• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Weekend Trip To San Francisco

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I'm taking my son and my mom to SF for the weekend. We have some vague plans so far but we're open to suggestions too.

Ages: 7, 40, 71
Interests: Wildlife, vegan food, science, street performers, cable cars, ice skating

We can all walk well and have no trouble using mass transit. We will have a car though, as well.
We are staying at Hyatt Regency San Francisco. I understand there is a Winter ice rink located across the street. And we can take cable cars nearby our hotel. We should be walking distance to a Children's Museum and the Embarcadero as well.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You didn't mention art museums, and I haven't been yet, but I've heard the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is wonderful. Your son might not appreciate it so much though.

https://www.sfmoma.org/

Also, the Exploratorium, which is now on the Embarcadero, should be something your son would enjoy.

https://www.exploratorium.edu/

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
The Saturday morning farmers market at the Ferry Bldg (across the embarcadero from SF Hyatt) is wonderful. Lots of free samples and fantastic food tents with every imaginable type of delicious foods. The food tents with the longest lines are the best!

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
I'm taking my son and my mom to SF for the weekend. We have some vague plans so far but we're open to suggestions too.

Ages: 7, 40, 71
Interests: Wildlife, vegan food, science, street performers, cable cars, ice skating

We can all walk well and have no trouble using mass transit. We will have a car though, as well.
We are staying at Hyatt Regency San Francisco. I understand there is a Winter ice rink located across the street. And we can take cable cars nearby our hotel. We should be walking distance to a Children's Museum and the Embarcadero as well.

My wife and I made a quick anniversary weekend trip back in September and did a few things.

1. The Embarcadero farmers market mentioned on another response is a must if you like farmers markets. Huge selection of crafts, food, etc...
2. SF has cable cars like you see on the old rice a roni commercials, vintage electric cars (equally cool in my opinion) which generally travel along the waterfront, buses, and bart (subway). You can get day passes that work on electric cars, buses, and cable cars (not bart) at Wahlgrens and some other stores. I think they call it a "Muni pass" It can save you some bucks and I think the electric busses only take exact change. The cable cars can get really long lines so plan ahead. I would actually recommend you go to the San Francisco Transit website and try to work the electric cars and cable cars into your site seeing. Parking is crazy expensive in SF.
3. We did Acatraz's tour. Tickets sell out months in advance. If you go start at the National Park Website to find ticket sales. There are tons of websites selling tickets at a markup. Cool for us but might be boring for a 7 YO. Dress warm.
4. Chinatown. The weekend we were there was a harvest festival so it was packed. One of the biggest in the US I think.
5. The waterfront has some good street performers. They work for tips so if the crowd is a little stingy it can take a long time to actually see anything.
6. We had an expensive drink at the Top of the Mark (top floor restaurant lounge in the Mark Anthony Hotel) with a crazy view of the whole town.) Across the street is the Tonga Bar and Hurricane Lounge in the basement of the Fairmont (think tiki tiki room at Disneyland, complete with fake rain and lightening). We saw some kids in there so there must be some hours its open to all ages. Get reservations if you want to eat.
7. Great food in little italy. Can't recall where we ate but saw a lot of places that looked inviting and smelled awesome.

We did not rent a car but used airport shuttles and tried Uber for the first time ever in SF. I think we did 7 or 8 uber trips. You can get just about anywhere in town for $5 to $10 while parking is always probably double that, plus the headache of finding a spot. I think the longest we waited for a car to pick us up was about 2-3 minutes. If you aren't leaving the City consider dropping the rental and getting the uber app.

Have fun.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Golden Gate Park. You can see bison up close. The Japanese Tea Garden is gorgeous and very fun (has cool bridges to walk over). There is a science center in the park that is huge. http://www.calacademy.org/ You could spend an entire day at Golden Gate Park. There are food trucks, but I cannot remember if any of them were vegan.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
If you go to Golden gate park, check out the conservatory of flowers. Beautiful grounds, in a huge glass bldg. with plants from all over the world. Your mom will like it.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Thank you all for the input!!!

I think MOMA is a great suggestion. My son is actually very creative and loves art so he may enjoy it quite a bit so long as we don't plan to spend more than a couple hours. It's also very close to the Children's Museum and an ice rink so we can split up if need be - my mom can go to MOMA while I take my son skating.

And how could I forget ChinaTown? It's like the essence of SF. What was I thinking!?!?! My son recently learned to use chopsticks and is eager to use them at any opportunity. Many vegan options in Asian restaurants :)

I've done the Alcatraz tour and enjoyed it but it's probably too much for my son. He's young and energetic (wants to jump and run) but he's also pretty sensitive and may get scared by it. I will save that for another trip.

Also, since it will be MLK day I checked the schedule of events. We will likely make a stop as part of our adventure. http://www.sfmlkday.org/ And it turns out the Children's Museum is open that Monday (usually it's closed Mondays) so that works well :)

Golden Gate Park is huge and would be a nice respite from urban noise and traffic - I think we will try to visit on the day that is most sunny.

I did a bit of googling and found I can get Muni tickets with my phone - https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around/transit/munimobile

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did one of the Hop on Hop off busses (there are a couple different ones.) Got a 2 day ticket and used it both days. Easy way to get around and see the sights.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
also Chestnut Street has a bunch of awesome bistros with sidewalk tables in addition to indoor seating. Very hipster, I'm sure you'll see plenty of vegan offerings there.