• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Got it - hopefully it works out.
Added - it appears it did - as said...
The Front Desk does have ability to move villas - even between phases.

Hopefully the mosquitoes will let up.
Rain = Mosquitoes
It has been a wet Spring.
I prefer mosquitoes to the stinging plankton...

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No stinging plankton , so far.:thumbup:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
The pool villas are fixed weeks/fixed villas - you should get what you own (and not what someone else owns)... why would you get moved?

I was piggy backing on Gina's story and imagining a maintenance issue. Like you said, the Pool Villas are fixed weeks and fixed units, so, if something were to happen and my unit had issues then I would be out of luck.

In a worst case scenario, guess the entire resort may be booked and I may need to be sent to another hotel, hopefully caneel Bay, but likely to St Thomas. I guess this is getting too far fetched now...:ponder:

IIRC, my Villa gets its maintenance covered the third week of June.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was piggy backing on Gina's story and imagining a maintenance issue. Like you said, the Pool Villas are fixed weeks and fixed units, so, if something were to happen and my unit had issues then I would be out of luck.

In a worst case scenario, guess the entire resort may be booked and I may need to be sent to another hotel, hopefully caneel Bay, but likely to St Thomas. I guess this is getting too far fetched now...:ponder:

IIRC, my Villa gets its maintenance covered the third week of June.

You should check out my trip report from years ago - think it was called 'Out of Order' - where our villa was closed because of bees.
A classic... ;)

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
The pool villas are fixed weeks/fixed villas - you should get what you own (and not what someone else owns)... why would you get moved?

Not always true. They tried to move us out of Virgin Grand a few years ago. Said that our week 40 pool villa was scheduled for maintenance that week. We protested strongly, and they found us another week 40 pool villa...available perhaps because it was a bit off-season.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not always true. They tried to move us out of Virgin Grand a few years ago. Said that our week 40 pool villa was scheduled for maintenance that week. We protested strongly, and they found us another week 40 pool villa...available perhaps because it was a bit off-season.
Really? I was under the impression they sold 51 weeks so they would have 1 week that could be dedicated to maintenance. I suppose this only takes care of preventive maintenance and does not include unforeseen maintenance.:ponder:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should check out my trip report from years ago - think it was called 'Out of Order' - where our villa was closed because of bees.
A classic... ;)

Will look for it. Bee infestation, that's something I would not think about.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

As I mentioned - I wrote a trip report about our maintenance issue (bees) that caused us to be moved.
So... of course it is not always the case. But, worrying about it before arrival when it is not common? There is a lot more to worry about - especially if occupying the 1st week, so the issue would have to crop up during the stay (like the people that had to move out of our villa the prior week due to bees in the wall).

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
A classic... ;)

BTW, is retirement as sweet as advertised? I am 20+ years and can't wait.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
BTW, is retirement as sweet as advertised? I am 20+ years and can't wait.

It is great. Highly recommend it, but need to afford it... hopefully that is the case.
Although - I would take youth...

We are heading to STJ in <2 weeks. We hope to start traveling more - maybe get around to visiting @Westin5Star in Roatan some day. ;)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice, enjoy ST John. Please send updates and pics about Sunset Bay and new things you discover.

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
A very nice young woman in reception found us a 2 bedroom with two double beds in second BR. She spent about 20 minutes figuring where she could put us for 13 nights. We actually have a 2 BR loft that sleeps 10(2734). Way more than we need, but a very nice unit. I do miss parking outside our unit on the hill.

Great! Those are wonderful units. I believe we were actually in 2733, right nextdoor, when we went a few years ago! Have a wonderful trip!

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
If someone is staying at the main resort, are they allowed to use the pools in the Hill phase? I assume they can if they walk. But, how about if they want to drive. Would they be able to do it since there is a gate?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If someone is staying at the main resort, are they allowed to use the pools in the Hill phase? I assume they can if they walk. But, how about if they want to drive. Would they be able to do it since there is a gate?

No. No. And No.
VGV Owners pay for their pool areas - as well as Main Resort pool. BV, CV, and SB Owners do not pay for VGV pool areas.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Really? I was under the impression they sold 51 weeks so they would have 1 week that could be dedicated to maintenance. I suppose this only takes care of preventive maintenance and does not include unforeseen maintenance.:ponder:
Really.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. No. And No.
VGV Owners pay for their pool areas - as well as Main Resort pool. BV, CV, and SB Owners do not pay for VGV pool areas.

Glad to know, is this enforced?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, by the WSJ police... they are converting the Free-Cycle into a jail.
:clap: Nice one. Last time I was at WSJ, staying in BV :(, the front desk did not give me a key to open the jail (I mean Free-Cycle). I told them I owned 2 pool villa weeks and that did not matter. In a way, I liked the way it was handled and in a way I did not. The front desk rep said you can use the free cycle when you are staying at your villa and I thought it was fair.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has any Pool Villa owner ever been asked to allow another fellow Pool Villa owner access their storage closet?

Last time I was there at a presentation, I was told this was possible. The owner wishing to access his/her storage closet would do it accompanied by a security guard. A convenient time to access the storage closet, that would minimize inconvenience for the group occupying the villa, would be arranged.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Correct - VGV Owners also pay for the Free-Cycle, and the free-loading flatlanders (BV, CV, SB) do not. :D

You only pay for usage during your weeks via MFs, and not for weeks you do not own.
It would be great if people could behave themselves - but apparently not. Not even VGV Owners.
I posted photos of my cleanup last year of the FreeCycle shack.
VGV HOA is planning on supplying beach chairs - I wonder how long it will take for our HOA to supply the entire island with chairs (like WSJ towels). I hope the chairs are still around in 10 days, but I am prepared to buy my own as in previous years.

Last year (or maybe year before) the WhiteTrash Clan came up from the Main Resort to throw a party in our pool area (took it over) - a fight broke out - and they trashed the area. I called Security. These were adults- not kids.

I informed our BOD about Main Resorts folks coming to use our area, as well as the shambles the FreeCycle shed had become (and door was unlocked and opened - the shed has AC...). Unfortunately, these things slowly erode (like Chair Hogs). Apparently, I cannot state the obvious 'you can't fix stupid' because it will be redacted, so I won't... ;)

I think they probably allow access to your storage locker in the Pool villa - as long as people staying there are cool with it. I would just explain to people staying in the villa. I wish we had a storage locker - but flying 1st class this year - so I can bring more stuff like in the old days.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
See you there next week!! perhaps you can get the Freecycle cleaned and neat before I arrive?

Look forward to seeing you guys. Looks like y'all have been having some great adventures and successes.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
i would like to state that I have behaved and not crossed the gate for VGV while here! :thumbup: Wanted to show our guests the building 32 area but haven't ventured up there.;)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
i would like to state that I have behaved and not crossed the gate for VGV while here! :thumbup: Wanted to show our guests the building 32 area but haven't ventured up there.;)

Watch out for that ever-vigilant WSJ Security Force. :D
Hope your visit is pleasant - the 2Bd BV TH villas are nice.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I thought I would add a few random thoughts about our trip.

The week before and after Memorial Day are both good if you like minimal crowds. We enjoyed the relatively uncrowded beaches and establishments. The only time we had difficulty finding parking was at the B2B power swim meeting at Cinnamon Bay. The B2B power swim was a great experience. DH and I were part of the kayak safety team and paddled along with the swimmers to make sure they didn't end up in the rocks or on their way to Jost.

I agree with another poster from a while back the walk to building 27 gets old, but the view doesn't!!

I was surprised at how hot the temps were already, I can't imagine what July and August are like. The amount of flowers in bloom was amazing.

Went to our "update", told the nice salesperson Sophie that the only thing I would consider buying from the developer would be the week before or after our week 9 in our unit. She said that was like a needle in a haystack. I said I know, but that would be the only thing I would consider. (I didn't end up purchasing anything.) Received $125 sand dollars which we exchanged for two tickets on the turtle trip to Buck Island. (Value $250) so that was worth it. I got a couple of pictures when a turtle surfaced just inches from me! I was so excited, almost screwed up getting any pix! They tried to talk us into a 1 BR EOY on the hill I said no, the MF are almost what my 2 BR is. They had no comment for that. Then tried to get us to buy a 2 BR EOY in BV plus they would requal our 2 BR VGV I said no. Tried to convince me that it was such a deal if I averaged out what I had paid for my resale. Sorry that's fuzzy math. I can just buy another resale! My VGV doesn't need to be requal'd. Then tried to talk us into an explorer package. I said no. The dude looked at my DH and asked if he was interested, to come back without me. I assume he was trying to be funny...it wasn't.

Went to two owners receptions. Met a woman who lives on island and has a business renting out weeks for owners at the Westin. (Both fractional and TS week owners.) Got her card for future reference. Met a nice couple at the next reception who bought from the developer a while ago, but now the unit doesn't fit their needs. I told them about the woman and about TUG. He was disappointed at what his unit would be worth on the resale market. Someone else told him to just hold onto the unit because once the conversion of the hotel was done then his unit would be worth more since no more units would be available. I didn't comment on that. He has a VGV studio so I told him it is worth something, but he didn't like what it was worth.

Made the trip down (and back up, no boat ride this year) Reef Bay. Made the hike to Ram's head. Really enjoyed the view from Ram's head and the hike wasn't too bad. Saw a big land crab at the salt pond bay beach on the way back. First time to see one of those. He was BIG.

Hiked to Honeymoon and Salomon for the first time. Saw two things at Honeymoon I have never seen before. A squad (looked that one up) of Squid, and my first Mongoose. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye as the critter was trying to steal the lunch remnants from the couple about 30 feet from us. We scared him away, he didn't get what he wanted!

We kayaked out to Waterlemon. (We brought our own kayak along that fits in a checked bag, worth it since we were there for two weeks.) I agree with others, Waterlemon has the best snorkeling on the island.

We took the Bad Kitty on the 4 island trip to the BVI. My DH and I behaved, the two 20 somethings with us, not so much. One couldn't understand why she could not stay awake for dinner and fell asleep at the Barefoot Cowboy?? That's called passin' out my dear!

Overall a great trip, but I think we will stick to February/March a little cooler and fewer skeeters.

Status
Not open for further replies.