*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Warranty deed in lieu of foreclosure

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling, Renting' started by Eothaina65, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Eothaina65

Eothaina65 Guest

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and I hope I can get some help. I have a Westgate Miami Beach timeshare(TS) that I never used and I am in the pre-foreclosure stage right now. The TS rep. offered me the option of the Warranty deed in lieu of foreclosure(WDLF). She said first they have to run my credit report and the cost is $1000-$2000 for the lawyer processing fees to determine if I am eligible or not for the WDLF.

Is this information true? Why does the TS need my credit report? Why do I have to pay a fee?

If I am denied the WDLF I guess the TS goes into foreclosure. Should I just let the TS foreclose?

Thank you.
    Eothaina

2. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

This sounds like a total scam to me.

Is WESTGATE offering this to you, or another company?

Did you contact them, or did they contact you?

3. Eothaina65

Eothaina65 Guest

Hi Denise, thanks for responding.
    Yes, Westgate is offering this to me. I received a letter from them about the foreclosure and then I called the TS rep. at Westgate about my options. She said if my credit report shows that I can make payments or have paid off other debts then mostly likely I would be denied the WDILF. She also said that the $1000-$2000 fee is for the lawyers because they have to be paid to process the paper work. I think this is if the WDILF goes through.

The other option is to reinstate the monthly mortgage by paying half of the amount of the total deliquent payments for 2010.

Yes, the request for the credit report and fee sounded like a scam to me also.

4. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

My guess is that if you don't qualify, you lose the fees paid? This is inherently wrong - why would they ever qualify anyone when they've got a money maker like this?

5. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

What they want to do is brow-beat you into paying them $1000 and then, they'll say,
    "Oh, but you can pay what you owe, so no deed ILOF. Now pay us more." Its a rip-off.

Offer them a deed-ILOF... send them one. Just take the deed they gave you and trade
    the names of the Grantor+Grantee, or have a lawyer write one (it should cost <$200),
    and tell them to "Take it or leave it."

If they proceed with the foreclosure, they'll have to front legal fees, a title search and
    filing fees. It'll cost them about a $1000 to file (which hopefully you did not pay).
    However, just B4 they get a judgment, you could file Bankruptcy (for less than $1000).
    The case will be stayed for about 90 days and any personal liability will be discharged.

I'd point this out in my offer of a deed-ILOF.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  6. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    Slick! Get you to pay the deposit for the lawyers to foreclose on yourself. HA, HA ... why did they think you rode around in a turnip truck? Just by sending them $1,000, they have proof (and your bank account number) that you have money. Remember, to them any money you have is and should be their money - shelter, food, medicine, transportation to work, is NOT their problem. You OWE them! And they will be happy to scream that to you at the top of their lungs (plus they get paid a percentage of any $$$ they collect).

STOP TALKING TO THEM. And if they are calling you at work, tell them to STOP harressing you at work.

Do you owe a balance on the original loan to buy this TS or just MFs? If there is a balance, spend the money either to get the loan caught up to date or to consult your own LAWYER.

7. FrugalFrank

FrugalFrank Guest

Cart Before The Horse

Doesn't make sense to retain the lawyers for processing the paperwork before WG determines your ability to pay or not pay.

If you chose to not take pursue Talent312's worthy advice then perhaps you might like to run your own credit report for free, and send them a copy without any accompanying funds. In NJ you're entitled to one free annual report from each of the (3) major credit reporting agency.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  8. Conan

Conan TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Just a side-note - - the "warranty" that goes with a warranty deed in lieu merely means you're telling them you have the legal title you say you have, for example there's no other mortgage against the deed that you haven't told them about.

So don't be concerned about that. But given Westgate's particularly poor reputation for ethics, do listen to what TUG is telling you about the money issue.