• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate timeshare help

N luke

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for some help rescinding a time share with Westgate. I have read loads on here but some of the posts were quite old so I was wondering if I need to know anything else. Please can some one help as I am going out of my mind..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you within the allowed rescission timeframe? 10 days in Florida.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Rescission information may be old, but the laws haven't changed, so it's still valid. No point in losing your mind.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Rescission information may be old, but the laws haven't changed, so it's still valid.

There is one noteworthy exception to this statement. A few years ago, Florida did indeed amend their rescission statutes to apply not only to developer-direct sales but also to secondary market (resale) FL timeshare transactions. As you have already noted, the rescission period is 10 days in Florida.

I hope that the OP is within his / her rescission period and acts quickly, but we don't really even know the state in which the contract was executed. :shrug:

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope that the OP is within his / her rescission period and acts quickly, but we don't really even know the state in which the contract was executed. :shrug:
It was just a guess on my part because that seems to be where most of those predators roost. But yes, it could have been any of several places where they operate.

N luke

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies. I sent quite a detailed letter on day 3 of the 10 day window clearly stating that I am exercising my legal right and sent it to the address stated on my contract. It is indeed Florida, I was totally pressured into it with 4 sales people and myself and my wife in a very small room. I will definitely not fall into that trap again. As I am from the UK and am still in Orlando, what am I best to do with the welcome pack and tablet?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will definitely not fall into that trap again. As I am from the UK and am still in Orlando, what am I best to do with the welcome pack and tablet?
I'd send it back and be sure to keep the postal receipt in case they try to bill you for them. You could hand it to the sales office, but that would open you up to more abuse- and the hassle of getting proof of dropping it off. I wouldn't.

N luke

Reaction score
Hi all, not sure if this is normal in the US but as stated previously I mailed off my cancellation letter by certified post before the hurricane an I have been tracking it online ever since. On the tracking system it shows that it was collected and signed for at there local post office. Should I be concerned or just be patient? Also I see people on the forum cancelling cards so no more money can be taken, should I cancel my debit card? Only con earn with doing this is how would they then credit my down payment back? Any advise appreciated

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should I be concerned or just be patient? Also I see people on the forum cancelling cards so no more money can be taken, should I cancel my debit card? Only con earn with doing this is how would they then credit my down payment back? Any advise appreciated
Patience, Grasshopper. The only date that matters is that the one on the postmark is earlier than the last day of rescission. And the refund can take 45 days, AND they don't have to inform you of the progress. I would not cancel the debit card, but I might keep minimal funds in it and cancel any overdraft protection. If there's no money in it, they can't get it, yet it will still accept their deposit.

Jim

JoVal89

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa
Rescission period is within the contract they gave me but the form is nowhere to be found, not even in my CD... I emptied the whole membership pack but no luck (just curious about it but I'm way off that period).

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look inside the back of the black binder for a Velcro'd back cover. They have been known to hide the original contract there.

JoVal89

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Look inside the back of the black binder for a Velcro'd back cover. They have been known to hide the original contract there.
Found that secret velcro but nothing was in it either...

JoVal89

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone knows about Warranty Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure for Westgate???

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if you cant find the address to mail it, id mail a letter to all the westgate addresses you can find.

although it appears you bought in florida? i believe florida law requires a paragraph about rescission on or near the signature page of the sales contract...id read the whole thing over again carefully and see if there is a mention in there.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone knows about Warranty Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure for Westgate???

You have previously indicated the existence of an unpaid loan. An unpaid loan balance essentially eliminates any option for acceptance of "deed in lieu". The loan is a separate matter and a distinct legal obligation entirely unto itself.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescission period is within the contract they gave me but the form is nowhere to be found, not even in my CD...

The legal requirement to provide notice of rescission rights has plainly been met if you found it expressed within your contract, as you have indicated. There need not be any kind of separate "form" --- and there may very well not be.

Last edited:

JoVal89

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
:thumbup:Thank you all for the response, it might not seem much but all the response helps a lot... I wish I found this site before I got my self six feet under with these scammers. :doh:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish I found this site before I got my self six feet under with these scammers.

Well don't beat yourself up over this. Unfortunately many others found this site after signing on the dotted line or falling for other timeshare-related scams (eg., upfront fee resale scam; relief/exit/rescue scheme, etc.). As many here would say to people like you in a tactful way, just chalk this up as an expensive lesson. Next vacation, you will know what to do when invited to a TS sales presentation.

Now that you know about TUG, you can do some research on other vacation options including renting TSs from existing owners.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:Thank you all for the response, it might not seem much but all the response helps a lot... I wish I found this site before I got my self six feet under with these scammers. :doh:

You are not the first (or the last) to buy a timeshare developer-direct and later regret having done so.

The good news here is that you are not really "six feet under". While there may be negative credit report consequences for a while, you can always make the active choice and decision to pay those parasites not another penny. You are not going to get back any of the money you've paid them to date in any scenario, but you can certainly decide and choose to pay nothing further and stop the financial bleeding. After all, it's a "product" that borders on worthless in the resale market anyhow, so why keep paying for it unless you plan and intend to use it?

I have only contempt for Westgate and its' sales weasels, who will say virtually anything to "seal the deal". In all fairness however, they're not literally "scammers". They are very aggressive sales weasels, peddling a product (for too much money) and using whatever verbal statements and psychological manipulation they deem necessary to close the sale.

Last edited:

Jesm1029

Reaction score
So I went to a West gate presentation in fl signed for the deal gave them my card and the bank declined the large purchase. They asked me to call the bank and have them extend my limit, when I did that I found out they tried to charge 2 different amounts told the bank to decline both and advised sale person I would not be buying. They brought one last guy to try and get us to come back and we said no. My question is since I already signed and they have my information will they try to send us a deed and bill later? I didn't get any contract number or booklet or anything since we said no after they tried to process 2 different payments. I am tempted to send a cancel letter anyways but I have no contract number that was given to me. Should I send one any how? Just don' want them to turn around and say I signed and use my information even though we walked out saying no after.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
With Wastegate you never really know what they'll do.

With that said, I would contact my card provider and ask them to close the account and issue you a new credit card with a fresh account number.

Best of luck!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am tempted to send a cancel letter anyways but I have no contract number that was given to me. Should I send one any how? Just don' want them to turn around and say I signed and use my information even though we walked out saying no after.
It'll only cost you about $10 or less to send a certified letter. Is the peace of mind worth that much to you? It would be to me.

Jesm1029

Reaction score
It'll only cost you about $10 or less to send a certified letter. Is the peace of mind worth that much to you? It would be to me.
Yes it is worth it to me too not sure where to send it to. I went to the Orlando Westgate and I don't have a contract packet since we stopped before we got to that.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes it is worth it to me too not sure where to send it to. I went to the Orlando Westgate and I don't have a contract packet since we stopped before we got to that.
It's an address on Old Winter Garden road in Ocoee, FL. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Last edited: