• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

vegetarian recipes

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You might want to consider using small amounts of olive oil for cooking, unless your dietician recommended against it. A modest amount of healthy oil in your diet is good for you. Some fat soluble vitamins are only found in fats.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Thanks Denise. With my stir fry I have using about a teaspoon of grape seed oil as I need the wok hot. I am getting fats as I am eating salmon , avocados, some nuts and olive oil . I use the olive oil for a topping or dressing . I mix a short tea spoon in with a couple of table spoons of lemon juice and seasonings for some veggies and fish.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What I have noticed about our new diet is that there are many non-recipes we use. Its the what ever is left recipe I use every week to use up all the veggies. There have been some odd combinations but usually the food taste good. Sweet potatoes cut in large cubes with the skin on and fried in the non stick wok seem kind of meaty. Regular potatoes cut the same way and cooked in an Instant Pot seem kind of meaty. Maybe hearty is a better description.

I have been mixing seasonings and do not include much salt. For a salt substitute I really like a product called Table Tasty. It is a little spendy but easy to get at Amazon. Dash seasonings are ok.

I find stir fry, roasting, Instant Pot, steaming and pressure canning to be good options for vegetarian meals. Recently I canned a variety of beans. All were pre-soaked. For me, pre-soak is the only way to go regarding dry beans to avoid getting gassy. One batch of beans was a tomato sauce type with Italian seasonings similar to spaghetti sauce. This is pretty good. I think I could use regular spaghetti sauce if I wanted to but the sodium in many of these sauses is kind of high.

My favorite Instant Pot recipe is split pea and potato. Navy bean and potato is pretty good too.

Soba noodles are pretty good. Brown rice noodles are pretty good.

Anyway, I guess Im just bored so Im updating this thread. I am improving as a pescatarian cook. :D

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Didn't read most of the posts so hope I don't repeat. My younger brother started a similar eating change though he doesn't and never has eaten fish. He was a meat hound, especially beef and decided he needed to lose about 100 pounds. The one item he seems to use is cauliflower in several forms. I know he makes some kind of crust with cauliflower purée that he uses for pizza among other things.
He spent about 2 weeks for a couple hours a day on the internet before starting and found all sorts of recipes for vegetarians and vegans. It seems the spices and herbs really make the difference. If using dried make sure to closely check the ingredient list so you don't add what you are trying to avoid.
Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.
Bart

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Bart ! I will check it out.

Bill

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
If you like cruises, you might consider taking a vegan cruise. My boss has been a vegan for many years and just went on one of these for the first time. The meals are all planned to please vegans and the cruise includes classes and demonstrations about vegan cooking. (I think there may be non-vegan options as well, for families where not everyone wants the vegan choice.) He found it very enjoyable and said there were a range of people, from those who wanted to try out vegan eating to people like himself who has become very experienced with it.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I am 200 + days since becoming a pescatarin and have lost about 30 pounds. I feel pretty good. Stir fry, instant pot, roasting, steaming and some processed foods like the vegan cheese and some sauses along with fish and occasionally chicken breast is where I am at. Thanks for the many good ideas. Oatmeal every morning and after 60 days I began to really like oatmeal. Occasional beers. Restaurants haven't been a problem. Going to friends homes for meals hasn't been a problem. All in all the switch was not a problem.

I recently had my 6 month cardiac review with my cardiologist and after reviewing the nuclear stress test I am told that I did in fact loose almost 20% of my heart but that the other 80% is very strong. Lucky for me I guess is that the 20% of the heart mussel I lost was in the lower center interior and lower left which are both in the bottom area. In the pictures I can see this. I went over 14 minutes on the treadmill for the nuclear stress test which is pretty good for anyone my age. I started cardiac rehab only able to walk just under a mile in an hour and finished the sessions able to walk 4 miles+ in an hour. I have continued the walking 4 times a week and was released to lift light weights at my last appointment. The one thing that my cardiologist told me that was very good to hear is that this heart attack hasn't affected my lifespan and if it did it would be minimal. Everything seems to be working good. My ejection fraction was about 60% and my blood pressure has increased from below 55/88 to above 70/110.

Changing my diet or exercising was pretty easy for me as I all ready exercised and had a decent diet. My conversations with God did increase a bit. I still have about 60 pounds of nice ribeyes in the freezer that are from before the diet change. I guess I will be giving them to Rex and family / friends who visit. Rex likes ribeyes but it gives him gas. :D

I have Areosmith concert ticket for this weekend. Life is good !!!

Bill

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
So I am 200 + days since becoming a pescatarin and have lost about 30 pounds. I feel pretty good. Stir fry, instant pot, roasting, steaming and some processed foods like the vegan cheese and some sauses along with fish and occasionally chicken breast is where I am at. Thanks for the many good ideas. Oatmeal every morning and after 60 days I began to really like oatmeal. Occasional beers. Restaurants haven't been a problem. Going to friends homes for meals hasn't been a problem. All in all the switch was not a problem.

I recently had my 6 month cardiac review with my cardiologist and after reviewing the nuclear stress test I am told that I did in fact loose almost 20% of my heart but that the other 80% is very strong. Lucky for me I guess is that the 20% of the heart mussel I lost was in the lower center interior and lower left which are both in the bottom area. In the pictures I can see this. I went over 14 minutes on the treadmill for the nuclear stress test which is pretty good for anyone my age. I started cardiac rehab only able to walk just under a mile in an hour and finished the sessions able to walk 4 miles+ in an hour. I have continued the walking 4 times a week and was released to lift light weights at my last appointment. The one thing that my cardiologist told me that was very good to hear is that this heart attack hasn't affected my lifespan and if it did it would be minimal. Everything seems to be working good. My ejection fraction was about 60% and my blood pressure has increased from below 55/88 to above 70/110.

Changing my diet or exercising was pretty easy for me as I all ready exercised and had a decent diet. My conversations with God did increase a bit. I still have about 60 pounds of nice ribeyes in the freezer that are from before the diet change. I guess I will be giving them to Rex and family / friends who visit. Rex likes ribeyes but it gives him gas. :D

I have Areosmith concert ticket for this weekend. Life is good !!!

Bill
Congratulations on your success. It's nice to hear how well you are doing. You are an inspiration!

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can buy the cauliflower pizza crust, pre-made and frozen, from Trader's Joes. They also have frozen bags of the "riced" cauliflower. And I know people swear by their spiralizers for veggie "pastas."

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 6.11.11 PM.png

I just saw this vegetarian Summer Pasta recipe that looks delicious, and would be perfect for anyone with lots of homegrown tomatoes:

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 6.09.13 PM.png

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Awesome, Bill -- great job! Thanks for the update. :)

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Moosewood is excellent, as someone else recommended. I'd also like to suggest the cookbooks from Americas Test Kitchens--I've never had a bad recipe from one of their books, and I have many. Right now, their vegetarian cookbook is on sale for $10.00 off. Almost all their cookbooks have a vegetarian section, but why not give the regular vegetarian cookbook a try and see if the recipes appeal to you--who knows, you could get hooked and have as many of their cookbooks as I do.

1. SHOP COOKBOOKS
  2. FROM OUR TV SHOW
  3. MAGAZINES
  4. KITS AND APPAREL
  5. SALE

vegetariancookbook_cover.jpg

The America’s Test Kitchen Complete Vegetarian Cookbook
In Stock

700+ RECIPES
472 PAGES, SOFTCOVER
FULL-COLOR PHOTOS THROUGHOUT
ITEM NUMBER CL03BKS
$29.95

$19.95

Savings $10.00 (33%)
QTY

A Fresh Guide to Eating Well with 700 Foolproof Recipes

The 700+ recipes in this comprehensive collection show you inventive and uncomplicated techniques for making boldly flavored main dishes, appetizers, soups and stews, pasta, pizzas, and more. Discover vegetarian makeovers of classic comfort food like Mushroom Bolognese (a combination of cremini and dried porcini mushrooms, soy sauce, and tomato paste replicate the meaty complexity of traditional Bolognese) and creative recipes like Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Gratin (earthy Swiss chard sautéed with shallot, garlic, and butter is the perfect foil for the sweet spuds).

Whether you’re a committed vegetarian or simply want to eat more vegetables and grains, this collection of re-imagined, meatless comfort food and all-new recipes inspired by ethnic cuisines will help you cook and eat well. Of the 709 total recipes, 300 are fast (start to finish in 45 minutes or less), 500 are gluten-free, and 250 are vegan.

We include cooking charts and resource materials such as All About pages for key ingredients (like hearty greens and fresh and dried chilis), Core Recipe Pages with simple but important recipes for staples like eggs and rice, easy-to-spot icons for gluten-free and vegan recipes, and hundreds of full- color recipe photos and step-by-step photos.

Recipes include:

Super Greens Soups with Lemon-Tarragon Cream, Roasted Poblano and Black Bean Enchiladas, Vegetable Pot Pie, Rustic Polenta Casserole with Mushrooms and Swiss Chard, Stuffed Eggplant with Bulgur, Pan-Seared Tempeh Steaks with Chimichurri Sauce, Vegetable Bibimap, Cabbage and Mushroom Potstickers, Butternut Squash Chili with Quinoa, Parsnip Hummus, and Millet Cakes with Spinach and Carrots.

You might also like

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I live in the metro Charlotte NC area ( including fort mill or Indian land sc). There is a fabulous vegan fresh food service that delivers and is priced reasonable & food is restaurant quality. I order from them as it saves me time and money.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Tee-hee, in February I posted a hot soup recipe. This summer, under extreme heat, I've perfected my go-to Watermelon Refresher beverage.

Ingredients:
  • 1" thick slice of watermelon (the full circle), remove rind, break melon into chunks
  • handful of baby carrots
  • chunk of fresh ginger with outer skin removed. (Start small to determine how much you enjoy. I go for a chunk that is almost the size of my thumb -- but that would likely be far too strong for most newbies.)
  • ~4 dashes of cinnamon (Caution: May lower blood pressure. Reduce or eliminate if on blood pressure medications. Check with your doctor?)
  • 2 dashes of cardamon
  • 4 handfuls of ice
Process: Toss all ingredients, starting with the watermelon first, into a Vitamix or similar blender. Set blender on "Frozen Drink" mode, if available. (If not, start on low until the watermelon is liquid, increase speed as the ice is ground and then run on high for about 1 minute.) Pour into pretty stemware, garnish with a sprig of fresh mint. Serves 2 or 3.

Why I love this recipe:
This beverage is festive (bright, cheery colors!) and has a zing! to it from the ginger and cinnamon. As for health considerations:
  • Watermelon: Hydration! Keeps you feel full. Contains plant based nutrients, antioxidants, etc.
  • Carrots: Fiber! Good source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K, potassium, antioxidants, etc.
  • Ginger: Anti-Inflammatory, may lower blood sugar, help fight infections, aids digestion, etc.
  • Cinnamon: Antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, lowers blood pressure, etc
  • Cardamon: Antioxidant, antimicrobial, aids digestion, etc.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Tee-hee, in February I posted a hot soup recipe. This summer, under extreme heat, I've perfected my go-to Watermelon Refresher beverage.

Ingredients:
  • 1" thick slice of watermelon (the full circle), remove rind, break melon into chunks
  • handful of baby carrots
  • chunk of fresh ginger with outer skin removed. (Start small to determine how much you enjoy. I go for a chunk that is almost the size of my thumb -- but that would likely be far too strong for most newbies.)
  • ~4 dashes of cinnamon (Caution: May lower blood pressure. Reduce or eliminate if on blood pressure medications. Check with your doctor?)
  • 2 dashes of cardamon
  • 4 handfuls of ice
Process: Toss all ingredients, starting with the watermelon first, into a Vitamix or similar blender. Set blender on "Frozen Drink" mode, if available. (If not, start on low until the watermelon is liquid, increase speed as the ice is ground and then run on high for about 1 minute.) Pour into pretty stemware, garnish with a sprig of fresh mint. Serves 2 or 3.

Why I love this recipe:
This beverage is festive (bright, cheery colors!) and has a zing! to it from the ginger and cinnamon. As for health considerations:
  • Watermelon: Hydration! Keeps you feel full. Contains plant based nutrients, antioxidants, etc.
  • Carrots: Fiber! Good source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K, potassium, antioxidants, etc.
  • Ginger: Anti-Inflammatory, may lower blood sugar, help fight infections, aids digestion, etc.
  • Cinnamon: Antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, lowers blood pressure, etc
  • Cardamon: Antioxidant, antimicrobial, aids digestion, etc.

Hi Rhonda,
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great drink.

Richard

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This year I did plant some tomatoes. So the tomato pasta is happening already. I use veganase , sriracha sauce and other spices. I am going to try the watermelon dealio this week. It almost sounds like the start of a great cocktail.

The Steve Tyler concert was pretty good. Not the best I have been to, but at least a 8 out of 10 concert. Concerts require more than a few beers to be a 10 most of the time, imo.

Next time I go by a Tradder Joes Im going to get some of the cauliflower pizza crust. It sounds terrible but I'm sure you tuggers wouldn't recommend something yucky, lol. :D

Bill

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on improving your health, Bill!

This recipe is so easy and delicious: http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09/one-pan-mexican-quinoa/

My favorite cookbook for the Instant Pot is Vegan Under Pressure by Jill Nussinow - great recipes. The book was written with stovetop pressure cookers in mind but the timing is the same for the Instant Pot. She offers many recipes for free on her website. http://www.theveggiequeen.com/

She has great charts in the book for cooking beans and grains in your Instant Pot. Speaking of beans, we love the heirloom beans from Rancho Gordo - we belong to their "bean club" and get a box of different, unusual beans a few times a year. They are simply delicious, unlike any bean you can buy in a regular grocery store around here.

Some of my favorite online recipe sites are:
http://www.brandnewvegan.com/ - easy and tasty recipes. Just last night we had the Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites from this site, it's one of our faves.
http://www.brandnewvegan.com/ - everything I've ever made from this site has been good
http://www.veganricha.com/ - we LOVE Indian food and she has some terrific recipes that aren't too hard to make
http://klunkerskitchen.com/ - easy, tasty, lots of variety

There are lots more, but almost everything I've made from those sites above are worth making again. So many recipes, so little time!

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dr. Josh Axe posted a comfort food recipe today, modified for healthier ingredients : Creamy Baked Mac & Cheese Casserole.
Dr. Josh Axe said:
Mac and cheese is one of the most beloved comfort foods — and for good reason. It’s creamy, filling and delicious. But when it’s made with refined carbohydrates and cheese from cow’s milk, mac and cheese can lead to inflammation, digestive issues and weight gain.

That’s exactly why I use healthier, digestion- and figure-friendly ingredients in my mac and cheese casserole, like brown rice pasta, goat cheese and spinach. Using the ingredients in this recipe makes my mac and cheese casserole completely gluten-free; plus, adding antioxidant-rich spinach makes this dish even more beneficial to your health because it limits inflammation in the body and boosts immunity.

So instead of turning to mac and cheese in a box or using processed foods to make your own version at home, try this healthy mac and cheese casserole. I know you’re going to love it and feel good after eating it, too.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On a different note ... I'm currently facing a wipe out on my first attempts to bake with coconut flour. Bleeck. The stuff just doesn't stick together or form up. I s'pose I'm missing the handy work of gluten found in my whole wheat flours? I'll keep working this. I'm so very glad for the cooler weather and, with it, the invitation to play in my kitchen! Bone broth will be simmering all weekend long ... yippie!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been pressure canning skinned chicken breasts in quart jars for years and have added this to my diet. Pressure canning these chicken breasts eliminates most of the fat in the chicken breasts. Instead of a teaspoon of salt I use a tablespoon of a salt substitute called " Table Tasty". So far I have made salt free chicken noodle soup with brown rice noddles, garlic, carrots, celery, onion and table tasty that everyone seems to like. The soup was gone because family members showed up and helped themselves, which is fine .

I also made chicken salad with veganaise, onions, peppers and table tasty, which doesn't seem to last very long. I like this on crackers, rice or noddles. Family members seems to like it on a bun.

Salmon season was a bust this year and the cost is crazy high for fillets so I guess I will try using more of the canned chicken in other recipes.

Bill

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On a different note ... I'm currently facing a wipe out on my first attempts to bake with coconut flour. Bleeck. The stuff just doesn't stick together or form up. I s'pose I'm missing the handy work of gluten found in my whole wheat flours? I'll keep working this. I'm so very glad for the cooler weather and, with it, the invitation to play in my kitchen! Bone broth will be simmering all weekend long ... yippie!
My wipeout has been salvaged! Turns out that treats baked with coconut flour are pet safe ... and the dog loved my recipe. :)

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Over time I think I hit my groove regarding this new diet.

Breakfast is never missed and it is always oatmeal and coffee. Lunch never seems to happen and was replaced with a snack sometimes.

I find that I'm steaming seasoned salmon often. I get the steamer going and in 6 1/2 minutes the salmon is perfect. Buck wheat soba noodles added to the wok of fresh veggies is often a go to when I use the steamer. As the water in the steamer pot starts to boil I add the soba or udon noodles for 3 - 5 minutes then toss the noodles into the wok with the veggies. Next, the seafood goes into the steamer. More often than not it is salmon or shrimp.

The sauce is 1/4 cup low sodium soy, a couple of teaspoons Worcester, a couple of teaspoons fish sauce and a couple of teaspoons of garlic hoisin sauce. Anymore I don't really measure, just eyeball. The sauce goes into the wok after the noodles and everything gets mixed in the wok really good.

I kind of started eating beef again. Only a few times usually at a restaurant. I found that I don't like beef as much as I thought I did.

No dairy products. No breads. Very few processed foods. I did find a couple of fake cheeses I like. Instead of mayo I use veganaise.

I found a sweet potato soup in the Moosewood recipe book that I like. I cut out a few of the ingredients. I found a split pea and potato soup that really hits the spot.

California rolls and sushi are easy to make for snacks. I like using salmon or tuna in the sushi if its for dinner.

Beer has replaced whiskey. Not often but occasionally.

The result is a reduction of the plaque that had accumulated in my arteries over the years through diet, exercise and medications.

Feeling pretty good these days.

Bill

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ah, my local Costco has has started offering Organic Cauliflower! I've just polished off a hearty bowl of roasted veggies for my late breakfast.
  • Thinly sliced Cauliflower
  • Thinly sliced Cabbage
  • Sliced Mushrooms
  • Sliced Onion (sweet yellow today)
  • Baby Carrots
  • Toss with Olive Oil, freshly ground Himalayan Salt and Pepper, Turmeric and Herbes de Provence
  • Sprinkle freshly grated lemon rind and squeeze one lemon wedge
  • ~35 minutes in the oven at 350'ish (mine is just an electric, counter top, toaster oven; cooked in a Pampered Chef stoneware casserole dish)
  • Finish with a smidge of grated hard cheese
YUM. (very "Rhonda food" as my husband would call it)