• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welks Platinum Points Program Questions

snoopy226

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if I am posting this in the correct spot - I asked it as part of another post of Sirena del Mar, so I apologize for the repost.

My husband and I stayed at the Welks Sirena del Mar resort in Cabo and absolutely loved it. I would like to stay there every year and am considering purchasing Welks Points, however, I have a few questions. We attended the timeshare presentation, where we heard sooo many lies I couldn't sort the truth out of any of it (imagine that - a timeshare presentation where the salesman lies! ). Anyway, for those of you with Welks points I have a couple of questions.

1. The salesman stated that if we bought points at Sirena del Mar that would be our "home" resort rather than Escondido and that we would have priority for bookings and room locations. Is this true with the point system? Is there a "home" resort? The reason I ask is that they are building a 3rd building that is not oceanfront and he said that when it is completed the II exchanges and possibly even the "other" Welks owners would be placed in that building. I would not want to stay at Sirena del Mar other than in the oceanfront buildings and the only points on the resale market seem to be for Escondido.

2. If we buy points from more than one source - can we combine those points for one exchange?

Thanks for any help - I am new to the whole point system and am still trying to figure everything out before we make any purchase that we may later regret! (Been there - done that!)

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Glad to hear that you enjoyed Sirena del Mar. We own in the Welk Platinum Points program and will be going to that resort in December- first time visit. We actually got the week via an II trade.

To my knowledge, if you own points in the program there is no home resort. At least that is what we were told. Of course, they could be making a change to that effect. I will check with owner services.

Did they indicate when the third building at the resort will be completed? I know they just completed the second building not that long ago.

With regard to combining contracts if you buy points from various sources, I was told by owner services a while back that the contracts remain separate. That would result in higher maintenance fees as they use a base of $500+ and add an incremental amount based on the number of points you own. The $500+ applies to each contract, so it causes your fees to be higher if you don't buy additional points from Welk. We only own one contract, so we don't have experience in trying it, but I imagine you would have to make separate reservations. If you want two back to back full weeks that wouldn't be a problem. However, if you want to use left over points from two separate contracts to make a reservation you would have two short stays back to back. Those can't be made until 4 months before check in date as I recall. So it would be best to buy points in one contract from one source.

I know I have seen resale points on Redweek.

Good luck.

snoopy226

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! So I guess I should look for the point package I want to begin with. One more question - if we buy points that are for 2012 can we book them for travel in 2013 (not a rollover - but an actual booking)?

As far as the 3rd building - I did not ask about the completion date. They have the land cleared for it, however, they have not started construction on it yet.

If you find out anything from owner services about home resorts, please let me know. Thanks!