• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am waiting to see the paper bill.
That would be Dolphin Market - make sure you check dates on perishable foods.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
VGV taxes

I received my paper bill a couple weeks ago about two days before the "due date". I know things are done differently on island, but you would think they would A) send all the bills out at once and B) more than two days before the bill is due. I know late charges do not apply until after Sept 30, but the due date was still August 1st.

I have not tried to pay online yet, so can't comment on that.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Our lovely week in St John is quickly ending...
Our flight was delayed and after we picked up our luggage and car, we realized we would not be able to make our 1 pm reserved barge time. Called Love City and was told we can take a later ferry but our reservation no longer had priority. Arrived at 2:15, about 20 cars in front of us. By 3 pm, more cars lined up but we all got on the barge. BTW, only one barge running last Sat.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We did something really dumb this trip. With three people waiting for luggage and DH going to pick up car, we somehow forgot one bag which had our snorkeling gears. Didn't realize until 5 pm. Called American and confirmed its still at the airport. I called Westin looking for help. Ricky at the taxi stand was outstanding. He contacted Westin Lounge at the airport then AA's desk at STT, arranging AA to drop our bag at the Weatin office. Unfortunately by then the last ferry already left. Ricky called us at our unit to tell us our bag was in Westin's possession and would be delivered Sun around noon. Without our snorkeling gears, we decided to get day passes at Honeymoon Beach (50% off), and had a wonderful time. By the time we got back to our unit, our bag was waiting for us. We were very impressed by Westin's service. Thanks Westin and AA!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We did something really dumb this trip. With three people waiting for luggage and DH going to pick up car, we somehow forgot one bag which had our snorkeling gears. Didn't realize until 5 pm. Called American and confirmed its still at the airport. I called Westin looking for help. Ricky at the taxi stand was outstanding. He contacted Westin Lounge at the airport then AA's desk at STT, arranging AA to drop our bag at the Weatin office. Unfortunately by then the last ferry already left. Ricky called us at our unit to tell us our bag was in Westin's possession and would be delivered Sun around noon. Without our snorkeling gears, we decided to get day passes at Honeymoon Beach (50% off), and had a wonderful time. By the time we got back to our unit, our bag was waiting for us. We were very impressed by Westin's service. Thanks Westin and AA!

I thought it odd that they would quote two days for the luggage to make it from St Thomas to St John. It is like there no ferry on Saturdays? Glad they got it to you quick.

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trip Report

Itinerary:

8/3 - 8/6 Rental house on Tortola
8/6 - 8/13 WSJ

Arrived STT Wednesday August 3 around 1PM. Taxied to the CA ferry terminal. Check in was a complete cluster as multiple ferry companies are sharing a very small space. Learned if you are not there 30 minutes prior to departure time, you may not get on the next ferry. After an hour of drinks in snacks in the bar, we were on our way to West End Tortola.

Customs & immigration at West End was a piece of cake. Rented a car through Jerry's Car Rental (jerrysrental.com)...Jerry was waiting for us at the ferry terminal. Two minute drive to his office, five minutes of paperwork and we were on our way. Good car & good service.

Rented Casa Flamboyant through VRBO. (https://www.vrbo.com/3932079ha) The 270' view from that house was breathtaking...even more breathtaking than the amazing pictures in the house's profile. Price was amazingly low...about $400 a night for 4 people all in. Great hosts...provided a local prepaid cell phone, beach towels, mats, chairs, noodles, grill, charcoal, bottled water...they really thought of everything. A couple of little issues...like the TV has previous water damage and the dishwasher didn't work...but neither impacted us hardly at all. We absolutely would recommend to others.

Saturday returned the car to Jerry who drove us to the ferry terminal. Any ferry going from Tortola to Red Hook MUST stop in St. John for immigration, so we had plenty of options. Fast trip over, cab to the WSJ, picked up a rental from O'connor on the resort. My wife and I had 9 friends joins in St. John and all 4 villas were ready by 3 PM...the most efficient check in I've ever experienced in my 8 trips there. (no lines, keys all ready, no hassle about adding multiple names to reservations)

Monday did a sail for 10 to Jost on the sailing yacht Survivan (/http://www.stjohnyachtcharters.com/). Great day. Snorkel stop at Lovango Cay, slow sail to Jost (only about 6 knt winds all day). Lunch at Hendo's Hideout which was good but a bit slow. Drinks at Soggy Dollar. Slow beautiful sail back. Highly recommended for groups larger than 6 but smaller than 13.

Wednesday did a power boat trip for 6 with Island Roots. (http://www.islandrootscharters.com/) Jason was off island on his honeymoon so his relief captain Tom is who took us out. He looks like a young surfer boy but he was professional, knowledgeable and gave a great day. Snorkeled The Indians, Wreck of the Rhone (Salt Island) and Mingo Cay. Lunch at Cooper Island Beach Club, drinks at Willie T. Great day.

Other stuff on island was its usual great. Turtle populations at Maho and Francis look very strong. Reef at Maho was not as teaming with life as I remembered it. Construction was barely noticeable while at the resort pool.

Public ferry back to STT and subsequent taxi to the airport was very easy. Airline counter lines, customs and immigration at the airport was all of 15 minutes, but in fairness we got there at 12:30 and about an hour later, from what I could tell, it was far worse.

Now counting the days until I can go back....

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just received 1 (of 2) property tax bills in the mail.
Pay before Sept 30. (due Aug 1)
Tax rate = 0.014070 which I believe about the same tax rate as Maui
Assessment of ~$11K (2Bd TH)
Tax = $156

btw - the USVI is once again trying to get new tax rates established - wonder how much more TS owners (and STJ owners) will take the brunt of new tax rates?

tammymacb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got mine also. We moved last year and I noted the address change on the form. Apparently they ignored it because they sent the bill to the wring address again and it had to be forwarded.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
ekinggill, great trip report! Thanks for sharing.

Ditto!

We've not been able to go for the last two summers for family commitments but looking forward to returning summer 2017. In the meantime will have to live vicariously ;)

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Soggy Dollar Bar, 2009, bought with soggy money.

Thanks for the trip report. I prefer the PK at Soggy Dollar - the Pussers' PK was made with the British Navy Rum - rough.
Pussers also had nickel beer nite back in 91 - John Courage - insane...

We were out with Jason and Tom on Island Roots in 2014 - during Tom's training - great time (and the girls were happy...) - always professional. Was able to snorkel at Flanagans Is.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Has anyone done an extra night in town?

Due to Starwood changing my reservation I will need an extra night in November and because of better airfare, an extra night in February.

The cost to stay at the Westin is quite high.
Has anyone booked a room for two people someplace in town?

Our plan in November would be to check out of WSJ but spend the day at the resort. We would go into town around 5, check into the room and then have dinner at say Rhum Lines before leaving in the morning for the airport.

In February we are arriving on a Friday for a Saturday check-in.

Looking for an option around $200. Does not need to be fancy, just clean with AC.
All help appreciated.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Since you have to fly in and out of St Thomas Why not stay on St Thomas for the night?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Since you have to fly in and out of St Thomas Why not stay on St Thomas for the night?

I might do that for the Friday arrival.

The problem with st Thomas is there are few reasonable places with food options. Plus taxi costs. If I hVe to do multiple taxi trips with luggage and then back and forth for dinner it can easily add $60-80 to the cost. And I prefer to extend my time in paradise. I could go to the Marriott on STT but again, quite costly. I guess I could stay at the Westin until after dinner and then go to STT but prefer not to do that.

I "have to " take a taxi from WSJ to the ferry so staying at a guest house in town seems like a reasonable option.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
It's not the Westin or Marriott but for one night it was reasonable and decent. We stayed at Paradise Cove Cottages when we flew into STT. Since we had a long travel day and wanted to take advantage of our time at WSJ, we decided that we would fly in a day early and stay on ST for the night before taking the ferry over the next day. Paradise Cove served our purpose and we will do it again for our next trip.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Due to Starwood changing my reservation I will need an extra night in November and because of better airfare, an extra night in February.

The cost to stay at the Westin is quite high.

Has anyone booked a room for two people someplace in town?

Our plan in November would be to check out of WSJ but spend the day at the resort. We would go into town around 5, check into the room and then have dinner at say Rhum Lines before leaving in the morning for the airport.

In February we are arriving on a Friday for a Saturday check-in.

Looking for an option around $200. Does not need to be fancy, just clean with AC.

All help appreciated.

There is a boutique hotel in Cruz Bay - St John Inn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a boutique hotel in Cruz Bay - St John Inn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks nice and would have been perfect but it has a two night minimum.

Edit. I think you might mean this one? http://hotelcruzbay.com Hotel Cruz Bay Boutigue Hotel. This one does have a two night minimum. Hmmmmmmmm....

St John Inn does not appear to have a minimum so will check it out. Thanks.

Double edit. I now have a Resie at St John Inn for November http://www.stjohninn.com Just what we were looking for. Double Thanks! Free happy hour and breakfast. Can walk to restaurants. Perfect!

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's not the Westin or Marriott but for one night it was reasonable and decent. We stayed at Paradise Cove Cottages when we flew into STT. Since we had a long travel day and wanted to take advantage of our time at WSJ, we decided that we would fly in a day early and stay on ST for the night before taking the ferry over the next day. Paradise Cove served our purpose and we will do it again for our next trip.

Thanks for the recommendation but I just booked Bunker Hill near downtown. Fairly good reviews. Will see what else I can find. Was looking at Bluebeards Castle for the Friday arrival as they have beautiful views and two nice restaurants but the website stated I had to call for my dates.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Unpopular change in BVI immigration.
Everyone has to do a face to face when entering BVI
This will really cut into your day at sea.

http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/en/news/hm-customs-makes-unpopular-move-to-protect-vi

Typical of the VI gov't...
Only solution - not go, or get there 1st. Amazing the effort the BVIs make in making it less attractive to tourists. Suggestion, put an Immigration dock by Norman Island during the day :doh:

I am going to ask Island Roots for an earlier pick-up next June as we had planned a back-side of Tortola charter next year.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.