TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Vip status

Discussion in 'Wyndham Vacation Resorts' started by stugy, Jul 16, 2017.

1. tschwa2

tschwa2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    With the way things work right now I would consider 1 million platinum points to be worth about 1,250,000 regular points+ $1400 in Guest Certificates+ $500 in Transaction and HK.

2. ronparise

ronparise TUG Member

Thats the question, isnt it? Can we still count on discounts and upgrades on all our reservations, under the new rules.

If you are right and the answer is yes, Id be surprised. If Im right and the answer is no, a VIP account isnt worth squat

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 1:53 AM
  3. Nomad34

Nomad34 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Ocean walk daytona, Brandon at the falls, and great Smokies lodge
    Very true and I'm counting on it to be right.

4. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

I can't imagine what makes you a "glass half full" person.

I don't see any way (and from off-line conversations, neither does Ron Parise) that it will be economical to acquire VIP benefits and Presidential Reserve benefits. The question for me and many others is, since we are already VIP/PresRes owners, is there a way to make it profitable, even if only marginally so. I don't think there is.

Concentrating on high-demand weeks is certainly a useful strategy. It may be possible to rent Mardi Gras, Daytona 500, Bike Week, NCAA or professional championship event weeks and make a couple bucks with no discount or upgrade. Since it is just my wife and me on our account, the limit for reservations is two per event, unless I make reservations with other names listed as guests, knowing it will cost me $99 down the line.

Our only hope is that Wyndham never figures out how to implement the auto-upgrade feature and gives up trying. Even then, experience with canceled reservations reappearing in inventory has not been promising so I don't see cancel/re-book/upgrade ever becoming what it was.

Personally, I'll probably try to stick it out through 2018 (since I'm already out of 2018 points) and make a decision about divesting most of my Wyndham ownership, keeping a couple million points for our own use and an occasional rental at or near cost.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 6:26 PM
  5. ronparise

ronparise TUG Member

Im taking a wait and see approach too.

When I started this thing it was right after the last round of anti renter rule changes. Conventional wisdom was that it was impossible to build a rental business. and yet there were a lot of us that figured it out

I think the same thing will happen now. Someone will figure it out.

6. Nomad34

Nomad34 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Ocean walk daytona, Brandon at the falls, and great Smokies lodge
    This is what I found interesting but need to know more about this. I have heard this is possible from others so I will continue to learn more.