limits.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My plan will be similar to DavidnRobin's. We love St John and will definitely be back no matter what happens. However, I'm afraid continuing the ownership at WSJ might not be financially sound if there is a hefty SA.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
How does one "walk away" from owning a timeshare without it affecting your credit score?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just announced on news of St. John the national park will be closed for a year. What will tourists do if they can't even go to the beach? Won't get tourists there if 2/3 of the island is off limits.

I could not find that announcement.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I could not find that announcement.
It was a FB post about 3 hours ago. Now I can't find the post either. It was from News of St John. One of the comments to that post said they had heard the same thing on the weather channel.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is sad...all the good memories...My plan is to wait and convert to SOs in the mean time while I have a clearer picture of damage, timeline, SAs, and MFs.

I know I will not get two weeks in a 3 BR Pool Villa and 1 week in 2 BR SB villa...but the show must go on while I use my Starpoints to get premium flights to far places instead of beautiful St John. Thinking about JFK-FRA-SIN-SYD in an A380-800 Suite thanks to my SOs converted to KrisFlyer miles :ponder: I'll just have to follow @Carolyn's Jimmy Buffett positive quote...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
This is what I see when I go to the link.

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
Not sure what I did, link doesn't work for me either.

I will try to attach a screen shot...
bbd4001458b30c22cbc2c02cdd0f2024.jpg

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
The key word is “likely.” There is no official US Govt or National Parks closure posting yet. Let’s wait and see.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
How does one "walk away" from owning a timeshare without it affecting your credit score?

I do not care about my credit score (unless it is needed for an old-age home...).
VGV has been/was taking back deeds, or VSE takes back deeds due to circumstances, or HOA declares bankruptcy...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
St Thomas won't be as lucky. Puerto Rico looks like they will get it pretty bad.

Maria appears to be going south of St Croix - good news for STJ/STT for the most part. Looks like Maria's eye wall will cut across PR.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Midnight - Buck Island getting sheared by Maria's Wall.

IMG_2626.jpg

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got reservations at the end of May for St John in 2018. Is it likely the resort will be closed in 2018?

Hope everyone is safe in St. John.

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
This morning, The Today Show interviewed a women who has lived on St John for 25 years. She and her family were temporarily staying at a Sheraton in Puerto Rico with many other displaced St John residents. She spoke about how they were told to relocate off island for 6 - 12 months. Her parents were supposed to fly out this morning which was not possible due to Maria.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Looks like the eye of Marie stayed to the south of St Croix and avoiding STJ. I wonder how they fared with even (lesser) hurricane force winds?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I would not be so sure.
I am a former owner at BlueBeard's Beach Club Resort on STT managed by Wyndham.
They had terrible news from the manager Jose that there was even more damage from Maria. The storm surge was much higher and lasted much longer then Irma.
See pictures on their Facebook page. Just heartbreaking.

Because of the prolonged storm surge, it makes me very concerned about the SB section of our resort.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It has been reported that H.Maria has sunk at least one of the car barges (Mr. B)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
WSJ posted on their FB page:
As our recovery efforts continue, we wanted to provide an update regarding Hurricane Maria. While the storm brought more wind and rain, we were fortunate to have weathered it with minimal impact. Everyone at the resort is safe and we are now returning our attention back to our clean-up efforts. Our thoughts are with everyone in Maria’s path.

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
As our recovery efforts continue, we wanted to provide an update regarding Hurricane Maria. While the storm brought more wind and rain, we were fortunate to have weathered it with minimal impact. Everyone at the resort is safe and we are now returning our attention back to our clean-up efforts. Our thoughts are with everyone in Maria’s path.

Great to hear. Thanks for sharing some good news.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5

So happy to hear this!

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.