• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Uri Fried gets year in jail fo not reporting 1.9mil in income via timeshare sales

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The foreclosure process varies by state and country. So the arguments here about whether or not it costs a lot of money or energy to foreclose are not meaningful. It really all depends on the location of the timeshare.

Similarly, whether or not Viking Ships are legal or illegal depends on the state/country of the timeshare as well as the LLC. The debate about whether they're immoral or fair game is unlikely to be resolved. It's a long-standing debate here on TUG.

So let's talk about the IRS. The news article at the beginning of this thread claims that they're owed $706,636 in federal taxes for two years. Who thinks the IRS has tons of evidence to support this claim and who thinks the IRS is just pulling numbers out of a hat?

Since the housing crash, foreclosure in most states has become a lot more difficult and expensive.

I doubt the irs is just making up numbers if they are willing to go to xourt.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
much less go to court, but to actually get a conviction.

its easily safe to say they have plenty of evidence to back up their number.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who's stiffing old ladies? Maybe DRI, Wyndham and developers is your reference.

Not really what I was referring to. Actually the names of the two companies you provided do currently offer deedbacks, at the least, in a limited way. There have been several posts on TUG about resorts that will not allow deedbacks, period. Or the process to even apply is just a time consuming hassle. I don't have time to go back and dig them up, but they're there.

IMO if a resort were to get more deedbacks than they could manage, then perhaps it's time for the resort to just close the doors. It really is that simple. But, I know many here disagree, and are more in favor of destroying the "deadbeat's" credit, simply because they can no longer afford to pay.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
So let's talk about the IRS. The news article at the beginning of this thread claims that they're owed $706,636 in federal taxes for two years. Who thinks the IRS has tons of evidence to support this claim and who thinks the IRS is just pulling numbers out of a hat?

Are you suggesting that it is quite easy to be convicted for tax evasion without strong evidence? Or are you suggesting that IRS does not or cannot--via seizure of computers, investigation of bank transactions, credit card transactions, municipal records, et al.--arrive at a competent estimation of back taxes owed? Or both? And what would lead you to that conclusion?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Not really what I was referring to. Actually the names of the two companies you provided do currently offer deedbacks, at the least, in a limited way. There have been several posts on TUG about resorts that will not allow deedbacks, period. Or the process to even apply is just a time consuming hassle. I don't have time to go back and dig them up, but they're there.

IMO if a resort were to get more deedbacks than they could manage, then perhaps it's time for the resort to just close the doors. It really is that simple. But, I know many here disagree, and are more in favor of destroying the "deadbeat's" credit, simply because they can no longer afford to pay.

So if a percentage of any unit, say 25-30% of the owners in any one condo are wanting to walk away, how do you convince the other people of that one condo to let their ownerships go? This is a problem, especially when those older folks paid $15K for a ski week 30+ years ago and think they have something of value, when in fact they do not. This has been an issue at Twin Rivers.

Twin Rivers' new HOA BOD just sold weeks to a vacation club, which they didn't even name in the newsletter, and it was a substantial 125 weeks. Who knows if this group will pay the fees each year, and what club? I don't like the lack of information, and of course the folks in the office have NO IDEA.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if a percentage of any unit, say 25-30% of the owners in any one condo are wanting to walk away, how do you convince the other people of that one condo to let their ownerships go?

As you say, if 25-30% deed back their units, then the resorts will have to figure out a way to resell or give away those units. If the resorts can't even give those units away to other takers, then there's the problem. If the weeks are really that worthless that nobody else will take them for free (or at minimal cost), then that's why it might be time to close the doors.

In your example, if the other owners don't want to let their ownerships go, then the ones that do want to stick around, can pay the increased MFs to continue the operation of the resort.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I fully understand the issues involved thank you.

I have no idea why you posted this, since I was clearly addressing hotellier, and even quoted him in my post.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

You think the IRS went to court with numbers they "pulled out of a hat," and the defense attorney, judge and jury bought it, and convicted Fried, and sent him to prison, based on made up numbers?

Or maybe it's a conspiracy, and they were all in on it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
much less go to court, but to actually get a conviction.

They got a plea deal. They didn't convict based on evidence. The court ruled based on a confession. To me, that says that Uri knew the IRS was going to make his life hell and simply decided to take the easier way out. He likely made the deal believing he would get probation. Did you read the article you posted? It said:

"Fried pleaded guilty on May 22, 2015.
Vaudreuil's office said Fried did business as a timeshare wholesaler. As part of the plea process, Fried agreed that his unreported income from this business between 2008 and 2009 was $1,980,035 and that he owed $706,636 in federal taxes for those two years.
Peterson rejected Fried’s request for probation and stated that a prison sentence was necessary to promote respect for the law and to deter others who may be inclined to cheat on their taxes."

Please note: I'm NOT saying the IRS's claims are baseless. I believe it's very likely that Uri committed tax evasion. But I highly doubt the numbers the IRS claimed are accurate. More likely, the numbers the IRS cites are higher or lower than the actual income.

You think the IRS went to court with numbers they "pulled out of a hat," and the defense attorney, judge and jury bought it, and convicted Fried, and sent him to prison, based on made up numbers?

Or maybe it's a conspiracy, and they were all in on it? :rolleyes:
What jury? There was no jury. He plead guilty and waived his right to a jury trial.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1. I didn't post it

2. I read it

3. Your theory is silly

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I feel you simply take the most illogical stance on many posts just for the sake of argument, vs based on any sound reasoning.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Uri Fried! Holy Cow! It's been years since I last heard that name come up, although I'm not at all surprised by the current context. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that dri basically made their entire business out of buying timeshares for a dollar, taking over those resorts and selling those same timeshares to new people for tens of thousands. .and then buying them back for a fee.. if you want to dump any timeshare. . Dri may take it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that dri basically made their entire business out of buying timeshares for a dollar, taking over those resorts and selling those same timeshares to new people for tens of thousands. .and then buying them back for a fee.. if you want to dump any timeshare. . Dri may take it.

not quite sure what this has to do with the topic in this thread? did you mean to post it in a different thread?

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
There are so many people who are in these scams up to their noses. I am surprised we still get cold calls from different companies to relieve us of our timeshare. I think news of these arrests aren't actually making it to the other scammers' ears and eyes.

I wonder if Uri would do the same, if he had to do it all over again.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
not quite sure what this has to do with the topic in this thread? did you mean to post it in a different thread?
Sorry meant to post as a reply to one of the viking ship comments as an alternative to deed back to your resort or viking ship. E.g. if resort has no process or is unwilling ( their choice which causes hardship to owner ) approach dri next ( as it is their model to not build inventory but instead buy it up for next to nothing or make seller pay and then resell for thousands while retaining voting rights enough to eventually get management contract by controlling hoa).

An independent with no deedback program may quickly become dri property this way.

MPERL

TUG Member
Reaction score
What if you paid one of these companies to get rid of your timeshare a few years ago. How do you check to see if you are still on the hook in any way? Or involved in any shenanigans?

WackyLucy

Reaction score
What if you paid one of these companies to get rid of your timeshare a few years ago. How do you check to see if you are still on the hook in any way? Or involved in any shenanigans?

It seems to me that a very quick and easy way would be to just look up your own name in the County records where the timeshare is located.
For most of the U.S., this can usually be done online in a minute or less, day or night and at no cost.

If the latest deed you find with your name is an old one with you as the grantee that is definitely not good news, regardless of whatever amount of money was paid or when or to whom. Still being the most recent deed grantee indicates that you are still on the books as the owner of record.

I'm no expert, but reports repeatedly indicate that paying money to "exit" companies very often doesn't actually result in a legal exit at all.

Last edited:

MPERL

TUG Member
Reaction score
My best friend's parents paid a lot of money about 8 years ago to EZ Exit to get rid of 2 timeshares.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry meant to post as a reply to one of the viking ship comments as an alternative to deed back to your resort or viking ship. E.g. if resort has no process or is unwilling ( their choice which causes hardship to owner ) approach dri next ( as it is their model to not build inventory but instead buy it up for next to nothing or make seller pay and then resell for thousands while retaining voting rights enough to eventually get management contract by controlling hoa).

An independent with no deedback program may quickly become dri property this way.

What is "dri"? Do you mean Uri? I thought they resold timeshares for nothing. I bought one from one of his companies back in 2013 for $100 and free usage.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is "dri"? Do you mean Uri? I thought they resold timeshares for nothing. I bought one from one of his companies back in 2013 for $100 and free usage.
Diamond resorts international. There was a whole series of posts on viking ships so I gave an alternative.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that a very quick and easy way would be to just look up your own name in the County records where the timeshare is located.
For most of the U.S., this can usually be done online in a minute or less, day or night and at no cost.

If the latest deed you find with your name is an old one with you as the grantee that is definitely not good news, regardless of whatever amount of money was paid or when or to whom. Still being the most recent deed grantee indicates that you are still on the books as the owner of record.

I'm no expert, but reports repeatedly indicate that paying money to "exit" companies very often doesn't actually result in a legal exit at all.

The county records is a good start but it is not the ultimate way to go. Anyone can record a deed transfer but did the resort actually process the transfer in their system?