• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Any clue how long this would be? Once you get to talk to the immigration person.

All depends on "traffic". Usually at US Customs in STJ it is not too bad. But we are a rather efficient country.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
All depends on "traffic". Usually at US Customs in STJ it is not too bad. But we are a rather efficient country.

This has to do with BVI (not USVI) - the issue is that the boat Captain will no longer be able checkin the 'souls' on their boat. Now all passengers (and luggage/bags) will need to go thru BVI Immigration/Customs individually. If you have ever been to the BVI Customs/Immigration dock on West-End Tortola (Sopers Hole) or JVD or Virgin Gorda (The Baths) on a charter boat - this is totally ridiculous - on top of 'officers' moving at typical island time expediency. Not to mention that criminals smuggling themselves/guns/drugs (etc.) into the BVI - which is the purpose of this change - are not going thru BVI Customs/Immigration in the first place.
Oh well... typical of the BVI Gov't biting the hand that feeds them. Other than money laundering (off-shore banking) - tourism is the only industry in the BVI.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
March 2018 unconfirmed reservation

Anyone else seeing a 2018 unconfirmed fixed week reservation showing up in dashboard already? Isn't this kinda early for it to show up? :shrug:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Anyone else seeing a 2018 unconfirmed fixed week reservation showing up in dashboard already? Isn't this kinda early for it to show up? :shrug:

My 2018 fixed week is showing for SVR, I've already deposited 2017 in II and traded it if that makes any difference.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

This is common. Our WSJ-VGV weeks (fixed) shows up 18 months early, and they can be confirmed. It has been this way since before on-line access.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Parking

Could someone who has experience staying in the main resort tell me what to expect for parking?

We own in VGV and the parking is right outside our building. We booked outside our ownership to allow a family member to participate in the Beach to Beach power swim over Memorial day weekend and subsequently will be somewhere in the main resort. (Probably with a kitchentte:annoyed:)

I am worried since we will be there during a holiday the parking availability will be even more challenging. What happens if there isn't anywhere to park?

The resort website isn't very helpful, suggests using the plentiful taxis. I can't even imagine trying to use a taxi to go to Rams head for sunrise or sunset(one of the boat operators suggested sunrise). All the way around the island in the back of a pickup??

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Gina - I am confused by your post. Did you really want to know how to park at WSJ when there is no parking? and then surprised that the resort website doesn't mention what happens when there is no parking available?

Yes, there is parking - even overflow parking. WSJ acts as a conference center for large gathering on St John (e.g. graduations) with people from all over the island coming to WSJ - and parking of found in these cases (usually along the road heading towards VGV). So, don't overthink this.

You do have a concern about getting to Salt Pond (Ram Head) by taxi-bus for sunrise/sunset - I would not recommend this. There is a VITRANS bus that runs to Salt Pond, but not pre-dawn or after sunset. And a taxi would not only be hugely expensive, but logistics of getting one to go out to Salt Pond predawn (for sunrise) or after sunset is a problem because how would you expect to be picked-up by a taxi for the return back to WSJ? This is not a regular taxi route as there is not much more beyond SaltPond.

IMO - you will need a car to do this (at least w/o worry). I would not attempt sunrise/sunset at Ram Head w/o a car. You should be aware that it is a ~40 min hike from SaltPond to RamHead. In the dark? make sure you have a flashlight (we used the flashlight on our iPhone)

Last edited:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Gina - I am confused by your post. Did you really want to know how to park at WSJ when there is no parking? and then surprised that the resort website doesn't mention what happens when there is no parking available?

Yes, there is parking - even overflow parking. WSJ acts as a conference center for large gathering on St John (e.g. graduations) with people from all over the island coming to WSJ - and parking of found in these cases (usually along the road heading towards VGV). So, don't overthink this.

You do have a concern about getting to Salt Pond (Ram Head) by taxi-bus for sunrise/sunset - I would not recommend this. There is a VITRANS bus that runs to Salt Pond, but not pre-dawn or after sunset. And a taxi would not only be hugely expensive, but logistics of getting one to go out to Salt Pond predawn (for sunrise) or after sunset is a problem because how would you expect to be picked-up by a taxi for the return back to WSJ? This is not a regular taxi route as there is not much more beyond SaltPond.

IMO - you will need a car to do this (at least w/o worry). I would not attempt sunrise/sunset at Ram Head w/o a car. You should be aware that it is a ~40 min hike from SaltPond to RamHead. In the dark? make sure you have a flashlight (we used the flashlight on our iPhone)

Why is my asking if someone else had the experience of no parking available at the resort and what did they do so confusing? I asked a question through VSE dashboard, but that will be answered by someone in a cubicle in Orlando, if they even bother to answer the question.

The website says there is "limited parking" at the resort and suggests using taxis. So I was asking what to do when I have a rental jeep and the "limited Parking" is gone. Yes, I am asking if there is overflow parking and wanted to know where that is. If the overflow parking is on the hill to VGV will the security gate let me through if I am staying at the main resort?

I had no intention of going to Rams head trail in a taxi. I was making a point as to the ludicrious suggestion by the resort to use taxi's to get everywhere, when getting to somwhere such as Rams head trail would be next to impossible in the early morning or evening hours.

We have been to the rams head trail before, we use our dive lights.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was just trying to help - I guess I did not. Sorry.
Good point about the new gate, though. I would expect to be kept open during this time.
I have only seen overflow (in the evening on a Sat nite) for the Gifft School graduation.
Then again, we travel in June and not high-season.

If you are really concerned - you should call the Front Desk (or Concierge) at WSJ and ask. Most live on island and have worked at WSJ for some time (esp concierges). They can answer this - I would not expect some Orlando dweeb who likely has never been to WSJ to be able to answer this. I expect it is a uncommon event, and why the website does not rise to this level of detail.
They do not mention many occurances that are more common than overflow parking (e.g. GCB deemed unsafe, power and water outages, ferry breakdown, etc)
Adapt.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows the current Ferry situation?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Yes, I am asking if there is overflow parking and wanted to know where that is. If the overflow parking is on the hill to VGV will the security gate let me through if I am staying at the main resort?

I think so. When we stayed in the VG section, our room key allowed us to enter through the main resort.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I think so. When we stayed in the VG section, our room key allowed us to enter through the main resort.

I think Gina was talking other way around. Room key from non-VGV villa opening gate to VGV - as to park along road heading up the hill in the case of overflow.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Anyone knows the current Ferry situation?

There are 2 car barges (Love City) running - with a 3rd (Mr B) expected to be running based on island time - sometime between now and forever...

The passenger ferries (WSJ and public) have not changed.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Could someone who has experience staying in the main resort tell me what to expect for parking?

We own in VGV and the parking is right outside our building. We booked outside our ownership to allow a family member to participate in the Beach to Beach power swim over Memorial day weekend and subsequently will be somewhere in the main resort. (Probably with a kitchentte:annoyed:)

I am worried since we will be there during a holiday the parking availability will be even more challenging. What happens if there isn't anywhere to park?

The resort website isn't very helpful, suggests using the plentiful taxis. I can't even imagine trying to use a taxi to go to Rams head for sunrise or sunset(one of the boat operators suggested sunrise). All the way around the island in the back of a pickup??

The main parking lot is next to the tennis courts and I think holds about 60-75 cars (4 rows). About a 1/4 to 1/3 of them were O'Connors cars. We were there in June and never had a problem finding a parking spot no matter what time of day we returned (usually late afternoon). Maybe if you rented from O'Connor they would hold a spot for you? Otherwise there's a staff/maintenance parking area just north of the lot which could probably do in a pinch. It always looked pretty empty except for a few vehicles.

I think Gina was talking other way around. Room key from non-VGV villa opening gate to VGV - as to park along road heading up the hill in the case of overflow.

We never tried to drive into the VGV area as our 'lowland' key cards would not open the freecycle bldg door. We assumed the key card wouldn't work either on the VGV gate. It makes sense for VGV key cards to work on the main gate because guests would need to get to main reception to check-out or use other services.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 2 car barges (Love City) running - with a 3rd (Mr B) expected to be running based on island time - sometime between now and forever...

The passenger ferries (WSJ and public) have not changed.

Thanks for the info, for future reference, where do you get it? Is it a simple online search?

Bill4728

Reaction score

When we were there in June, the main parking lot near the tennis courts always had parking BUT there is a overflow lot just beyond it, that had no cars in it the whole time we were there. I assume that that is where you'd park

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Heading back to St John on 10/1. Any updates on what restaurants will be closed? The one website that lists the closures looks like it hasn't been updated.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
When we were there in June, the main parking lot near the tennis courts always had parking BUT there is a overflow lot just beyond it, that had no cars in it the whole time we were there. I assume that that is where you'd park

What's the weather like in June? Or better yet, when is the best time to go there? I've been, but was on a cruise ship. Been in St. Thomas too many times, so we took the ferry and a taxi to the beach in St. John (actually it was the Rock Resort Beach on St. John; I was a travel agent at the time and did a site inspection) ... but it was a long time ago.

I bought into Nanea in Maui but don't plan on going there until 2018. Considering trading my 81K options for St. Johns. Can also go in the fall (but I sort of remember it's hurricane season).

You don't have any 1 bedrooms, just studios? Or they just don't come up online.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for the info, for future reference, where do you get it? Is it a simple online search?

FaceBook - multiple pages on St John. just put in St John in search field and will take you to top viewed sites.
Active St John
News of St John
Tradewinds

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Heading back to St John on 10/1. Any updates on what restaurants will be closed? The one website that lists the closures looks like it hasn't been updated.

I saw an update about a month ago - Can't recall which site (linked from FaceBook) News of St John? Active St John?

St John Spice has one
http://www.stjohnspice.com/index.php/restaurants

once set - it's not like it will change much. it is their cleanup travel time.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
What's the weather like in June? Or better yet, when is the best time to go there? I've been, but was on a cruise ship. Been in St. Thomas too many times, so we took the ferry and a taxi to the beach in St. John (actually it was the Rock Resort Beach on St. John; I was a travel agent at the time and did a site inspection) ... but it was a long time ago.

I bought into Nanea in Maui but don't plan on going there until 2018. Considering trading my 81K options for St. Johns. Can also go in the fall (but I sort of remember it's hurricane season).

You don't have any 1 bedrooms, just studios? Or they just don't come up online.

Hot, humid, still has wind (hopefully) - lowest month for rain. Calm, warm seas.
When is best time? Depends on what you are looking for (and what are you escaping from?)
For us? Late mid-May to mid-June (been going for >10 years in June)

The only 1Bd are in VGV phase.
Studios in VGV, CV, and SB phases.

It is St John.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Parking

Thanks for the responses.

Since we have not stayed in the main resort I didn't know what to expect and the "limited Parking" on the resort website concerned me. We rent from Amalie, love the convenience, even if renting from in-town has in-town parking benefits.

The freecycle is another question. Now I know the freecycle is supposed to be for VGV, because we, as owners, are the ones that paid for it. (At least that is what I remember reading.) As a VGV owner, staying in the main resort, will I have access to the freecycle? I think probably not. :confused: (To be honest I have never used it anyway. I looked in there once, but only saw some laundry detergent :p)

Oh well, 13 nights in St. John, is it May yet?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for the responses.

Since we have not stayed in the main resort I didn't know what to expect and the "limited Parking" on the resort website concerned me. We rent from Amalie, love the convenience, even if renting from in-town has in-town parking benefits.

The freecycle is another question. Now I know the freecycle is supposed to be for VGV, because we, as owners, are the ones that paid for it. (At least that is what I remember reading.) As a VGV owner, staying in the main resort, will I have access to the freecycle? I think probably not. :confused: (To be honest I have never used it anyway. I looked in there once, but only saw some laundry detergent :p)

Oh well, 13 nights in St. John, is it May yet?

You must have missed my FC photos from last June - a bit more than laundry detergent...
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1898559&postcount=1228

It is the VGV villa key that gets you into the FC - there is no special key for VGV Owners that are staying at main resort.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
You must have missed my FC photos from last June - a bit more than laundry detergent...
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1898559&postcount=1228

It is the VGV villa key that gets you into the FC - there is no special key for VGV Owners that are staying at main resort.

I saw your post, it looked great after you cleaned it up. I was just mentioning that when I looked(Feb/Mar) it was pretty empty. I probably didn't look until mid week. In fact when I looked the door wasn't shut/locked.

I didn't expect a special key. Like I mentioned I have not used the free cycle. But I think the free-cycle idea is good, and the main resort should consider adding one as well. Especially since the entire resort will soon be all villas.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I agree that all phases of WSJ should have Free Cycles.
We swing by as we drive up to our villa, and find more stuff around checkin/checkout days.
I also find the door open (meaning not closed all the way) which is likely the same Owners that just throw stuff in there. Not sure why some people find it so difficult to make sure the door is shut when leaving - the shack has AC after all.
I am not sure if many people staying in VGV are even aware of the FreeCycle. It has never been mentioned to me upon checkin (for example), nor any info about it in the villa that I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.