• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Well, no more trial offers for us

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Banging my head against the wall this afternoon. I'd yelled at Cliff earlier this summer because he ordered a sample/just pay shipping of some vitamins. Of course within days of receiving the sample a second shipment for which he was charged arrived. ARRRGH! Cliff, you have to read the small print!! A month or so later he bought a watch for a "good price", and as he was showing it off to a friend the friend said "they are going to hit you for $100". Sure enough, next billing cycle comes a $100 charge. We cancelled and got our account credited in both instances, and I of course blamed him for not reading what he was signing up for.

Now comes my turn. In July I bought a $3.95 .5 oz sample of an anti wrinkle cream. I saw the $3.95 charge on my last bill. Fine. Then Monday comes the email from Chase that they have stopped a $99.95 charge, did I want them to pass it through or decline it. Decline. Except that wasn't enough they proceeded to call every hour, with no notation as to who they were, so until I checked the machine the next day I had no idea they actually wanted to speak to me. They would not just decline the charge, I had to call the company to cancel something I swear I never signed up for in the first place. I expect that Freya Cream will use my expletive laden tirade as a training implement -- I had the phone answerer trying to hold back laughter as she continued to try to sell me something else or the same product at a discounted price for five minutes while I verbally abused her. Done, cancellation number, back to Chase with the number.

Except that it is not done. Got my bill today and back on Aug. 11th they hit me for another $99.95. Now what the heck was that for? I never got another shipment from them after the little sample arrived. Not only did I not see any small print that said I was signing up for some beauty of the month BS, I would tell you that I was duped right from the beginning because I am 90% sure I was responding to an offer from Joanna Gaines of Fixer Upper fame (she is in trouble with HGTV for having a side cosmetic business while under contract with them), so have no idea where Freya came in.

That's it, three strikes we're out. Looks like there is no such thing as a free or pay shipping only trial offer. And no, I didn't use the wrinkle cream and as I told the gal on the phone, I'd rather be ugly and wrinkled than try their product at this point.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My experience with stuff like this is that by giving them your credit card number, you agree to start a subscription, and unless cancelled, it will continue forever. The company is counting on you forgetting to cancel it, and voila! More charges you didn't expect.

What I have done with things like that is to order the item, wait till I know it's shipped, and then call to cancel the subscription. That way it rarely ever even gets set up in their system. It doesn't always work, but there's a good chance you can stop things before they get out of hand.

You can also ask your credit card company if they have a "one time purchase" program, where you get a single-use card number. After the initial use, it declines automatically afterwards. Saves you from recurring charges like that.

Good luck going forward. We live in a convenience-driven world, and it's easy to be taken advantage of.

Dave

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
You can also ask your credit card company if they have a "one time purchase" program, where you get a single-use card number. After the initial use, it declines automatically afterwards. Saves you from recurring charges like that.
Wow. I never knew that was an option. I will definitely check into this! Great tip, Dave!

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Except that it is not done. Got my bill today and back on Aug. 11th they hit me for another $99.95. Now what the heck was that for? I never got another shipment from them after the little sample arrived. Not only did I not see any small print that said I was signing up for some beauty of the month BS, I would tell you that I was duped right from the beginning because I am 90% sure I was responding to an offer from Joanna Gaines of Fixer Upper fame (she is in trouble with HGTV for having a side cosmetic business while under contract with them), so have no idea where Freya came in.

That's it, three strikes we're out. Looks like there is no such thing as a free or pay shipping only trial offer. And no, I didn't use the wrinkle cream and as I told the gal on the phone, I'd rather be ugly and wrinkled than try their product at this point.

The ads touting Joanna Gaines beauty products are scams. She has denied it many times but it keeps on because people fall for it. The scammers started with a made up article claiming to be in People magazine that she was leaving the show and starting a cosmetic line. Now, really, does that make sense? The TV show is worth big bucks and would they abandon that very lucrative business for a line of anti-aging cream? In addition, you can pretty much assume that all 'free' offers that require a credit card are going to become a problem.

Some easy to find spots to check before giving a credit card:
http://www.snopes.com/joanna-gaines-quitting-fixer-upper/
https://magnoliamarket.com/dont-believe-everything-you-read/

Sue

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Talya

Reaction score
Excellent. I am learning so much on this site! Forget the travel! :cool:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I found one exception to this is SiriusXM. I sign up for the discounted "trial" offer (usually it's four to six months) at some ridiculous price that is under $20. This allows my daughter to listen to nonstop Christmas music from mid-Nov until early Jan. I do make a point of putting the date of expiration on my calendar (and usually give myself a week buffer.) I've never had a problem cancelling it, and have never been charged anything beyond the introductory price. Come this Nov, I'll do the same thing again...

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, with Sirius car radio, I sign up for the special offers (like once every 2 years or so) and while doing the signup, ask the agent to put in the cancel date verses charging my credit card again. Has worked fine... and by that time happening, the car Sirius radio playlist has started to annoyed me.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Joanna Gaines is not the only famous person plagued with those false ads about starting her own beauty company. They are all false!

All of them? What about Cindy Crawford's products?

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Excellent. I am learning so much on this site! Forget the travel! :cool:
Not every processor offers this. The old one for Fidelity did, but the new one does not.

If your card doesn't offer the one-time-use feature, another approach is to buy some gift cards with just $25 or similar small amount on them, and use those for this kind of offer.

But really, even if the product was wonderful, would you do business with a company that does this? I had an experience with some tooth-whitener company like this ... but if they'd treat customers like that, why would I believe that their product is even safe?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I buy all my beauty products (minimal as they are) in a drug store or Walmart or on Amazon, etc. The rest are no better.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I found one exception to this is SiriusXM. I sign up for the discounted "trial" offer (usually it's four to six months) at some ridiculous price that is under $20. This allows my daughter to listen to nonstop Christmas music from mid-Nov until early Jan. I do make a point of putting the date of expiration on my calendar (and usually give myself a week buffer.) I've never had a problem cancelling it, and have never been charged anything beyond the introductory price. Come this Nov, I'll do the same thing again...
I do this for any subscription I get at a great introductory price. I cancel or it would automatically renew at full price. Then I let their waiting period pass, and sign up again if they have a worthwhile intro rate. Mostly, this is for local newspapers (online or delivery prices.) I still like my daily fix of area news, and hate the green box that pops up online with no subscription.

Talya

Reaction score
Not every processor offers this. The old one for Fidelity did, but the new one does not.

If your card doesn't offer the one-time-use feature, another approach is to buy some gift cards with just $25 or similar small amount on them, and use those for this kind of offer.
Excellent idea. Thank you. :thumbup:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I do this for any subscription I get at a great introductory price. I cancel or it would automatically renew at full price. Then I let their waiting period pass, and sign up again if they have a worthwhile intro rate. Mostly, this is for local newspapers (online or delivery prices.) I still like my daily fix of area news, and hate the green box that pops up online with no subscription.

We had stopped our local newspaper to save a few pennies (still get the LA Times daily). Late last month I got a promo for $40 for a year of Sunday delivery, and they'd give me a $20 Target card. OK, I can do that! Might have to call on the card because it hasn't shown up yet, but the added bonus is every day I get an emailed "your newspaper has arrived" so I can read it online all week in addition to getting the physical paper on Sunday. Don't know if this is a glitch or what, but I'm happy to take advantage of it.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
But really, even if the product was wonderful, would you do business with a company that does this? I had an experience with some tooth-whitener company like this ... but if they'd treat customers like that, why would I believe that their product is even safe?

That is my thought as well. If you have to trick folks with this type of ploy to sell your product; how good is the product really? WEN products is another one that does this. I didn't care for the product anyway and felt duped.

The fine print of these types of schemes is so fine or hidden that the average person misses it until they get "burned" once or twice.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I purchased Gillette disposable razors online and of course there is no way to cancel the 90 day resupply at full price on the web site. I did find where you can delay a shipment so I pushed out the next supply date beyond the expiration of the credit card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ordered samples of face cream with eye serum and then found out DH had done the same with another company. Products come and lo and behold the name on them is different but.....the packaging is exactly the same and so are the ingredients. Now I know packaging (was sort of in the business) and absolutely know this is the same product. Also......yep they charged us $99 and change over and over. DH disputed it and got it cancelled. I did not have to call them TG. Lesson certainly learned!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never used a credit card for a sample; for you just signed up for automatic renewal of the sample item.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I made the mistake of taking a survey on line stupid me put my cell # and now I'm getting calls for mattress, water treatment s, windows roofs etc, I have blocked the calls but won't do anymore surveys
Silentg

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of taking a survey on line stupid me put my cell # and now I'm getting calls for mattress, water treatment s, windows roofs etc, I have blocked the calls but won't do anymore surveys
Silentg
I give our landline number even to local businesses and medical offices. They leave messages, and the scammers hang up. I never answer the rings, just look at the messages.