• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unit I rented does not have promised view [Marriott Grande Ocean]

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Thanks- that's helpful. I saw some units listed as "oceanside." Probably why. This one was clearly listed as "ocean view," which in my mind is different.

At this point, I'm stuck with what I'm stuck with. I was naive, and I'm generally not. I felt VERY uncomfortable initially, but I let my guard down- knowing better- because others I know had good experiences. In retrospect, I should have known better. It really wasn't any different than renting something off Craig's List, I suppose (which I'd never do). I was just an idiot. Probably lucky I have a unit at all, really.

I sent the owner an email and await his response.

I understand why you are concerned and nervous about accepting what the owner is telling you. Many of us have experienced similar things with our own stays as owners, owners who rent and as renters ourselves so can relate to both your concern and his response.

I'm a Wyndham owner myself but a few months ago I bought a stay on eBay stay from another Wyndham owner. I had to email him several times requesting that he forward the guest confirmation email that I knew he would have received. He didn't understand why I wanted it. He reassured me that we had a reservation and told me I could call the resort to confirm it which of course I did. He did finally send it after I kept pushing. When I looked at his sale history I found that he had rented out a stay only once before and that was months earlier. He clearly had little experience renting and no idea how it should have been handled. That made me feel somewhat better but I didn't fully relax until I had that guest confirmation email.

You weren't naive nor an idiot. You will have a unit and from what the owner and others have told you can expect to be very happy with it. You have convinced yourself with help from some others that you have cause for concern. I agree with the others who have advised you to stop obsessing and relax. It appears that you are dealing with an owner who has personal experience with the resort and does an occasional rental, not a business. Most owners who rent do their best to handle things appropriately but they aren't professionals. And if the person was renting as a business you would have most likely paid more for your stay.

Some renters are such a pain in the butt to the owners and also to the resort seeking reassurance and needing their hands held that the owner would be completely happy to never deal with them again in the future and resort is less inclined to be helpful to them also. Don't step over the line and be "that guy". You might like the resort and unit so much you would want to rent from that person again in the future and some owners will give you a better deal as a repeat renter.

If you are calling the resort try to call when they aren't busy doing check outs or check ins, usually later in the evening is a good time to call. When we are thinking of staying at a resort for the first time and I want more information while I can still cancel the reservation without penalty I first look at the resort website, next I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and then I call the resort. I have found the staff to be very helpful and very forthright in their answers to my questions.

On behalf of all of us, we hope you have a wonderful vacation. And please post a report about your stay when you get back.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This resort has always had only "oceanside" or "oceanfront" unit designations, which are described on reservation confirmations and/or the marriott.com portal as respectively "courtyard view" and "close to beach." Neither of them have EVER been officially described by Marriott Vacation Club or Marriott, Int'l as "ocean view." The ONLY references to "ocean view" have been asserted by the owner, apparently (if the OP has quoted the owner correctly) multiple times including in the Redweek ad and in several emails after the renter started asking questions. If the owner made a mistake and said "ocean view" only once I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But the fact that he said it repeatedly, after being questioned about specific placement, removes that benefit IMO.

I'm not surprised that the resort staff told the renter that s/he'd have a view of a lagoon or a pool because the property has several pools and a lagoon that winds throughout. But if the owner had been honest in the ad or the follow-up emails he could have said the same thing to the OP, because in one of the emails he as much as admitted that the placement for his latest stay followed all the previous ones. He also could have said, truthfully, that at least a sliver of the ocean can be seen from a few of the "oceanside" units and he might get lucky!

I honestly don't understand why so many TUGgers are so dismissive about this OP's specific concern. Sure, Grande Ocean is a wonderful resort and many, many people would be happy in any unit on property. But this OP rented from this owner specifically because the ad stated "ocean view" which made it stand out compared to multiple others that stated (correctly) "oceanside." And now that we're being asked by the OP for an explanation because he doesn't own at the resort and the owner is giving him a song and dance about the resort changing view designations, the response we're giving him is, "don't step over the line, don't be that guy" as if this is all the OP's fault?!?! I am fairly certain that this OP is not going to want to rent from this owner again, nevermind any other timeshare owners! Regardless of whether this owner does two or two hundred rentals, this OP has a legitimate concern. Do we really want the message to be that we're okay with scams as long as it's not the timeshare owners who get hurt?!

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
My apologies. My response was based on what may be several erroneous assumptions.

1. The renter contacted the resort to confirm their reservation and the unit type.
2. As Sue stated in an earlier post too much time has passed. Back in March or April the owner could have refunded their money, re-rented the unit and they could have booked something else.
3. The reservation is for a summer week and at this point there is not likely be much else available at a reasonable price.
4. The renter has likely made plans, scheduled vacation time, etc.
5. If the renter said that he/she paid the same price that other owners were asking for a guaranteed oceanfront unit, then I missed it.
6. Another thing I may have missed. Did anyone say with 100% certainty that the renter won't have any view at all of the ocean, not even from a corner of the balcony, which at most resorts qualifies as oceanview.
7. When we rent from owners on TUG, eBay, Redweek, Craigslist, we typically aren't dealing with professionals but most try to do their best. Not every one uses the exact same terminology in describing their rentals which can lead to confusion. It is unfortunate but it doesn't make this owner a scammer. He did seem too nonchalant in his responses about the unit description to suit me but when I read the listings on the various rental sites and am familiar with the resorts myself I often find the descriptions lacking.
8. Owners, if they have done much renting, have prior experience with nervous renters and know it can be very difficult at every step of the way to keep them from worrying about anything and everything. I'm quite sure the person we rented from a few months ago would call me a nervous renter because I insisted on having that emailed guest confirmation. Since then Wyndham just recently changed how they do a lot of things and one of them is that the guest confirmation can now go directly from them to the guest as long as the owner adds the guest's email address when they register the guest.
9. I saved this one for last because I see it as the most important. That the renter is like most people and going into a vacation being unhappy and thinking they've been wronged isn't a good state of mind. It usually carries over into the vacation. As long as they know they do have a confirmed reservation and have done what they can in contacting the owner, it may be time to do like the prayer says: Grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change...

Five years ago my husband and I stayed at Wyndham Emerald Grande in Destin in a 3 bedroom plus harbor view unit. The resort is a lot of points to book and we could have stayed two weeks at another resort for the number of points we used to stay 5 nights there. Our only view of the water was if we stood in the corner of the living room by the TV or went out on the balcony. Even then most of what we saw was the highway, stores and restaurants. I had the option of selecting other unit types when I booked but after reading the descriptions and talking to a VC I was willing to use more points to get this supposedly at that time best view. When we got into our unit and looked around we went back down to the front desk and told them they had put us in the wrong unit type. We were extremely disappointed to find out they hadn't and unfortunately for us the resort was completely full that weekend as there was a very large group staying there for a wedding. They offered to move us after the weekend but at that point we were settled in and didn't want to waste the time involved in changing units for just two more nights. Ironically there were lower point units that actually had very nice water views; the resort had us look at a couple different unit types before we left. Wyndham has since added a lot of units at Emerald Grande many of which have great views.

I recently sent friends to Emerald Grande in a 3 bedroom plus unit which according to the newest description and what the resort also told me only has a North facing city view. However the unit does have a wrap around balcony and from looking at the resort map I didn't see how the unit wouldn't have at least some water view from part of the balcony. I told them that unit type was the only reservation I was able to find for them and advised them not to expect any water view. When they got there they immediately sent me pictures from the living room and both sides of the balcony. They had a far, far better really nice water view from all three spots than we had in the harborview unit which is more points to book. Go figure!

My point in relating my experience is that even when we do our due diligence it still doesn't always work out the way we thought it would. It bothered me to hear the person putting her/himself down for being naive or an idiot.

A word of advice for them. In the future pay using a credit card linked to your PayPal account. That will give you a double layer of protection.

Last edited:

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
First off I am sorry the OP is experiencing this level of anxiety before taking a trip they should be looking forward to enjoying. I fully understand this because it happened to us one year. Same concern (getting an expected oceanfront view), but for a different reason (dealing with property management company vs an individual owner). As JanM states, unfortunately this could negatively impact your whole vacation. If it is any consolation to OP whatsoever MGO is a great property overall whatever unit you are staying in.

Personally I would not assume the renter was intentionally trying to defraud anyone. Unfortunately I have come across many owners who don't fully understand what they own or are not capable of fully explaining key details about the property or the potential unit one may end up with. However I am not excusing the renter of their responsibility. This owner sounds like an inexperienced renter and they sound like a sloppy renter.

Even when I am looking to buy certain units from owners I sometimes am surprised how often I need to explain to the owner what information I am looking for and where to find it to confirm their unit type and / or unit location. They are trying to sell their unit to me but can't even fully explain what they own.

As SueDonJ said, there are only 2 unit types at Grande Ocean. Oceanfront and Oceanside.

Oceanside unit views cannot be guaranteed, only requested. But depending on if one is staying in the South courtyard or the North courtyard, the view can potentially be an outstanding ocean view from the higher floors from some buildings in the South courtyard (overlooking the Dolphin pool), or a view of the lagoon and trees in the North courtyard. In general I have found people who own and stay in Oceanside units at Grande Ocean usually understand this drill and that doesn't seem to impact their enjoyment of the resort or their vacation.

I rented out an MGO Oceanside unit we own to a couple this year. I advertised it as Oceanside on Redweek. I explained what I wrote above to the people renting from me who really wanted a view of the ocean. In the rental agreement I specifically stated that I would try to get the couple an ocean view but could not guarantee it. I followed up with calls to the front desk at MGO multiple times leading up to the couples arrival trying to get them a high floor in the South courtyard. They ended up getting 3rd floor in the South courtyard, barely a peek at the ocean, but they still loved their week.

It should be noted I have read threads in the past from owner's who own Oceanfront units at MGO who had guests complain about their views because they got 1st floor and had their views partially obstructed by trees / brush. Even Oceanfront unit owners can't always guarantee the high floor panoramic ocean views some renters may imagine when renting MGO.

I still think the OP would have a great vacation regardless. And I recommend the OP calling MGO front desk and seeing if there is anyway possible to get their unit assigned to a high floor in the South courtyard. It is probably too late for that now and probably won't happen since those Oceanside units are always in highest demand because of the ocean views, but it couldn't hurt to try.

To the OP, I also recommend you review the resort layout at MGO. Have you done that yet? You should. It will give you a better idea of what I am trying to explain above. You will see that Oceanside can mean many things when it comes to view you will have.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I may be a party of one here but if it were me I would show up at the Resort and check in. Grand Ocean is a great resort and HHI a great destination. My guess is that there is a good chance you will be more than satisfied with your accommodation and wonder why you got yourself so wound up.

I am with bogey21 on this. Just forget about it. Enjoy yourself. Sometimes the thing to do is let go.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
That is not correct - per the front desk, there is no Oceanside View - and the owner knew that, and belatedly recalled that little fact:

"Oh well, I think the resort changed the name of the view to lagoon or pool. It will still be great. Have fun!"

and that's why he didn't send the confirmation to the renter - because it says Lagoon or Pool View.

It's believable that one could mix up oceanside, oceanview, and oceanfront.

It's not believeable to advertise lagoon or pool view as Ocean View.

IMNSHO - even if someone was that confused about their own property, it's not an acceptable mistake - it's the sloppiest of work, and the owner should offer compensation, instead of trying to spin the whole thing.

The front desk may not call it Oceanside (what they said is there is no oceanview not that there was no Oceanside view) nor does marriott.com but if you look at marriottvacationclub.com the only two designations at Grande Ocean are Ocean front(OF) and ocean side (OS). Marriott didn't sell lagoon or pool views. If you are using destination points to book you don't see lagoon or pool view as an option to book only OF or OS.

And there are about 14 current Ocean Views listed (out of a hundred listings) on redweek for Grande Ocean. So I actually think it isn't that uncommon of a mistake for owners to make when listing.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem here is unless the owner is totally clueless he purposely lied to you about guaranteeing an OV because he should know the only way to guarantee an OV is to own an officially classified OF unit at the GO as there are only 2 official views at the GO courtyard (garden) view or oceanfront view. So since they didn't own OF they would've known about the view distinction. So they lied on the RW ad to entice you to buy his over the other ads that correctly noted the view.

Now with that said it's possible that you might end up with a oceanview because some of the non-OF classified units do have nice oceanview but there aren't too many and those are usually given to multi-week owners staying on the property.

What I would do is call the front desk and explain you paid for OV and now find out you were unfortunately mislead and to ask if there was anyway they could give you a view unit. I think if you're nice about it and maybe get a sympathetic person they may hook you up.

Lastly, if you don't get a view i know that will be disappointing but aside from that you should really love the GO and HHI as it is an amazing resort and island we've come to truly love.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now looking back on all the comments, to me it's very clear the owner purposely lied. It is one thing if they listed as OS and said I'm pretty sure you'll get a view and there was no other exchange but this owner went out of his way to say all units are the same and OP will get OV so he knew he was lying or didn't care if he was, which is something brokers do all the time, which to me is the same level of dishonesty involved.

And it's likely the 14 other OV listings fall into the same category of willful dishonesty.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This resort has always had only "oceanside" or "oceanfront" unit designations, which are described on reservation confirmations and/or the marriott.com portal as respectively "courtyard view" and "close to beach." Neither of them have EVER been officially described by Marriott Vacation Club or Marriott, Int'l as "ocean view." The ONLY references to "ocean view" have been asserted by the owner, apparently (if the OP has quoted the owner correctly) multiple times including in the Redweek ad and in several emails after the renter started asking questions. If the owner made a mistake and said "ocean view" only once I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But the fact that he said it repeatedly, after being questioned about specific placement, removes that benefit IMO.

I'm not surprised that the resort staff told the renter that s/he'd have a view of a lagoon or a pool because the property has several pools and a lagoon that winds throughout. But if the owner had been honest in the ad or the follow-up emails he could have said the same thing to the OP, because in one of the emails he as much as admitted that the placement for his latest stay followed all the previous ones. He also could have said, truthfully, that at least a sliver of the ocean can be seen from a few of the "oceanside" units and he might get lucky!

I honestly don't understand why so many TUGgers are so dismissive about this OP's specific concern. Sure, Grande Ocean is a wonderful resort and many, many people would be happy in any unit on property. But this OP rented from this owner specifically because the ad stated "ocean view" which made it stand out compared to multiple others that stated (correctly) "oceanside." And now that we're being asked by the OP for an explanation because he doesn't own at the resort and the owner is giving him a song and dance about the resort changing view designations, the response we're giving him is, "don't step over the line, don't be that guy" as if this is all the OP's fault?!?! I am fairly certain that this OP is not going to want to rent from this owner again, nevermind any other timeshare owners! Regardless of whether this owner does two or two hundred rentals, this OP has a legitimate concern. Do we really want the message to be that we're okay with scams as long as it's not the timeshare owners who get hurt?!
I may have missed a post or 2, but don't recall anyone saying:
"don't step over the line, don't be that guy" as if this is all the OP's fault?!?! I am fairly certain that this OP is not going to want to rent from this owner again, nevermind any other timeshare owners! Regardless of whether this owner does two or two hundred rentals, this OP has a legitimate concern. Do we really want the message to be that we're okay with scams as long as it's not the timeshare owners who get hurt?!

As to the substance, yes, the owner may have intentionally deceived the OP, or not. Clearly, oceanfront here isn't like many other resorts, as the units are set so far back from the water. But even if the owner had put oceanside instead of oceanview, would the OP have had any different expectation, since the OP really didn't know what the designations meant either way? I don't think so.

And none of the ads on RW say lagoon or pool view, Marriott.coms designation. They all use the mvc designation oceanside.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes, that was posted, although the poster did back off this position in a later post:
Don't step over the line and be "that guy".

I try to be super accurate with rentals, because I know that renters often don't know the resort well, and I feel that the OWNER has a responsibility to be sure that they are providing clear and accurate info. So when I see a situation like this where the owner handles the entire rental process really poorly, it ticks me off.

If it was just the error in the name/description "Ocean View," that would be one thing, but it's not:

Strike Two: Even when questioned closely, the owner fails to disclose exactly what the view is, and in fact, seems to try to spin the facts.

Strike Three: 3 days before the rental, and the owner hasn't sent the guest a Marriott confirmation.

I am astounded that so many posters want the renter to just be a nice guy, and go along with this - "being a nice guy and going along with this" is why so many people get scammed in the timeshare industry.

I will stop now. ;)

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grande Ocean sells two view types, oceanside and oceanfront. However, the confirmation letters for oceanside now show as poolview.

The reason for this is that the oceanside classification often doesn't give any view because of the high dunes. The resort kept getting complaints, so decided that changing the wording on the confirmation would help to reduce that.. However, I don't think anyone has ever contacted the existing owners to explain the change. Many timeshare owners are unaware of the change in teminology, and may be unaware that what they purchased doesn't always provide an oceanview.

I wouldn't "demand" $500 from the owner unless you have the option of simply cancelling your trip entirely. I doubt you'll find anything comparable in quality or price this close to check in. The timeshare owner is going to feel embarrassed and cheated by the resort, and in my experience owners who face that reality often misdirect their anger at the person who forces them to wake up. If this becomes a heated argument chances are both sides will lose.. Plus, you may actually be assigned a high floor which does provide a partial oceanview. Units are all assigned at check in by the front desk, so the timeshare owner has no say over what specific unit you'll be assigned.

Try to explain the situation to the timeshare owner and make him aware of the resort change with terminology. Then tell him you'll take a photo from the balcony so he can see the view you actually received. If it's not a partial oceanview, I'd ask him for a partial refund which would still allow him to keep enough to pay the m. fees (if this is a 2br he'll have paid just under $1,500 in fees) but still give you some compensation for the miscommunication..

I hope some of that helps.. As a broker, I deal with this type of issue constantly. There often isn't any intent to defraud, it's just that the vast majority of timeshare owners don't really understand what they own. Developers foster confusion and there is very little transparency with the products or sales techniques- so a large part of what I do is to try and educate owners when they give me their rental listing.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I would urge you to continue with your trip. That resort is beautiful, and the units were all renovated after the last storms so the quality should be absolutely top level. Plus, if you rented on RedWeek you'll still receive great value regardless of the view.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I may have missed a post or 2, but don't recall anyone saying:
"don't step over the line, don't be that guy" as if this is all the OP's fault?!?! I am fairly certain that this OP is not going to want to rent from this owner again, nevermind any other timeshare owners! Regardless of whether this owner does two or two hundred rentals, this OP has a legitimate concern. Do we really want the message to be that we're okay with scams as long as it's not the timeshare owners who get hurt?!

As to the substance, yes, the owner may have intentionally deceived the OP, or not. Clearly, oceanfront here isn't like many other resorts, as the units are set so far back from the water. But even if the owner had put oceanside instead of oceanview, would the OP have had any different expectation, since the OP really didn't know what the designations meant either way? I don't think so.

And none of the ads on RW say lagoon or pool view, Marriott.coms designation. They all use the mvc designation oceanside.

From the post just above mine:
... Some renters are such a pain in the butt to the owners and also to the resort seeking reassurance and needing their hands held that the owner would be completely happy to never deal with them again in the future and resort is less inclined to be helpful to them also. Don't step over the line and be "that guy". You might like the resort and unit so much you would want to rent from that person again in the future and some owners will give you a better deal as a repeat renter. ...

You could be right and some of the people who rent "oceanside" units on Redweek think that guarantees an ocean view. But IMO good owners who are concerned about their reputations and their guests are forthcoming about what that designation actually means, if not by furnishing a copy of the confirmation notice that shows "courtyard view" then by truthfully answering repeated questions from their renters. They don't do what this owner did which was to repeatedly mislead the OP with the actual term, "ocean view."

The "lagoon or pool view" thing came from the resort staff when the OP called the resort to ask questions about the unit to which he'd be assigned. I could be wrong but it sounds to me like they tried to explain that the OP wouldn't be assigned to a unit with a view of the ocean (as expected) but he'd most likely see a pool or a lagoon in the courtyard.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It's tough to get something last-minute summer anywhere. The owner is arrogant to rent a unit based on one view and then provide something very different. Contracts are important, and if the contract says ocean view, the owner is guilty of lying to get the rental. My daughter-in-law would say, "Sue him." But I don't know what else you would get at this late notice.

And I am with Denise because where is the confirmation from Marriott with the name of the renter?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This:
Grande Ocean sells two view types, oceanside and oceanfront. However, the confirmation letters for oceanside now show as poolview.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think some people are saying, try not to let this disappointment spoil your trip, there will be much to enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This: Grande Ocean sells two view types, oceanside and oceanfront. However, the confirmation letters for oceanside now show as poolview.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else which is surprising because Grande Ocean is a big resort and this type of thing is usually right up the TUG Marriott forum alley. It's possible but I'd like to see one of these confirmation notices if anyone wants to send a PM. :)

If you try to pull up a phantom Grande Ocean reservation on marriott.com, the "room details" for units officially designated as "oceanside" still show the term "courtyard view" (and "oceanfront" still shows as "close to beach.") That terminology is what's imported into any of the ...vacationclub.com portals including the confirmation certificates, and I remember back when these terms were first put into use - around 2011 judging by a TUG search - there was considerable talk about it.

I think some people are saying, try not to let this disappointment spoil your trip, there will be much to enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, the OP should still be thinking positively about having a wonderful vacation at a wonderful resort! (I'm on the island now, he should also be prepared for high heat/humidity and the possibility of thunderstorms which is typical July weather.)

But in his shoes I still would be having this discussion with the owner, and trying to get a partial refund of the difference if it's possible for him to prove that the average "oceanside" Redweek ad price was lower than what he paid for the stated "ocean view" Redweek ad that he answered/rented. ;)

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep - Enjoying your vacation and pursuing compensation for a botched rental are two completely different things.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Let's hope it doesn't turn out to be a week this guy doesn't even own, like an agent or an II confirmation. We all know those are possibilities.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Let's hope it doesn't turn out to be a week this guy doesn't even own, like an agent or an II confirmation. We all know those are possibilities.
OP said resort confirmed they are added to reservation.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It could still be an Interval Reservation - at 3 days before check-in, the resort should have the II reservations in their system, too.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
... I'm sorry this happened to you, but I would urge you to continue with your trip. That resort is beautiful, and the units were all renovated after the last storms so the quality should be absolutely top level. Plus, if you rented on RedWeek you'll still receive great value regardless of the view.

Grande Ocean underwent a major refurbishment during 2014-2015, following the typical Marriott schedule of soft goods every five years and hard every ten. Hurricane Matthew last year caused some damage throughout the resort including water intrusion in a few units but nothing that required another total refurb or renovation of all units throughout. Not saying this to worry the OP further, because Marriott's constant maintenance/refurb schedule practically assures that even during the fourth and ninth years there will still be very few if any units that aren't in good shape.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
How sad... An OP with a real problem reached out for legitimate and reasonable help, and received lengthy posts with less than realistic declarations from knowledgeable people, some who clearly didn't even take the time the read the OP's clearly stated dilemma, and made statements that were not germane to this particular resort.

Without writing a book:

Is there a breach of the contract? No. The OP doesn't know yet if they will 'see' the ocean.
If they can't 'see' the ocean, is that a material breach that should direct them to vacate? No. I think a reasonable person would view that less of a breach than say a 1 BR rather than a promised 2 or 3 BR. Numerous pictures should suffice with a threat of action against the 'landlord' to allow the OP to collect reasonable damages after the fact. Probably the difference in cost between an ocean view unit and non-ocean view, with the actual amount the OP paid to rent the unit compared with the market rates, using Redweek as an example.

As some informed posters have noted, this resort has only two designations, Oceanfront, and Oceanside. Many are ocean view, and most occupants don't know if they will see the ocean until they walk up to, and see their unit. Some folks even insist they can't see the ocean from the 'oceanfront' unit they are in because of the trees. Should that person also then seek 'damages'?

More than anything else to the OP, you have spent a lot of money and are ready to head out on a GREAT vacation. Please don't let us get you all wound up to where you can't enjoy it! Should the unit not meet your contractual expectations, document, but please don't let it ruin your valuable time off with family.

Lastly, I do agree the "landlord' appears to be less than forthcoming. Lesson learned to the OP - A ten minute search about the Grande Ocean would have told you the type of views available and that all are floating units. And if you truly required a specific wide open ocean view, only recent PICTURES taken from a FIXED unit should be relied upon.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pathways - please contact me the next time you are looking for a Hawaii rental and I will rent an ocean front timeshare to you, but actually put you in an Floating View unit, because it will be far more profitable for me, and you apparently won't mind.

On the contract I am going to put "water view" (a view category which doesn't exist at my resort) and then I am going to book a "floating view" for you, because it is technically possible, but not likely, that you will get an ocean front unit.

When you ask me about it, I will talk in circles, but I won't send you a confirmation, because that would reveal that the actual view.

But don't worry - you will love it, and it's not a breach of contract!

Last edited:

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pathways - please contact me the next time you are looking for a Hawaii rental and I will rent an ocean front timeshare to you, but actually put you in an Floating View unit, because it will be far more profitable for me, and you apparently won't mind.

On the contract I am going to put "water view" (a view category which doesn't exist at my resort) and then I am going to book a "floating view" for you, because it is technically possible, but not likely, that you will get an ocean front unit.

When you ask me about it, I will talk in circles, but I won't send you a confirmation, because that would reveal that the actual view.

But don't worry - you will love it, and it's not a breach of contract!

You are exactly correct - "it is technically possible, but not likely", by your words it is possible, so this is not a breach unless and until it doesn't happen. And if it DOESN'T happen, then it would be a breach, which if you read my post, is exactly what I said.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for clarifying - even though I'm pretty sure you won't be able to see see the ocean, I'm confident that you will be able to see the huge pond in the middle of the resort, so you will indeed have a water view - enjoy!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk