• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trying to understand renting out a reservation

Ben Breier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - NYC Residences
HGVC - Carlsbad, Marbrisa
I currently have a HGVC reservation for a 3bd unit in Utah (not our home resort) in March and due to a medical situation that has come up, I will be unable to use the reservation. We booked the reservation using bonus points so I know that we cannot change the dates, and I believe, that if we simply cancel we will loose the points, a situation I am trying to avoid.
What I am trying to understand is the actual mechanics of renting the unit out. Do I need to go to Utah and check the renters in? Or is there some other method that I need to follow to make sure that they can check in and check out. Am I on the hook if something happens to the renters or the unit during the stay?

Thanks for the help.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
welcome to TUG!

would suggest starting here with our how to rent article, itll answer a ton of your initial questions!

http://rent.tug2.net

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
HGVC says you can only rent-out a home-week booking, but you may allow "guests" with whom you are personally acquainted use of other bookings (not open season). Some would say this allows you to receive compensation from new-found "friends."

Whomever you allow use of your booking needs a "GC" (Guest Certificate) to check-in.
HGVC will issue one online or by phone (for a fee).

I suggest that you read the Rules thoroughly, front to back, 4-5 times.
http://www.hgvclubprogram.com/content/2017-HGV-Club-Reference.pdf

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I have some of those friends? Some of mine are into freeloading big time...

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
It might be worth a call to say that you've had a medical emergency, and that you're hoping they'll help you out.

Last year, I had an open season stay in Orlando, which I couldn't do because of a massive winter storm. They let me off the hook, even though I was outside the cancellation window. It never hurts to call, plead and ask.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
You just need a different way to find the "friends" that you make reservations for...

Cheers.
Sure, I guess that is the key. Find friends with cash to help you with your MFs...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered, would it be less suspicious if you rent to a "friend" during the same week you are at the resort? I am guessing yes.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered, would it be less suspicious if you rent to a "friend" during the same week you are at the resort? I am guessing yes.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've always wondered, would it be less suspicious if you rent to a "friend" during the same week you are at the resort?

It'd look more like a group-vacation, and you could check up them to make sure they're behaving.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
You should be able to cancel. You'll just lose your reservation fee.
However cancel your reservation at least 31 days or more prior to check-in otherwise you'll run into HGVC's cancellation policy where you can lose 25%, 50% or 100% when it's within 30 days.

Here's what I was told in 2015 when I emailed HGVC about the use of Bonus Points for HGVC resort reservations.

You do not have to travel before your bonus points expire, just be sure to book something with them before they expire. During the Club Reservation window, you can book up to 9 months in advance with them with the exception of West 57th Street which is 44 days from check out and Hokulani which is 6 months from check out.

If you have to cancel your reservation before they expire, your bonus points will be returned. If you make a last minute cancellation after your bonus points have expired, you will have the opportunity to extend them for 3 months for a $99 fee. You will have up to 6 months past the expiration date of your bonus points to extend them and the 3 months would start from whatever day you pay the $99.

Last edited:

Ben Breier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - NYC Residences
HGVC - Carlsbad, Marbrisa
Thank you everyone for replies. We do have some "friends" that are interested, but have not 100% confirmed and given us any type of deposit. I'll look into both the Guest Certificate and the cancellation more thoroughly.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
It'd look more like a group-vacation, and you could check up them to make sure they're behaving.
True. Have to check those new friends are behaving.