• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Waiohai in April

Cookie21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha,
I know it has been posted before, but what is the best request to put in (no guarantees) for building/room request at Marriott Waiohai? What should we request in writing/verbally when we call, our request. We are Marriott owners, just doing an exchange. I received a phone call today just letting us know that we were at the bottom of the food chain (LOL) for room request. I am not an owner there and do not do the points. We own at NCV and put in an exchange through II. However, I still like to request "something" or at least know what "not to get".

Mahalo,

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha,
I know it has been posted before, but what is the best request to put in (no guarantees) for building/room request at Marriott Waiohai? What should we request in writing/verbally when we call, our request. We are Marriott owners, just doing an exchange. I received a phone call today just letting us know that we were at the bottom of the food chain (LOL) for room request. I am not an owner there and do not do the points. We own at NCV and put in an exchange through II. However, I still like to request "something" or at least know what "not to get".

Mahalo,
It may well be that, as II exchangers, you will be "at the bottom of the food chain", presumably they were not so insensitive as to actually use those words?
With all our II exchanges over the years, MVC have never said anything about our position in the pecking order for room allocations (although I know just a few MVC resorts do publish their priorities).
I would be interested to know how they actually phrased this to you in their call.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I would just request that you do not get a parking lot view. Most island views at Waiohai are very nice, except those overlooking the parking. Make sure they know you are a Marriott owner, which might at least help you avoid the parking lots.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
"Bottom of the food chain?" I'd like to think that non-Marriott owners were at the bottom of the food chain and that Marriott owners exchanging into another Marriott owner carried at least a little weight behind owners staying on their own time, owners at Waiohai exchanging back in and DC points owners staying in the view they've reserved. So towards the bottom but not at the bottom.

There was only one building I remember that I wouldn't have wanted to be in and it was at the very back of the resort and had the lovely parking lot view mentioned above. Otherwise it appeared to me the remainder of the rooms had reasonable views.

Last edited:

Cookie21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waiohai called and left a message about our arrival in April. In the message, she listed the order of room preferences. She started with owners at Waiohai, then said DC points, Marriott owners at other resorts, and guests making general reservations. She actually emphasized this twice in the message. In the past, I received an email and sometimes a phone call. I have never had them go through the order of preferences for any room requests. It was likes she was trying to make sure that I understood. I am still going to make a room request. Thank you.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waiohai called and left a message about our arrival in April. In the message, she listed the order of room preferences. She started with owners at Waiohai, then said DC points, Marriott owners at other resorts, and guests making general reservations. She actually emphasized this twice in the message. In the past, I received an email and sometimes a phone call. I have never had them go through the order of preferences for any room requests. It was likes she was trying to make sure that I understood. I am still going to make a room request. Thank you.
This is the first time I have heard of a resort saying they give priority to DC points over Marriott owners at other resorts (except for "home" owners at the resort using DC points to stay at their "home" resort)
With this exception, I have previously understood that elsewhere these had received equal priority.

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
IMG_0169.JPG
We just got back
Wrote down hale 8 8110 8109 8210 8209 8207 8201
8305 8203
8206 over pool but ocean view
We had hale 2013 here's thevirw

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

I'm happy to see this, hope that it's an MVW-issued directive and that the other resorts follow suit. DC Trust Members are in fact owners of interests that originate with Weeks that have been conveyed to the DC Trust, so IMO it's correct to prioritize them just below Weeks Owners staying on their owned Weeks.

Ideally the resort personnel at check-in would further prioritize DC Trust Members ("owners") above DC Exchange Members ("exchangers.") But regardless of whether they're doing that, it has always seemed most fair to me that DC Members should be prioritized over II exchangers, even if the II exchangers are Marriott Weeks Owners.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
......it has always seemed most fair to me that DC Members should be prioritized over II exchangers, even if the II exchangers are Marriott Weeks Owners.
I agree with that, except for weeks owners staying at their home resort through an exchange, who I believe should be given priority at least equal to those staying on DC points.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm happy to see this, hope that it's an MVW-issued directive and that the other resorts follow suit. DC Trust Members are in fact owners of interests that originate with Weeks that have been conveyed to the DC Trust, so IMO it's correct to prioritize them just below Weeks Owners staying on their owned Weeks.

Ideally the resort personnel at check-in would further prioritize DC Trust Members ("owners") above DC Exchange Members ("exchangers.") But regardless of whether they're doing that, it has always seemed most fair to me that DC Members should be prioritized over II exchangers, even if the II exchangers are Marriott Weeks Owners.
I for one would be unhappy and disagree with this.
I have invested probably now approaching $200k on 10 weeks ownership over many years from well before DC was even a twinkle in Marriott's eyes.
I am a DC Exchange Member, but I neither need nor could justify further spend to become a DC Trust Member.
I agree that DC Trust Members are owners of interests that originate with Weeks that have been conveyed to the Trust and should therefore have suitable priority.
However, I see absolutely no justification for DC Trust Members being prioritised over DC Exchange Members and I would find it very disturbing if this were to be the case.
I am not even convinced by any argument that they should be prioritised over Marriott Weeks owners using II exchange.
Essentially, I believe "home" Weeks Marriott owners should receive absolute priority, other Marriott owners should receive next highest priority.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
This is the first time I have heard of a resort saying they give priority to DC points over Marriott owners at other resorts (except for "home" owners at the resort using DC points to stay at their "home" resort)
With this exception, I have previously understood that elsewhere these had received equal priority.

Since DC points reservations pay for a specific view, this makes sense.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since DC points reservations pay for a specific view, this makes sense.
It certainly makes sense that DC points reservations should receive the view category that they have reserved with their points, but the question is more one of priority allocation within a view category.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I for one would be unhappy and disagree with this.
I have invested probably now approaching $200k on 10 weeks ownership over many years from well before DC was even a twinkle in Marriott's eyes.
I am a DC Exchange Member, but I neither need nor could justify further spend to become a DC Trust Member.
I agree that DC Trust Members are owners of interests that originate with Weeks that have been conveyed to the Trust and should therefore have suitable priority.
However, I see absolutely no justification for DC Trust Members being prioritised over DC Exchange Members and I would find it very disturbing if this were to be the case.
I am not even convinced by any argument that they should be prioritised over Marriott Weeks owners using II exchange.
Essentially, I believe "home" Weeks Marriott owners should receive absolute priority, other Marriott owners should receive next highest priority.

I remember them selling priority based on number of weeks owned. I looked at it as just another sales gimmick. Much like they're doing now with the DC. Some truth but also some lies.

Since weeks owners enrolled in the DC still achieved the various elite levels like executive or chairman, I doubt there's any distinction between weeks owners enrolled in the DC and pure DC trust points so long as the stay is booked using points. Only a salesman would like you to believe there's any other distinction and that's to get current owners to "supercharge" their lowly weeks points by purchasing even more from MVC.

We're planning on attempting a weeks exchange into Hawaii for 2019. I expect it to be the same as last time with us being a step above non-Marriott owners exchanging in. IOW, nothing has changed for this type of exchange. I'm still above the bottom level but not by much.