TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Welk Exchange through II Confused!

Discussion in 'Exchanging' started by wallyboag, Sep 13, 2017.

1. wallyboag

wallyboag Guest

Hi Everyone-

I appreciate any help you can offer in advance.

My mother in law has a Welk timeshare she inherited from her parents who passed on. She has kept the dues up (almost $1K a year) but has not been using it!

The decision has been made that it needs to be sold, but we would like to get some use out of it before we do that.

We have a trip to Florida planned in February of 2018.

Can we exchange the 2017 points (she has 240,000 welk points, which is enough for a 2 bedroom at Welk) for a 2 bedroom at some resort in Orlando in February 2018, or could we only exchange her 2018 points (thus meaning we would need to pay the 2018 dues in order to exchange?)

How do we go about doing this? I'd like to know what resorts are available, but navigating the II website, it looks like we have to deposit the points before we can do that? If we deposit her 2017 points, will they be good fora 2018 vacation? If we deposit the points and then can't book the vacation in 2018, do we just lose those points?

Thanks for any help!

2. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY
    We are former Welk owners. Unless things have changed since we sold the unit back to them a couple years ago, she needs to call Welk to have them deposit a unit into II. She will be able to use her 2017 week for an exchange in 2018 and into 2019, but recognize that the earlier she deposits the week, the better trade value she will receive for her unit. The sooner she requests a trade the better chance she will have to receive something she likes (i.e. Before other exchangers get the available inventory.)

As far as selling her points, she can try to sell them on the open market via TUG Marketplace, redweek.com, or a broker. She can also call Welk and ask if they will buy them back. They did that for us and we got about what I thought I would get on the open market. About $2,800 for 300,000 points as I recall. Plus they reimbursed us for the maintenance fees for the week we hadn't used. That may be an option in her case if she doesn't want to try to make a trade via II. I started another thread regarding selling the points back to them when I did it. Do a search here on TUG and you should find the number to call if you aren't sure.

Good luck in either case.

Best regards.

Mike

3. wallyboag

wallyboag Guest

Thanks for the help! We were able to deposit the welk week and got a week at the Marriott Royal Palms. Looks like a good place. Thank you!

chalee94 and hudshut like this.
  4. hudshut

hudshut TUG Member

Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to make use of the timeshare.

5. chalee94

chalee94 TUG Member

I stayed there a couple of years ago - very nice 2BRs and super easy access to WDW.

hudshut and wallyboag like this.