• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trip to New England states in the fall

minniel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me a good central location for a fall trip to see that area. We were thinking maybe Vermont but any suggestions would be helpful.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Too general a question...

Can anyone tell me a good central location for a fall trip to see that area. We were thinking maybe Vermont but any suggestions would be helpful.

I assume you know that New England actually consists of five separate and distinct states (six if you count Connecticut --- which I don't; Connecticut is much more "New York" than "New England", in my personal opinion. :rolleyes: )

If you could be much more specific about your goals, objectives and family makeup and interests, as well as how much time you have (and when; "fall" is quite broad) it would be easier to give you specific, informed feedback. Without better understanding the exact nature of your question, it's tough to offer a particularly good answer. You could pick a "geographically central" location right from a map, but "geographically central" alone might not at all fit or fulfill your personal interests or priorities..:shrug:

Last edited:

vvvaughan

Reaction score
If this is a first time visit to the area, my advice would be to travel around spending time in several places. We flew into Boston, drove up into Maine, traveled west into New Hampshire and then finally into Vermont and back to Boston. We thoroughly enjoyed making this loop and not being stuck to one locale. There are so many unexpected twists and turns if you have the freedom to meander and not be tied too long to one place.

Vermont is good but is not really central to New England. However, if you are considering upstate New York in your plans then you are pretty close. I consider the Mt. Washington Valley area (Jackson/Conway) of New Hampshire as central as you can get for New England proper if there is such. From that area, you approximately three hours from Boston to the southeast, Camden Maine to the east, Canadian Border to the north and Lake Champlain (VT and NY border) to the west.

This area is awsome in itself including the Kancamagus Highway, one of the most scenic drives in New England for fall foliage. There are some excellent historic inns and B&B's in the area. If you enjoy tax free shopping, Conway is known for that. Mt. Washington is the highest point east of the Mississippi if you like mountain drives.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to stick in my 2 cents about shopping. NH has no sales tax on most, if not all goods. MA has no sales tax on clothing and a 5% sales tax on other goods.

I agree, if you want to see much of New England, you need to spend your vacation in different areas. We have beaches and rocky coasts, mountains, and larger mountains. Beautiful forests, bustling cities, etc. Gorgeous state and national parks. It's all what about what you want to see and do.

Sue

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
accidental duplicate post deleted here; actual response is below...

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Re: your PM; I have sent a detailed PM with my $0.02 worth in reply.

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
How much time can you spend?

Two or three weeks you could see a lot. The Maine Coast is wonderful. Fall foliage season can be spectacular all over the area.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Think of mountain ranges. Adirondacks, Berkshires/Western MA where there are spectacular valleys and mountains so the fall colors pop out. Kennebunk and Portland Maine are worth a stop. Little walking towns by the sea.

Kittery and Freeport ME are areas along the Maine coast with factory outlets.rocky shorelines and great seafood.

Mt Washington/White Mountain areas of NH around North Conway Rt 16 and Rt 12 Kangamangus Hwy are very pretty with gushing river rocks and mountains. In Conway there is an area with factory outlets.

Not familiar with CT or VT areas as much but Rt 7 or 100 in Vermont should be pretty. The areas are more spread out than our other states.

Besides the fall colors it is apple and pumpkin picking season so there are clusters of these farms in certain areas that often sell cider and apple pies. I would also look into this.

One trip north there was a great place in Vermont in Bennington. http://www.theapplebarn.com

AAA, Yankee Magazine and The Boston Globe travel site online would provide you with options. Look up Foliage.

Colors start to change North so it would peak in Maine then head south. It also depends on rainfall and temps so you'll need to watch this to time it right.

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/issues/2007-09/travel/foliage

http://www.yankeefoliage.com

Last edited: