• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tuggers Can And Should Consider Direct Timeshare Exchanges With Each Other

heicomp

TUG Member
Reaction score
exchanging!

hey i just edit my posting per advice on this page, i have a mutiple destination time share with allegro resorts and tried to trade for several years, with no luck. what am i doing wrong.:wall: :wall:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
For the best results:

1. Figure out which resorts available to you have the most demand.
2. Figure out which weeks have the most demand (usually school holidays.)
3. Reserve those popular weeks as early as possible.
4. Be open to a wide variety of exchanges - if you are only looking for the top resorts during prime time, you may have trouble finding an exchange.

*I just looked it up, and it looks like Allegro Resorts are an all-inclusive group in Mexico? Unfortunately, that's two strikes against you. Many people avoid all-inclusive resorts because the fees are excessive, and right now travel to Mexico is down because of the economy and fears of violence.

You may have more luck with an exchange company, since you don't have to wait until someone picks up your week, to make your own exchange.

Last edited:

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise is right, try to exchange. I use Trading Places, and they do take Allegro Resorts.

dmorea

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchange Wish

I love the TUG exchange ads... heres my dream for enhancement

TUG WISH exchange would be a great addition ... working just like the rent wish ads....and showing up right on the listing for the resort!

Thats my wish!

laurieb126

Reaction score
I'm curious. How does this work without using an exchange company? Excuse me if this is obvious. We are new to TS and haven't yet done an exchange. We are with RCI but I have read so many negative things about RCI, I am scared to deposit for fear that I won't get my exchange.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
TUG exchanges are private exchanges between two timeshare owners - TUG just provides the space for you to post your Ad. You post what you have to trade, or what you'd like to trade into, and another owner sees your Ad and contacts you, or you contact someone about their Ad. You email, you may talk on the phone, you come to an agreement. At that point you may simply put each other's names on your confirmations and swap, or you may do formal, notarized contracts. It all depends on what you and the other party agree on.

fluffy5

Reaction score
Can I exchange on TUG if...?

I have deposited my 2011 MVCI week with II? I'm obviously a newer TUG member. Please advise.

Thanks,
Fluffy5

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi and welcome to TUG! :hi:

Once you deposit your week with II, it is no longer yours - it belongs to the exchange company. II does not allow you to rent or trade exchanges. To trade it, you need to put in a request with II - you can also search their website inventory for interesting trades, but requests are filled before any deposits go in the online inventory, so for the best results, you want to have a request in place, as well.

To do a private exchange, you use your owned week at your home resort, and trade that directly with another owner. No exchange company is involved.

If that doesn't answer your question, please let me know!

Last edited:

jimmyjoe1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshare exchanges

Help me understand the exhange process a little more. Why would someone who owns Westin St. John and would like to go to Westin Harborside not make that request thru the Star Options program? Instead, I have seen this trade request on TUG and I am not sure why.
Clueless in Cicago

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Help me understand the exhange process a little more. Why would someone who owns Westin St. John and would like to go to Westin Harborside not make that request thru the Star Options program? Instead, I have seen this trade request on TUG and I am not sure why.
Clueless in Cicago

Posting an exchange request on TUG does not obligate you to do anything with your week. only if you find a direct exchange match do you decide to exchange it with the other TUGGER who has what you are looking for.

You can still choose to participate in any other exchange system you wish if you like (just make sure you remove your ad from TUG if you deposit your week somewhere and it is no longer available to exchange to a tugger)

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
How would this hypothetical situation work?

I own a week in mid-March. I exchange it with a fellow Tugger for his/her week in September. It is now May and the fellow Tugger has used the week I own. I now realize that I can't use that week in September.

What can I do? Try to rent it out? Try to exchange it?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That would be between you and the owner - you would not be able to rent it without their cooperation. You wouldn't be able to exchange it with an exchange company, because you can only exchange TS's that you own.

One time I had a similar situation and the owner was kind enough to let me reschedule, but that isn't always possible, and shouldn't be expected going into the trade.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, Denise.

Another hypothetical situation. I post my low-trading-power unit for exchange and am hoping for a more "valuable" unit in return but realize that not many would be willing to "trade down". Would it be against TUG rules to offer a little cash in addition to my unit for that other unit?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It wouldn't be against TUG rules - TUG doesn't get involved in the negotiations - that's all handled privately between owners.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What about a direct exchange wanted

Is it possible to add another section to theMarketplace? I would like to see a direct exchange wanted where we could list our request in the title and what we have to exchange in the body of the ad. That way if someone wants to do a direct exchange, they can look at the ads for the resorts they own and see if there are any exchanges of interest to them.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Marketplace has a direct exchange section already - it's labeled Exchange Ads. You can browse by region, or use the search function to search for your resort or the names of the resorts you are interested in.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
The Marketplace has a direct exchange section already - it's labeled Exchange Ads. You can browse by region, or use the search function to search for your resort or the names of the resorts you are interested in.
Denise,

Could you kindly walk us through an example of how to do the search using a specific example? Running quickly through the current ads, there is at least one listing "Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes" as a desired destination. Please post the script showing how we can find all direct exchanges seeking this resort.

Thank you!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sure:

Go to the Timeshare Marketplace

Click - Search Classified Ads

Under resort name, either type in your resort, or the resort you want - the name must be correct and spelled correctly to be recognized. Or - you can search by resort area and group - for instance Hawaii/Kauai.

For Type of Listing - Check Exchange

At the bottom, click - Browse Filtered Classified Ads

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you post your ad up for direct exchange, the marketplace system automatically notifies you via email if someone posts another exchange that is either looking for what you have available, or has what you are looking for.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you post your ad up for direct exchange, the marketplace system automatically notifies you via email if someone posts another exchange that is either looking for what you have available, or has what you are looking for.

Thanks Brian I did not know that

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Sure:

Go to the Timeshare Marketplace

Click - Search Classified Ads

Under resort name, either type in your resort, or the resort you want - the name must be correct and spelled correctly to be recognized. Or - you can search by resort area and group - for instance Hawaii/Kauai.

For Type of Listing - Check Exchange

At the bottom, click - Browse Filtered Classified Ads
Thanks -- I tried it, but failed. Error returned:
no ads found please try your search using different criteria or verify the resort name
Following the instructions posted, I entered "Grande Dunes" in the Resort name field. I tried it again using the full and complete resort name of "Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes" - but still received the "no ads found" error. The ad I was hoping to turn up is <here>.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To search for that Ad, you would need to use Disney Animal Kingdom Villas as the resort.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To search for that Ad, you would need to use Disney Animal Kingdom Villas as the resort.
Gotcha :( Is there a script meeting the requests of posts #66 and #68?

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
rhonda,

At the top of this page you will see a horizontal red bar. Within the righthand side you will see Marketplace. Left Click on Marketplace.

When the Marketplace opens up go to the top left of the screen and you will see in brown the words Search Classified Ads. Left Click on the Search Classified Ads (The link will turn red as you click it.)

Once that searchable page comes open go to Search Classified Ads and where you see Resorts & Location type into the box to the right of Resort Name: Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes. (Quote marks are not needed.)

Then go down to Type of Listing and Left Click the box For Exchange.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and Left Click on the grey button where it says: Browse Filtered Classified Ads.

You should currently see: no ads found please try your search using different criteria or verify the resort name

That result is shown because their are currently no Exchange ads within the Marketplace for Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes.

Now go through the same procedure; but DO NOT Left Click on Exchange. Instead go directly to Browse Filtered Classified Ads and Left Click.

You should see roughly 24 Rental or For Sale Ads for Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes.

The Searchable Marketplace will only show what is available given the criteria that you select or do not select.

You can do a similar Exchange only search using your particular week. At some point someone may post they want your particular week and when that happens a match should show up.

But, unitil there is a match you will continue to see no ads found please try your search using different criteria or verify the resort name.

Keep checking back from time to time and you may find what you are looking for.