*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Westgate is trying to buy back my timeshare

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling, Renting' started by spiceycat, Jul 28, 2006.

1. spiceycat

spiceycat TUG Member

My contract with them does not have their ROFR.

(my disney contract does so I know what I am looking for)

they have told me that it doesn't matter that is not in my contract, they can still do it.

I think this is illegal - who do I complaint too?

so they say if I didn't allow them to buy it back -they would refuse to change the name.

which I think is also illegal.

will the florida attorney general help me? or is there someone else?:wall:

thanks for any help!

2. timeos2

timeos2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Lifetime Member

They depend on your inability to contact the right people to make their scam work. if there wasn't a ROFR in your written documentation they cannot retroactively put one in.

You need to contact the DBMR -

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/Default.asp

and file a complaint. That group enforces the extremely owner friendly FL timeshare rules and regs. They will get the attention of King Davids minions when you & I can't.

Good luck and make them sweat. It couldn't happen to a more corrupt group of slime.

3. spiceycat

spiceycat TUG Member

John you are wonderful!!!!;)

4. Hoc

Hoc TUG Lifetime Member

Be careful. It might be in the Declaration of Timeshare (the "CC&Rs") on the property, and your paperwork might say that it is subject to that Declaration of Timeshare. If that is the case, then they might be right.

5. timeos2

timeos2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Lifetime Member

A very important item to note is that basic articles in the declaration cannot be overridden by changes after the date of purchase. If ROFR is considered to be a critical issue of sale changes made only apply to new buyers and cannot be retroactive to previous owners. As an unfortunate owner of Westgate since the 90's I can say with certainty that there was no ROFR in the original documents filed. It was added close to a decade later so sales after that point of time would have accepted it as part of the sales contract. Others have tried to slip it in later and it doesn't fly.

6. potchak

potchak TUG Member

No offense, but what is the difference? If you agreed to a price, they are going to give you that price, why does it matter who the buyer is?

7. DrQ

DrQ Guest

If Westgate were a buyer in good faith, it would not be a problem. Unfortunately, other people have had the experience of them interfering with the sale long enough to get the original buyer to go away and then say that they don't wish to execute the ROFR.

8. potchak

potchak TUG Member

Ah, now I understand. I was under the impression if they give you the price you were asking, I wouldn't care who my buyer was.

9. e.bram

e.bram Guest

To get around the ROFR set the price very high and kick back the difference in cash at the closing. Your probably selling at a loss even at the high price, so no tax consequence is generated.