• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Villa Del Palmar Cancun

SalCip107

Reaction score
Just got back from VDP Cancun with my wife and 2 small kids. We attended the timeshare presentation for the new place they're building next door. We really enjoyed the resort, stood in a 1bedroom unit for 7 days. At the time of the presentation we didn't purchase anything , but decided at the end of the week to go back and purchase the promotional package to come back for a week plus 7 weeks over the next 3 years at either villa properties or interval. I'm fairly new to this and would love some feedback from owners or people familiar with VDP. Happy? Worth it? Easy to book weeks? I was told that in the new place that as long as we gave 60 days notice, it's not a problem. I would appreciate any feedback I can get. I've read the many complaints about the villa group, I'm wondering if these experiences are the norm or atypical. The sales guy indicated that they were changing it up to make things easier now.
Thanks

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VILLA GROUP - VILLA DEL PALMAR
I can't tell you not to buy. I can tell you that my experience with Villa Group was not positive, and my sales person and other sales staff were not honest with me. Particularly that you have 7 days to rescind the contract if you change your mind. There is terrible miscommunication within the resort and you will get contradictory information depending on who you talk to. Fees will be tacked on your bill when you check out, well, because... You will not be able to get additional days at the 'prorated rate' even when rooms are available. I did not. My maintenance fee started at $495 in 2013. It is now $712. I would question everything you are told. Everything. Trying desperately to get out of this contract... Sorry. The resort is beautiful but I found the service, costs, and communication to negatively affect my experience.

SalCip107

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Amy. Thats why I only bought the promotional package, bc I wanted to do my research first. It's disappointing to hear, the 2 new places they're building close by look like they're going to be beautiful.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love VDP! We did the same as you. Took the promo package and went back the next year to purchase. Albeit after plenty of research here on TUG.

Making reservations has been easy.

The resorts and staff are wonderful.

Zero complaints so far. Only owned for 2 years now.

SalCip107

Reaction score
We would mostly use holiday weeks if we bought bc of the kids ....Easter, Christmas etc. Availability is one of our biggest concerns. Slinger, have you used any of the other VDP properties? I'm wondering if it's as easy to book those with enough notice. I could typically book a year in advance knowing what the school calendar would look like.

Last edited:

SalCip107

Reaction score
We love VDP! We did the same as you. Took the promo package and went back the next year to purchase. Albeit after plenty of research here on TUG.

Making reservations has been easy.

The resorts and staff are wonderful.

Zero complaints so far. Only owned for 2 years now.

Another quick question since you bought the promotional package. How easy we're the 6/7 weeks to book through interval? Is it as easy as they make it sound

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we bought the very next year, we didn't even use the "free weeks" through Interval.

We have yet to stay anywhere other than Cancun. We love it there! One of our most absolute favorite resorts around the world! (and we travel a fair amount)

I think you can book 18 or 24 months in advance. No weeks should be that much of an issue as long as you book early. From our experience.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We love the VDP's and own 4 old contracts that will expire by 2028, some sooner than later. The only problem we have is our 10 month booking window at times and that some of the resorts , Loreto and newer , are no longer available to us. For the Loreto resort we have to trade in with II. Cancun is still available to premier contracts.

If you can buy a Gold contract that doesn't have the 16- prefix, (most Gold contracts don't have the 16- prefix) you could reserve at all of the resorts with a 24 month reservation window and you could sell your contract as a Gold contract. All points contracts revert to premiere contracts when sold but retain the points maintenance fee. My 2 bedroom premiere contact mf is under $700 and 1 bedroom is under $600. These were bought resale for very little especially compared to the developer points prices.

The Cancun resort is pretty nice. The VDP Cabo and VDP PV are the oldest VDP Resorts and are not like the newer design of the VDP Cancun or the Arco.

Bill

SalCip107

Reaction score
We love the VDP's and own 4 old contracts that will expire by 2028, some sooner than later. The only problem we have is our 10 month booking window at times and that some of the resorts , Loreto and newer , are no longer available to us. For the Loreto resort we have to trade in with II. Cancun is still available to premier contracts.

If you can buy a Gold contract that doesn't have the 16- prefix, (most Gold contracts don't have the 16- prefix) you could reserve at all of the resorts with a 24 month reservation window and you could sell your contract as a Gold contract. All points contracts revert to premiere contracts when sold but retain the points maintenance fee. My 2 bedroom premiere contact mf is under $700 and 1 bedroom is under $600. These were bought resale for very little especially compared to the developer points prices.

The Cancun resort is pretty nice. The VDP Cabo and VDP PV are the oldest VDP Resorts and are not like the newer design of the VDP Cancun or the Arco.

Bill
Thanks for info Bill!!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Resorts - Grand Luxxe Residential Loft
The Royal Haciendas
Villa del Palmar
Cabo Villas Beach Resort
American Resorts International - ARI's Holiday Network
Just got back from VDP Cancun with my wife and 2 small kids. We attended the timeshare presentation for the new place they're building next door. We really enjoyed the resort, stood in a 1bedroom unit for 7 days. At the time of the presentation we didn't purchase anything , but decided at the end of the week to go back and purchase the promotional package to come back for a week plus 7 weeks over the next 3 years at either villa properties or interval. I'm fairly new to this and would love some feedback from owners or people familiar with VDP. Happy? Worth it? Easy to book weeks? I was told that in the new place that as long as we gave 60 days notice, it's not a problem. I would appreciate any feedback I can get. I've read the many complaints about the villa group, I'm wondering if these experiences are the norm or atypical. The sales guy indicated that they were changing it up to make things easier now.
Thanks
I always tell people to plan ahead. If you want to arrive during one of the busier weeks, make your reservations as early as possible. I reserve my unit 6 to 11 months in advance, and I have never had a problem receiving confirmation. Remember at VDP you are not locked into one location, you can go to any VDP property. I suggest you go to Nuevo Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas. The resort in Nuevo Vallarta is about a 30-45 minute walk along the beach to Bucerias, where they have several beachfront restaurants. There is a bus near the street entrance to VDP in Nuevo Vallarta, which provides service to Puerto Vallarta.