• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unhappy New Owner

salammmbo

Reaction score
We bought two platinum weeks at the Playa Andaluza resort in Spain last September after being rushed into signing the contract by a salesman who, as we soon found out, has a bit of a reputation in Spain. Since then, we have come to the conclusion that the timeshare, which be bought from the developer, constitutes a huge financial burden, and one that seems hardly worth a two-week annual vacation on the Costa del Sol. In fact, we would love to surrender ownership sooner rather than later.
Seeing as people on this forum appear mostly happy with their investment, would you say we are being a little too pessimistic? I really wish to make an informed decision this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought two platinum weeks at the Playa Andaluza resort in Spain last September after being rushed into signing the contract by a salesman who, as we soon found out, has a bit of a reputation in Spain. Since then, we have come to the conclusion that the timeshare, which be bought from the developer, constitutes a huge financial burden, and one that seems hardly worth a two-week annual vacation on the Costa del Sol. In fact, we would love to surrender ownership sooner rather than later.
Seeing as people on this forum appear mostly happy with their investment, would you say we are being a little too pessimistic? I really wish to make an informed decision this time.

As a fellow owner at Playa Andaluza who also purchased from developer before I learned about resales and prices, I can understand some of your concerns but I would say that you probably need to investigate more about how to best use your weeks before you decide to bail out.
First you need to look at what you really want to do with your vacation time. You said you purchased platinum season weeks. I am therefore guessing you are tied to school holidays or are you more flexible about when you go on vacation.

I am not dissolutioned with my ownership, but I have taken the time to lern how to use my weeks.
If you want to use yourweeks to go to other destinations, then you should investigate two optons.
1. The MVCI Destinations Club points system. Since you purchased from the developer (Marriott Vacations Club) you could enrole your two weeks in the DC which would allow you to exchange each week each year for the value of your week in points. The sales person should have explained the DC points option to you when you purchased but it sounds like he did not.
2. Interval Interntional. Since you purchased your weeks from MVCI, you should have an II account set up for you by MVCI with a complimentary membership paid for at least the forst year but possibly 2 years snce you purchaed two weeks.

Both of these options will allow you to look at exchaging your weeks in Playa for weeks or time at other resorts.The MVCI DC option has an enrolement fee and an annual membership fee but this will also give you a free II account in which your weeks are registered. My advice would be to look at the DC enrolement option and thus get the free II account but that will require a further outay of cash.

Did you sign up for the MVCI DC points system when you purchased your weeks?

The DC points system will give you the option to exchange to any of the other 50+ MVCI resorts - availability is of course the issue you would need to take account of. I have enrolled and used the DC points system and am very happy with the process and what we got for our vacation time.

Only once you have exhausted your investigations into how to best use the weeks should you seek to get out.

Getting out will depend on what you owe. Did you use finance to buy the weeks. If so and you still have the debt then you are in for some financial pain. What you could sell the weeks for on the resale market will be much, much less than you paid.

If you have outstanding debt on the purchase that will probably prevent the sale. If you stop paying the finance then you will enter into financial issues and credit will be impacted.

The sale price on trhe resale market will possibly be as little as 25% of what you paid for the weeks so selling might not be a very attractive option. Getting abuyer will be even more of an issue.

My advice would be to try to leverage as much benefit from your purchase as you can and take a long hard look at what the financialimplications are for you and your family. Only then should you make a decision to sell or not to sell. Needless to say you could ask MVCI to buy back the weeks but I would not be so hopeful.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Malcolm has covered just about everything there.
From a timeframe perspective, all I would add is that whatever you do to keep all your options open I would check whether MVC have any deadline by when you would need to enrol your developer purchased weeks in the MVCI Destinations Club points system (e.g. within 12 months of purchase?)

answeeney

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too sympathise with your predicament. Unfortunately, it is not an uncommon scenario. However, I would say that, once I had psychologically written off the sunk cost of purchasing my own weeks, they have gone on to give me great pleasure over the years albeit, not just at financial expense, but at the cost of some serious and often time consuming advance planning.

MALC has given an excellent summary of the main points. If financial considerations are not your overriding concern then I would definitely second his advice to look at DC Club and II as a way of maximizing your usage. However, I would also recommend that, if you can, you revisit your resort soon. You might find that your regrets begin to recede a little if reminded of why you bought in the first place.

salammmbo

Reaction score
Thank you very much, MALC and others. Yes, I'm still paying off the monthly instalments, and shall presumably continue to do so for the next five years. The maintenance fees do not bother me so much: it's the monthly ones that do, as they constitute almost 25% of my income.

I suppose I'll have to grin and bear it, and learn to get the most of the timeshare, as you advise.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
25% ? Ouch! :ponder: sorry your in this boat

What is it about expensive developer timeshare sales presentations that get people to purchase without doing any research before hand? There needs to be longer rescind periods to people have time to realize what they've done imo.

.....The maintenance fees do not bother me so much: it's the monthly ones that do, as they constitute almost 25% of my income.

I suppose I'll have to grin and bear it, and learn to get the most of the timeshare, as you advise.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
The maintenance fees do not bother me so much: it's the monthly ones that do, as they constitute almost 25% of my income.

Going through the bankruptcy process might work for you, but you'll need to talk to a good bankruptcy lawyer to find out. The answer will depend on your other assets and liabilities, and possibly also the US state you live in especially if you own your home rather than rent.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
[Deleted; response to edited post above.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Yes, I'm still paying off the monthly instalments, and shall presumably continue to do so for the next five years. The maintenance fees do not bother me so much: it's the monthly ones that do, as they constitute almost 25% of my income.

Its generally the opinion of most TUGgers that financing such a purchase is not the best financial approach, but in your case, what's done is done. Looking forward, do you have a way to re-finance the purchase over a longer period of time, and likely at a more favorable interest rate? If you own a home with a decent amount of equity, can you re-finance your home and take out enough cash to pay off the TS loan, in essence rolling the costs into your home mortgage, thus freeing you from the majority of the massive (25% of your income) monthly burden? Just tossing out ideas. It sounds to me that if you could reduce the monthly stress, you likely could find some happiness in your ownership.

Good luck!!

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
Thank you very much, MALC and others. Yes, I'm still paying off the monthly instalments, and shall presumably continue to do so for the next five years. The maintenance fees do not bother me so much: it's the monthly ones that do, as they constitute almost 25% of my income.

Understanding/learning the options to use and enjoy your week is sound advice. This being said, now that you shared it is almost 25% of your income, I think you need to focus on how to best get the finances in order. Do not beat yourself over the head for the position you put yourself in. It is counter productive.

While it might be 25% of your income, given you are not concerned about the maintenance fees (MF) and thinking about vacations, my guess (and hope) it is really the discretionary part of your income. No matter the answer, you need to try to get the payments as low as possible to pay if off as soon as possible.

If I had to guess, I would say your interest rate is way above prevailing rates so my first suggestion is to see if you can borrow from family or really good friends to get the payments lower or to pay it off sooner. With banks paying so little interest, this might be a win/win. Back to family, see if they could help you by offsetting some/all of the interest payments. Maybe they can use the week for this.

Since the MF is not an issue, see what you can rent the unit for. It might provide you some multiple of you MF that you can use to pay off the loan sooner. Example MF is a $1 and you can rent it for 1.70. Pay the full 1.7 towards the loan.

Good luck...

Last edited:

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score

To the original poster: Most of us who bought directly from Marriott have had moments of regret for having made such a major purchase under pressure. But most of us find that we get value for our purchase -- even if we might do things differently if we had the chance to do it over.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP -- if you decide that you are willing to 'forfeit' any monies paid thus far into this 'mistake' -- I am fairly certain that Marriott will do a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure. I say this from personal experience.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
To the OP -- if you decide that you are willing to 'forfeit' any monies paid thus far into this 'mistake' -- I am fairly certain that Marriott will do a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure. I say this from personal experience.

Ditto to the deed in lieu of. Also consider bankruptcy. Might be a better option than financial ruin. Do the numbers. That's the amount you are supposed to allocate to YOUR mortgage not a vacation.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on the cost, I would contact Marriott and see what they would do to help get rid of it. There is no reason to give up 25% of your income for the next 5 years to give you 2 weeks of vacation. Consider whatever you've already paid gone, but remind yourself of the 5 years of $ you are saving by getting out now.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you a US citizen, Spanish? , or a citizen of another country?

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the advice here is also dependent upon your personal circumstances.

I made an assumption that since our initial post indicated English was your first language - there are subtle ways to tell - then your were probably British and UK based. So advice concerning bankruptcy from US based members might not be appropriate in a UK financial environment.

MVCI in Europe typically do not hold the debt when they sell a week on credit - typically the buyer's loan will have been financed by a credit provider in their own country. This takes the debt away from MVCI's books and places the buyer in the hands of a credit provider such as a bank in his/her own country. Thus if the borrower defaults on the loan payments then the default process will be in the jurisdiction of his own country and so to be avoided at all costs as it will impact directly on credit worthiness.

If the OP is not UK based but are US based then different advice might be appropriate.

However if you are in the UK, are single with no immediate other financial encumbrances such as a mortgage on your home, seeking advice on how to set up a financial arrangement with the loan provider might be worth looking into. In the UK you can get free advice from: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en

This is a government provided service and so is free.

salammmbo

Reaction score
Hello again, and thank for all the precious advice. I am, as some of you rightly guessed, based in Europe - Luxembourg to be precise - so I suppose I will eventually have to swallow my pride and talk to my local financial adviser. Re-financing the purchase over a longer period of time would be an immense relief, as I would then not have to resort to any more desperate measures involving the home mortgage etc. I have also now spoken to the Owner Service in Ireland, and it appears that a rather vital email they had sent me as early as in November got gobbled up by my SPAM filter so that I've only just found out that there is actually such a person as a New Owner Resources Advisor. They have also admitted that I am not the first (admittedly gullible) creature to be taken in by that same pushy salesman, who had us believe that unless we committed there and then, we would miss out on all sorts of benefits. We really have wished up a little since.

I'll keep you posted on how things develop.

Kindest regards...