• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The original WSJ thread started in part over the sofa couch. ;)

We do not use as bed, but they are uncomfortable to sit upon due to the material - pretty true across all of our resorts. Likely also due that in tropical resorts - more exposed skin. We use a flat bed sheet to cover the sofas - cleaner too.

rubbernyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV
WKORV-NN
Bella
Here is a noobie question since I am still confused about this: I am looking at a Bay Vista 2BR, gold season (34-50 hurricane season) 95,700 staroptions. Can we only book the resort during those weeks or could we deposit the options towards another period? Also, being a mandatory resort, do we get the options and can therefore bank them? Thank you in advance.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Here is a noobie question since I am still confused about this: I am looking at a Bay Vista 2BR, gold season (34-50 hurricane season) 95,700 staroptions. Can we only book the resort during those weeks or could we deposit the options towards another period? Also, being a mandatory resort, do we get the options and can therefore bank them? Thank you in advance.

Hi - WSJ-BV is not VSN Mandatory (only VGV phase) - the SOs do not transfer upon resale. So you are using them to only stay at BV - unless plan to use via II (ill advised based on MFs) or rent out.

I do not own BV (we have 2 weeks in VGV phase - resale) - but the topic of staying at a resale Voluntary resort outside of season owned has been discussed here. Perhaps a BV Owner will chime in, but based on my recall of this issue is that you can use to stay in another season based on your SO allotment. Note: I am not 100% sure if this applies to BV, but have been told that it does apply to WSJ-CV and WSJ-SB (recall those phases use HomeResort options that are more flexible than BV SOs).

You will want to confirm this if changing seasons is important to you.

Last edited:

rubbernyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV
WKORV-NN
Bella
Thank you David,

I called Westin to confirm and you are correct, only the VGV phase is mandatory. As far as seasons, it can only be used during the allotted weeks, so something else to keep in mind. Thanks again for the quick reply.

We own outright from the developer, so I've never looked at resale before. I need to keep up to date with the boards more!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You may want to triple check - I recall discussions that it can be used outside of deeded season.
For example - you have to reserve at >8 months or lose it? I do not think so. Often people at WSJ/Vistana do not know rules.

If you are to buy something like resale BV - and you are planning on buying from VSE anyway. Best to buy resale first and then requalify the resale into the system. Not saying this is a good idea or not - just that some (like me...) have done this. Of course, best to bring in as many resale SO as possible. Generally this is mostly done to get to 5* (not me, but I am a special kind of idiot...)

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Thank you David,

I called Westin to confirm and you are correct, only the VGV phase is mandatory. As far as seasons, it can only be used during the allotted weeks, so something else to keep in mind. Thanks again for the quick reply.

We own outright from the developer, so I've never looked at resale before. I need to keep up to date with the boards more!
In Coral Vista (Voluntary), owners can book outside their season at the 8 months mark AS IF it was a StarOption reservation but even resale owners can do this. So I can use my 95.7K HomeOptions to book in Resort Season (19-50) at 12 months or in Diamond Season (51-52, 1-18) at 8 months.

Edit: I had looked into buying in Bay Vista and the unit would only float in the season it is deeded (51,52 1-18....19-33.....34-50) And you need to remember that 50% of that phase was sold as fixed week/unit but I suspect this would be mainly in high season (51,52 1-18)

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Coral Vista (Voluntary), owners can book outside their season at the 8 months mark AS IF it was a StarOption reservation but even resale owners can do this. So I can use my 95.7K HomeOptions to book in Resort Season (19-50) at 12 months or in Diamond Season (51-52, 1-18) at 8 months.

Edit: I had looked into buying in Bay Vista and the unit would only float in the season it is deeded (51,52 1-18....19-33.....34-50) And you need to remember that 50% of that phase was sold as fixed week/unit but I suspect this would be mainly in high season (51,52 1-18)
But in that scenario you are using home options not star options

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Up to 50% was the limit imposed by SVO - I think most were sold as float (at least in my experience), except perhaps those during event weeks.

Increase in Property taxes and proposed TS tax, and increase in alcohol taxes coming to USVI - keep in mind before buying.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
So... to answer @rubbernyc - when buying resale BV - you have to use during deeded season?
What happens at <8 months - 'best of luck'?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But in that scenario you are using home options not star options
Yes, they are HomeOptions. You do not get StarOptions with Coral Vista resale

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
:rolleyes:
So... to answer @rubbernyc - when buying resale BV - you have to use during deeded season?
What happens at <8 months - 'best of luck'?
Yes, use is in one of three deeded seasons reserved at 12 months out. At 8 months, it opens up to everyone else via StarOptions.

In the same way, VGV reservations can be confirmed to your deeded week/unit 18-10 months out. At 10 months to 8 months it is open to other VGV owners with the same season and unit type. And at 8 months it opens up to everyone with StarOptions.

Don't know about Sunset Phase; but will ask in 2 weeks when I go for my "update" to get my free snorkel trip. :rolleyes::cool::thumbup:

rubbernyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV
WKORV-NN
Bella
Thank you all again for your valuable input. I wish that Vistana would be more forthcoming in answering all of these questions. I've called twice and pretty much gotten the same answer each time. The BV resale unit would be locked in to the Gold Season (weeks 34-50) and cannot be booked any other time, even at 8 months out in other seasons.

That contradicts what the owner says, but I forgot to ask him if he is the original owner or purchased from resale as well. Quick note, he says that the MF for 2017 were only $1067, is that correct?

I wish I had looked into buying a resale before we bought in Nanea so that we could have it re-qualified, but we were not really thinking of buying until we saw the price. As the years go by, more and more family members want to go to Hawaii with us and we figured more SO's would help.

On a separate note, I will input our numbers into the Nanea sales discussion as well.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you all again for your valuable input. I wish that Vistana would be more forthcoming in answering all of these questions. I've called twice and pretty much gotten the same answer each time. The BV resale unit would be locked in to the Gold Season (weeks 34-50) and cannot be booked any other time, even at 8 months out in other seasons.

That is correct
That contradicts what the owner says, but I forgot to ask him if he is the original owner or purchased from resale as well.
He must be an original owner if he thinks the StarOptions transfer with resale.
If he purchased resale, he would not have StarOptions.
Reminder, many people do not understand what they own.
quick note, he says that the MF for 2017 were only $1067, is that correct?

seems low to me, check the maint fee data base.
I wish I had looked into buying a resale before we bought in Nanea so that we could have it re-qualified, but we were not really thinking of buying until we saw the price. As the years go by, more and more family members want to go to Hawaii with us and we figured more SO's would help.

On a separate note, I will input our numbers into the Nanea sales discussion as well.

rubbernyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV
WKORV-NN
Bella
If I can further pick everyone's minds, what are your thoughts on an Annual Hillside / Grand villa 3BR, 125k SO at $6800 with MF $2900. High MF, but much lower price than retail.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I can further pick everyone's minds, what are your thoughts on an Annual Hillside / Grand villa 3BR, 125k SO at $6800 with MF $2900. High MF, but much lower price than retail.
Price is reasonable, if it works for your schedule. The Hillside units are fixed weeks and it is not very likely you will be able to exchange to another Pool villa. They will give SOs but at a low SO/MF ratio.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Price is reasonable, if it works for your schedule. The Hillside units are fixed weeks and it is not very likely you will be able to exchange to another Pool villa. They will give SOs but at a low SO/MF ratio.
Rubbernyc
The high season gets 257K (ish) SO for same MF. Might be worth the higher buy in. Don't rush into anything. Do your home work and you will decide what is best for you.

Last edited:

rubbernyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV
WKORV-NN
Bella
Thank you again, Helios and GrayFal. I do need to study this more, as I thought it was floating all season. I see it now as fixed week 33; floats 21-42.

Thank goodness for this site and all of the help.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Do not focus on 'retail' price - that is inconsequential. Same issue came-up in WKV thread - value is what it is worth now and in future to you (and not others) - what SVO/VSE sold them for (or previous resale price...) makes no matter.

Be aware that VGV weeks are fixed. IMO, if you buy BV (resale), buy to use it.

If you are looking for resale SOs (vs. MF) - then WSJ-VGV, WKV, WKORV/N, or SVV (in 2 phases) {also, HRA, but that is another beast...}.
Also, shoot for highest season (Plat+/Plat), but that can come at a cost. Location is also important, whether you plan to use and how often. Also, ability to rent - some do not think this is important, but it is when it comes to a value evaluation.

As to the above 3Bd pool villa value - reasonable price I guess, but remember that these weeks are fixed and this is a low season villa - careful there - especially if mid-Aug to Nov. As mentioned above - try for a better season (of course more costly). Also two of the pool buildings (B41-B42?) have a movable wall between upper bedrooms. Otherwise, the 3Bd pool villas are great - no view though. Also - property taxes are paid separate for VGV (make sure taxes are current), and current discussion about $30/day for USVI TS owners.

take your time - research

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also two of the pool buildings (B41-B42?) have a movable wall between upper bedrooms. Otherwise, the 3Bd pool villas are great
B41, B42, and 4515 have collapsible walls that divide one large bedroom into two bedrooms. They only have one bathroom upstairs instead of two. They also don't have a spa in the enclosed patio. They are rated for 8 people instead of 10 (per Vistana).

Some question B43 and 4410-4414 can accommodate 10...YMMV...This is a Vistana number not mine...In my case, it fits two parents and two kids very comfortably...:cool:

Last edited:

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score
New topic - VGV - St. John Condo. Owners Association Annual Meeting - 2/27 at 9am at WJS. Anyone going? With the technology today, I wonder why they can't/don't have a webinar or some other type of video recording of it for people who can't attend.

Thoughts?

jschmeling

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quick question - anyone know the manufacturer and/or model and/or measurements of the teak patio chairs on the balconies for the villas up on the hillside? We own in Coral Vista, but last time we were there we were up on the hill. We now have room for some patio furniture, and at one time I took a photo of the manufacturer tag, but now can't find it.

Second question, as a Coral Vista owner I love the floating weeks, but I can't figure out how to book to make sure we are in the Coral Vista section where we bought. It was fine last time to be above in a bigger unit, but I'm not clear how to have certainty to the area we bought? (September visit planned FWIW.)

OKPACIFIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own coral vista too. If all you own is coral vista and you bought from the developer, when you go on line and request available rooms in St John at 12-8 months out, all that will show are coral vista rooms in your season. After 8 months you will also see bay vista and virgin grand villas as options too

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
For those who don't read the Caribbean general forum, the Finance Committee reduced the daily fee/tax to $25 per night (from $30). Now it's off to the Rules Committee.

My expectation is that it will pass. Get ready to add another $175 for your week of vacation.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
For those who don't read the Caribbean general forum, the Finance Committee reduced the daily fee/tax to $25 per night (from $30). Now it's off to the Rules Committee.

My expectation is that it will pass. Get ready to add another $175 for your week of vacation.

Just wonderful. A page from the Hawaii playbook, tax the TS owners who have no way to fight back. :mad: Can't vote out the ones that imposed the tax, we have no rights. All we can do is email to complain which has zero impact or stop going which will have the exact opposite effect on what "they" are trying to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.