• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trouble exchanging into Maui

wegottago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a request in to trade a two bedroom Aruba Surf for several of the better resorts in Maui for a specific week in early August 2017 because the second week we already have an exchange in Kuaui. Nothing, not any resort, is coming up for Maui!! We are getting anxious because it's only five months away and don't have airfare yet. Why is nothing available? Any suggestions what we should do?? Thanks!!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is peak school holiday season - that's why. Plan B would be rent from an owner... Plan C would be rent directly from the resort/hotel chain.

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take Plan B .... travel savings. Its "too late" to trade.

Happy Travels, gvic

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend having a hotel reservation that can be cancelled because I think it is likely that the trade will come through but not until the 60 day window. I had a somewhat similar situation where a friend asked me to see if i could get a Maui week for Feb so I put in a request first trade using a Marriott summer Harbour Pointe week which probably has similar trading power to what I assume is your gold week Surf Club unit. I had to wait until the 60 day mark but the trade did come through and my friend had a great time.

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend having a hotel reservation that can be cancelled because I think it is likely that the trade will come through but not until the 60 day window. I had a somewhat similar situation where a friend asked me to see if i could get a Maui week for Feb so I put in a request first trade using a Marriott summer Harbour Pointe week which probably has similar trading power to what I assume is your gold week Surf Club unit. I had to wait until the 60 day mark but the trade did come through and my friend had a great time.

We had a request in for a Maui 2 BR for 18 months or so to connect to a Kahana Falls week we already had for this past Feb. Request never came through and we had to take our cancellable rental instead. Definitely make a reservation!!

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a request in for a Maui 2 BR for 18 months or so to connect to a Kahana Falls week we already had for this past Feb. Request never came through and we had to take our cancellable rental instead. Definitely make a reservation!!
I agree about having a hotel reservation. I'm not sure what you offered for trade but you were looking for a very high demand period so it is much different than OP who is offering a very high demand Marriott and not going at super high demand time.

I'd be surprised if they don't get the trade at some point whereas your chances were much less because of the super high demand time of year you were looking for and the assumption that you weren't trading a Marriott 2 Surf Club or something of similar trading power.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Different exchange company, but Maui exchanges have dried up at RCI. (But many Extra Vacations at high prices.)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You need to check TUG ads. There are some of us who have advertised weeks there. Just sayin'.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I would say Plan A would be to make a hotel reservation, especially if you have loyalty points that you can use. This assumes that your party is small enough to use a hotel room. The problem with renting from an owner is that this option prevents you from waiting for a trade to come through, which it will likely do in the last 60 days. A nice hotel is not exactly slumming it. We are considering a trip to Hawaii late this year and we will probably just use hotels because they are easy to book without as much notice.

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
And we had a request in for 18 months... Just came through this week. S
Might be too late...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

wegottago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your responses however, I hesitate on another plan because the whole idea is to trade our unit that we pay maintenance fees on and not use our hotel points up or pay cash for a hotel or rent from another owner. Will have to think about it though. Then we're concerned if it does trade what will airfare look like perhaps 60 days out. Right now from the East Coast it's very expensive!

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A year ago...that's the soonest I could reserve my week....at a resort I own. The first day I was on hold for over an hour gave up. Waited for 2days. I finally got in and there were no 2 bedrooms available so I paid extra and was upgraded to a 3 bedroom. I needed April 1st check in bcz of the grandsons school calendar. This was at the sands of kahana it's a large resort. Supply and demand....the timeshare rules change. Good luck.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
At this point, you are waiting for some other timeshare owner or exchanger to cancel. It is rare for someone to plan to cancel. Life happens and a small percentage of trips are impacted.
I looked at RCI data I used to capture. Most of what showed up for Maui was 3 weeks or less but more than 10 days. We've succeeded twice in buying airfare months before picking up a late exchange; we've never been stuck with a hotel rental, but there is that chance.
If you decide to wait for an exchange, don't get nervous until 10 days out. Good luck.
Jack

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You may also consider adding more resorts ( I currently see Maui Banyan, sands of kahana and Kahana villas all in aug) I assume in interval and do the Eplus exchange so you can exchange up if something better comes along.