• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Lagunamar questions

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Thank you Sandy. I will call and check.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
One just went in the bargain section. $650ish
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/2-bd-odd-lagunamar-gold-plus.250099/
It was a 2 bedroom, Odd years in the Gold Plus season, 1-4, 18-23, 36-43, 48-50.

Sumday Vacations has a 1 bedroom, Biennial EVEN Year Use beginning 2018 RTU expires 2032
http://sumdayvacations.com/timeshare-transfer/proddetail.php?prod=SV59629-46612 for $349.00 all in. (I haven't used Sumday but have read good reviews on them).

Redweek have a few. The lowest priced 2 bedroom biennial is $2450.00 I believe lots of these still have the buyer picking up the closing cost as well.

Sellmytimesharenow has some as well but I have no idea if they are legit or not.

http://www.sellmytimesharenow.com/timeshares/index/content/details/AdNumber/2075737/sale/ 2 bedroom Gold Plus season for $1000 biennial years is the cheapest on this site.

We started out looking at Westin Lagunamar but after reading through the threads decided for us we would go the route of picking up a mandatory unit with StarOptions to get back into Lagunamar. Seemed that it gave us more options as Lagunamar is not a mandatory resort.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Thank you Sandy. I will call and check.

Check the contract you signed. It might be worth just making a copy of what you signed and sending it with the standard "I want to rescind my contract and want my CC refunded" to the address for rescinding a developer purchase. I'm just guessing here, like I said before I have no personal experience with this.

Don't call sales, they will not be helpful. I would think that whomever you call is going to give you the run around until the rescission period is over.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I'm unfamiliar with II since I don't currently own any II affiliates.

If a Gold 2BR was deposited in II would it pull something else of equal value in the system?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm thinking of purchasing a WL 2 bedroom unit EOY. What do all of the experts feel is a fair price to pay in the resale market.
Depends, do you want Gold Plus or Platinum Plus season?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm unfamiliar with II since I don't currently own any II affiliates.

If a Gold 2BR was deposited in II would it pull something else of equal value in the system?
It depends. I really wouldn't buy Lagunamar with the plan to trade it in II. With the decrease in the number of Vistana weeks being deposited in II, the Vistana preference has really caused these weeks to become less desirable. It should be able to trade fairly well. Though II has seen fewer and fewer 2BR Vistana deposits.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
It depends. I really wouldn't buy Lagunamar with the plan to trade it in II. With the decrease in the number of Vistana weeks being deposited in II, the Vistana preference has really caused these weeks to become less desirable. It should be able to trade fairly well. Though II has seen fewer and fewer 2BR Vistana deposits.

That's what I figured. I really wouldn't buy one to trade. Ideally an EOY would be best because then I get a year to go other places. But, I'm just thinking if I had an annual, what options would I have. I would guess it's a pretty strong renter if you have Platinum Season.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
That's what I figured. I really wouldn't buy one to trade. Ideally an EOY would be best because then I get a year to go other places. But, I'm just thinking if I had an annual, what options would I have. I would guess it's a pretty strong renter if you have Platinum Season.

In the past it has not been a good renter. It's getting more popular but I don't think it's rental opportunity has improved. I haven't tried the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
In the past it has not been a good renter. It's getting more popular but I don't think it's rental opportunity has improved. I haven't tried the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would agree. Unless you can book Christmas or Easter, rental rates probably are not very good. There is far too many other cheap options for someone to stay in Cancun. That means a lot of competition and lower rental rates.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm probably going to want a Gold Plus as I like being in warm weather weeks 1-4
Gold plus can be had pretty cheap. I think perhaps $1000-$2000 for a 2BR. You might be able to score a better deal. I think Platinum weeks are considerably higher, though I don't watch them as much.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
It seems most of the listings on Redweek are lifetime ownership. The Sumday listing interests me because of the expiring RTU.

Were they originally sold as limited RTU and then later converted to perpetual?

I'm 52 now. 2032 gets me to 67 and then I don't have to worry about it anymore.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They were all sold the same. So there is some bad information in at least on or some of those ads. Perhaps someone can confirm how they were sold.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Thank you again Sandy.We are cancelling our explorer package here at Westin in Cancun as we wont be back in the states until our cancellation window expires and we are not sure how mail service is from Cancun. The sales office just said to drop the letter off so hopefully we will now have the 2600 to put towards resale. Most developers wont rescind explorer packages , I so appreciate your post!!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
They were all sold the same. So there is some bad information in at least on or some of those ads. Perhaps someone can confirm how they were sold.

Final question would be, are the units fixed? I know the season is float but do the units float (excluding Oceanside of course).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Final question would be, are the units fixed? I know the season is float but do the units float (excluding Oceanside of course).
All units are float.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras

The units were sold the same and are all RTU and an equity ("membership") interest in an irrevocable trust.

According to the association docs: "Your vacation ownership interest shall continue for the duration of the plan, which will have the same duration as the irrevocable trust described in paragraph 1 of additional terms and conditions provided below, unless the members determine to terminate the plan prior to this date, as provided in the vacation plan documents. The irrevocable trust shall be valid until 2055 at which time the irrevocable trust shall be renewed by the trustee for an additional 50 years. Any cost of renewing the trust shall be included in the regular and special assessments."

Last edited:

Shirtman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
Did they sell units classified as gardenview? I know they have oceanview and oceanside categories.
Thanks

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Did they sell units classified as gardenview? I know they have oceanview and oceanside categories.
Thanks

All units face the ocean. They are indeed either ocean"view" or Oceanside. Garden views do not exist. There is honestly no bad view at this resort.

Shirtman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
That's what I thought but a agent for a resale said one unit was gardenview. Thanks

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
I always suggest you buy resale where and when you want to go as opposed to buying it to trade. I think Dioxide said don't buy at Lagunamar to trade to Maui and the same is true the other way. I have had people from Harborside try to get into Lagunamar with star options and they could not - FOR HIGH DEMAND weeks. If you're very flexible than much less of an issue.
EOY is a great strategy to start, it's how my wife and I did it.
Good luck

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The units were sold the same and are all RTU and an equity ("membership") interest in an irrevocable trust.

According to the association docs: "Your vacation ownership interest shall continue for the duration of the plan, which will have the same duration as the irrevocable trust described in paragraph 1 of additional terms and conditions provided below, unless the members determine to terminate the plan prior to this date, as provided in the vacation plan documents. The irrevocable trust shall be valid until 2055 at which time the irrevocable trust shall be renewed by the trustee for an additional 50 years. Any cost of renewing the trust shall be included in the regular and special assessments."
So technically they are all currently RTU until 2055 and then will be RTU until 2105 and so on. So effectively they are forever RTU.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I always suggest you buy resale where and when you want to go as opposed to buying it to trade. I think Dioxide said don't buy at Lagunamar to trade to Maui and the same is true the other way. I have had people from Harborside try to get into Lagunamar with star options and they could not - FOR HIGH DEMAND weeks. If you're very flexible than much less of an issue.
EOY is a great strategy to start, it's how my wife and I did it.
Good luck
Definitely don't buy Lagunamar resale with hopes of Maui. Buying Maui N/S will easily get you Lagunamar. But it is much more expensive way to do it.

If you want to go to Lagunamar every other year, then I would suggest buying Lagunamar. However, you have to be very flexible to use II for those years where you don't.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Definitely don't buy Lagunamar resale with hopes of Maui. Buying Maui N/S will easily get you Lagunamar. But it is much more expensive way to do it.

If you want to go to Lagunamar every other year, then I would suggest buying Lagunamar. However, you have to be very flexible to use II for those years where you don't.

Agree you need tons of flexibility for II to work. But at least what I am seeing at Lagunamar is the prime weeks don't make it to the star options window before home resort takes all inventory. So i would not say buying Maui will easily get you into Lagunamar if we are talking peak weeks.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Agree you need tons of flexibility for II to work. But at least what I am seeing at Lagunamar is the prime weeks don't make it to the star options window before home resort takes all inventory. So i would not say buying Maui will easily get you into Lagunamar if we are talking peak weeks.
True, good point. If you want prime weeks anywhere, always buy there.