TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Westin Nanea - observations

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by luv_maui, Jun 8, 2017.

1. JulieInCA

JulieInCA Guest

We just returned from a week in Nanea last Thursday. I hope I can offer some insights. It is an amazing property. We have stayed previously at WKORV- N before and we like this much better.

If you haven't gone through this entire thread, go up and look at the picture that shows the view from the lanai for room 1509. I didn't take that picture but we stayed in that exact room also. The view is THAT good. In fact, my husband preferred it to what other true ocean front views would be. The sun is so powerful at sundown, I don't get how your lanai is even usable in the late afternoons. This would apply to any ocean front view at any location so that is just my opinion there.

The entire property has a better view of the ocean than the other two villa properties. It feels a little "higher" so that even just walking around the main pool and restaurant area, you have a very clear ocean view.

For building numbers, obviously Building 1 is a winner. If you are on the opposite side from where I stayed, you will still see the ocean and that green area between Nanea and the North. Super quiet if you like that. Some do. I like hearing the activity from the pool. But a simple closed sliding glass door shut that out when needed.

Building 2 and Building 4, at least rooms that face inward will totally give you the feel of Building 6 in the North. We stayed on the first floor of the North's Building 6 last year. We really enjoyed the quiet privacy and the easy access to walk to the pool area from outside our lanai. That was what I was hoping for at Nanea, but we totally lucked out with the higher floor and view.

Building 8 is among that whole side that was not completed when we went. But I would imagine that an inside property facing room would be as spectacular as our Building 1.

Your opinion of Buidings 7,6,5, and part of 4 I think will largely depend on what you are looking for. It will feel very private. It will totally be the "adult" side of the property because I can't imagine why the families with younger kids would choose to sit there (unless mom and dad need a getaway). Or maybe if you were late getting to the pool and you really needed to find a chair in the shade, you could do well there. I have teenage boys now, so for me, I could actually see moving over to a chair in that area when I had had my fill of the larger combos of families playing Marco Polo at the pool.

That said, I was a little surprised at just how many families with younger kids were staying there. Clearly these two and three bedroom places really lend themselves to the big family trip. Lots of groups with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. It took a day or two for us to figure out that the pool area is the favorite place of the younger kids, while the ocean and beach is the place for the teens and young adults. Makes sense. We spent a lot of time on that beach. It is very flat and you can go out rather far without getting smashed by big breaks. Lots of space to spread out and find your own "area."

The rooms are great. Loved the space and the layout. My post is long enough, but if there were questions I would be happy to answer. In short, anyone concerned about whether or not you will like it as much as the North and South villas, I think you will be pleased.

KevSki likes this.
  2. JulieInCA

JulieInCA Guest

Also wanted to add that the lanais have rectangular tables with 6 chairs. Not the seating for 4 shown in the picture above.

3. Rasputinj

Rasputinj Guest

I felt like the table was tight once you have people on both sides of the table.

There was a lot of little kids at the pool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. EnglishmanAbroad

EnglishmanAbroad Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
    Going there in October and looking forward to it having seen the reviews on here. Looking at the floor plan those doors that open outwards and miss the lanai/balcony look a little dangerous but I guess we'll get used to it once we've lost one or two of the kids over there :)

5. CBGrundee

CBGrundee Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Nanea
    My husband and I went to Maui, June 1st -June 8th and had to stay at Kaanapali due to Nanea being over booked. We walked over to check out Nanea since we have 1/1...I don't know how you took that shot of the pool but the pool is not that big. I remember the sales rep telling us the pool was massive. Yeah, Massive..Pffff!

Anyhow, how many building are complete and which buildings were completely hands off? If you dont mind sharing that would be great.

6. farsighted99

farsighted99 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Nanea (Maui)
    Overbooked!!! Are you a Nanea owner? If you are, I'd be furious.

Does this happen often?

7. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

I am guessing that the OP means that they could not make a reservation at their home resort (Nanea) and so they made a Staroption reservation at the north or south phase instead. Not that they checked-in at Nanea, and got bumped to the other phases. I suppose it's possible that they were actually bumped, but I've never heard of it before.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  8. Southdown13

Southdown13 TUG Member

Buildings 1-3 and a portion of building 4 were open when we were there June 16. Buildings 5-8 are scheduled to open in October 2017 according to the GM. He mentioned 190 units were complete with about 200 units under construction.

See this link for the resort map, post #8:
    http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/nanea-photos-only.232353/

I wouldn’t call the size of the main pool at Nanea to be massive, but it did seem comparable to WKORVN/S. I hope the main pool doesn’t get too crowded when the resort is complete since there are only two very small plunge pools in the adjacent courtyard area.

9. farsighted99

farsighted99 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Nanea (Maui)
    Half of Nanea is still being built? Wow. No wonder the sales guy told us to forget 2017.... (we bought a year ago) LOL.... How loud are the hammers?

10. Southdown13

Southdown13 TUG Member

We were around the pool area only a few days, and the construction noise was intermittent, but it wasn’t bad. We lounged in the area near Building 8, and we could hear some hammering and drilling noises coming from inside the building, but it didn’t prevent me from taking a nap.

11. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    IMG_2602.PNG
    The pool at WKORV-S is noticibly larger than WKORV-N.
    Look how far B2 and B3 are apart compared to buildings at north complex.
    We don't really use the pools - we hang at ocean/beach, but prefer the openness of the south resort.
    I guess when google updates their maps - we will see relative sizes better for Nanea, perhaps comparable to the north, but the Nanea pool profile doesn't look like it come close to south's size.

Tucsonadventurer likes this.
  12. Chrispee

Chrispee TUG Member

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm wondering what the hotel taxes were on the 2 bedroom for the week?

13. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

It depends on the unit, but in the range of $15 - $18, per night.

Chrispee likes this.