• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unit I rented does not have promised view [Marriott Grande Ocean]

1700Bax1

Reaction score
Please help! I rented a timeshare through RedWeek- my first time. I prepaid (first mistake). I have a signed contract (and other documentation) guaranteeing that my unit has an "ocean view." I found out 2 days ago it does not. The owner has completely "blown me off." RedWeek says they are not responsible for a dispute between me and the owner. Any suggestions?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How and when did you make the payment?

By "blown you off" do you mean that the owner will not talk to you or what?

Tell us more about the view - did the owner send you a resort confirmation and what does it say? How did you find out it's not "ocean view"?

1700Bax1

Reaction score
His response was, "Oh well, I think the resort changed the name of the view to lagoon or pool. It will still be great. Have fun!"

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When did you make the payment and how did you pay?

What resort?

Do you have an official resort confirmation?

1700Bax1

Reaction score
Payment was made in April. Marriott Grande Ocean. Hilton Head.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you paid in April, why did you only find out 2 days ago that you don't have an ocean view?

Unfortunately, paying by check gives you no recourse.

My guess is that the owner cannot give you the view you want - so if it were me, I would ask for a partial refund of the difference between the two views.

If you want out completely, another option is to pay an attorney $100 to send him a nasty letter threatening him with legal action, but I am guessing that check-in is soon, and you may not be able to get this done that quickly.

1700Bax1

Reaction score
We have copies of cashed check, contact, the ad on RedWeek stating the view advertised, my email correspondence with the owner guaranteeing the ocean view.

1700Bax1

Reaction score
I called the resort. He was supposed to have contacted us/followed up with us and didn't.

1700Bax1

Reaction score
Lesson learned. I have lots of friends that have used RedWeek without problems. I have been so disappointed.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
His response was, "Oh well, I think the resort changed the name of the view to lagoon or pool. It will still be great. Have fun!"
Is this in writing? Do you have the oceanview category in the contract or otherwise in writing? As Denise noted, the more facts you give, as opposed to short snippets, the more we can try to help.

1700Bax1

Reaction score
If you paid in April, why did you only find out 2 days ago that you don't have an ocean view?

Unfortunately, paying by check gives you no recourse.

My guess is that the owner cannot give you the view you want - so if it were me, I would ask for a partial refund of the difference between the two views.

If you want out completely, another option is to pay an attorney $100 to send him a nasty letter threatening him with legal action, but I am guessing that check-in is soon, and you may not be able to get this done that quickly.

Thanks, Denise.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
This doesn't sound like Redweek's fault. The timeshare owner is the one who broke the promise. Does he have a fixed unit at the resort? Try contacting the resort , see if they will put you in an Ocean View. Doesn't hurt to ask. Good Luck!
Silentg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called the resort. He was supposed to have contacted us/followed up with us and didn't.

Unfortunately, you were way too trusting here - you should have insisted on an official confirmation in April, and not waited until July.

I would also tell the owner that if you don't receive the desired compensation in x number of days, you are going to post the whole story, including his name, on Redweek and TUG. Really I would.

*Don't bother calling the resort for help - they don't get involved in owner rentals and they can't put you in a different view. You need to play hard-ball with the owner.

Last edited:

1700Bax1

Reaction score
Is this in writing? Do you have the oceanview category in the contract or otherwise in writing? As Denise noted, the more facts you give, as opposed to short snippets, the more we can try to help.

See below for (1) copy of rental agreement, (2) copy of rental listing on RedWeek, and (3) copy of email from owner in response to my asking him to CLARIFY that this was an ocean view unit.

cid:25E5B0EC-3425-40BD-B6C9-13EC7D178C9D

cid:36CF916E-E7DC-4EB8-93E2-E39BFC189A06

EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE:

On Mar 14, 2017, at 6:10 PM, wrote:

You are renting my specific unit type, it doesn't work the way you would think...NO ONE owns a specific unit number...we each own a unit type...this one is ocean view, but the exact unit isn't determined until that week by Marriott...but you are worrying about nothing...it doesn't matter..but I completely understand the confusion...you will have an ocean view condo, two bedrooms, full furnished kitchen, whirlpool in the master bedroom, etc...etc...etc...just don't know exactly which unit they are going to put you in, and it doesn't really matter anyway because there isn't a "bad one" in the whole complex....in fact, all the units of this type are exactly the same...hope that helps..

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Again - do you have a resort confirmation - what does it say?

1700Bax1

Reaction score
Again - do you have a resort confirmation - what does it say?

The resort says that NONE of their units are ocean view. Units are either ocean front or pool/lagoon view. Certain times of the year (typically in the off season when the trees are bare) you may be able to see the ocean from certain pool/lagoon view rooms, but these are NEVER labeled or advertised as ocean view. Resort staff are very clear about this.

The owner never followed up with me to provide a confirmation #. I contacted the resort 2 days ago to inquire. I was told the unit had been transferred from the owner's name to mine. At this time, the resort also stated that the owner's unit type was pool/lagoon view.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You should have immediately received a confirmation in April.

When is check-in?

1700Bax1

Reaction score
At this point, I know I don't have much recourse/many options. Still, I want to circle back with this owner and let him know that he's not dealing with some frustrated woman that's going to "fuss and fret" and then be done with it. This isn't going to be over after my vacation. Still, I don't want to do something that could potentially "sabotauge" my already tainted vacation.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm sorry, but you waited too long on this, and if you go ahead and use the reservation under the current situation, you seriously weaken your position.

This is just my personal opinion, but I would immediately send the following email & text to the owner:

You deliberately mistated the view on our signed rental agreement, and therefore you have violated the contract and committed fraud.

By midnight tomorrow either:

a) Send me a Paypal refund of $500 to compensate me for the loss of the ocean view.

or

b) Send me a new official resort confirmation with a guaranteed Ocean Front View.

If I do not receive compensation by midnight on July 7th, I am going to post the whole story, including your name, on Redweek and TUG, and contact an attorney.​

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
An owner's most prized possesion is his reputation in the rental industry - don't under estimate the value of this approach.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
An owner's most prized possesion is his reputation in the rental industry - don't under estimate the value of this approach.

Agree 100%. I would be absolutely mortified if I were in the seller's position. I have given at least partial refunds and in a couple of instances, full refunds when the unit was not as advertised, regardless of how it happened. Threw in some Restaurant.com certificates, to boot!