• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Traveling with tennis racquets from Mexico

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken tennis racquets through security lately? Last year, when returning from Mexico, the security agent made my husband return to check in to check his tennis bag. He said that he could not take the racquets on board. We had no problems going to Mexico. We are going back to Mexico soon and just checked with Delta about this. The agent could not find anything prohibiting racquets. She gave us the number for TSA but they are closed for the weekend/holiday. I don't know if it is a Mexico thing, or just an overly enthusiastic security person.

Last edited:

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken tennis racquets through security lately? Last year, when returning from Mexico, the security agent made my husband return to check in to check his tennis bag. He said that he could not take the racquets on board. We had no problems going to Mexico. We are going back to Mexico soon and just checked with Delta about this. The agent could not find anything prohibiting racquets. She gave us the number for TSA but they are closed for the weekend/holiday. I don't know if it is a Mexico thing, or just an overly enthusiastic security person.
We take out tennis racquets with us quite often and TSA has never given us any problems, or asked any questions. We will be flying again tomorrow and we'll be carrying our racquets with us, and I don't expect any problems. Maybe it is just a rule in Mexico.

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
My two older sons are members of tennis team and always travel with MANY tennis racquets. Never had any problem to pass security point at airports in US mainland.
Maybe Mexico is a little different.

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
We flew today with 4 tennis racquets and we had no problems at all going through security. Not a single question asked.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I guess we will not have any problems going to Mexico. Has anyone flown back from Mexico with tennis racquets?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they fit inside a bag that's under 44" cumulative, and aren't liquid, and you have no more than 2 items per person to carry on, you're good to go.

Some airlines have different size restrictions, but Delta's is 44"

Jim

rtf2017

TUG Member
Reaction score
strings wil pop

that's the problem if u check them, I did!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I carry my tennis racquet with my online baggage all the time. No problems because it fits under the seat, if necessary.

sstug

TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what the TSA rules are since Mexico has their own rules that do not always agree with the TSA. For example, I have lost several small cuticle scissors coming home from Mexico by forgetting to put them in my checked bag. Mexico does not allow knitting needles or any sharp objects (scissors/knives) of any size in a carry on, while the TSA does. If they stopped you once that may indicate a rule (maybe they are viewed as a possible weapon?). Best bet is to look on the Mexican version of the TSA website (if I find it I will post a link). Also, rules tend to be followed or interpreted inconsistently in Mexico from what I have seen. So until you find someone who has tried to carry on racquets like yourself you will only get guesses from the rest of us (and logic does not always apply to airport security rules).

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many Moons ago post 9/11 in three stages of security in Guadalajara each one requiring additional items to be checked. (The final one gate checked to an envelope with a claim check)

1. All Battery Powered Items

2. Network and power cables for the laptop

3. Blank CD Media

It was the first weekend that flights were reopened, just illustrating an inconsistency between Mexican Airline, Airport and at the time Army personnel in consistently applying a policy

sstug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, the information certainly is well hidden. But I managed to find something useful on the Aeromexico website.

http://www.aeromexico.com/us/Travel...e/RegulationsAndPolicies/restrictedItems.html

at the bottom of the page click in the "see the whole list" link and it opens a pdf file.

while tennis racquets are not specified, it does state under restricted items - "Billiard cue sticks, golf, hockey and cricket stick, skis and similar sports items, mittens and bats."

so this is easily interpreted as no tennis raquets allowed in carry on bags.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, the information certainly is well hidden. But I managed to find something useful on the Aeromexico website.

http://www.aeromexico.com/us/Travel...e/RegulationsAndPolicies/restrictedItems.html

at the bottom of the page click in the "see the whole list" link and it opens a pdf file.

while tennis racquets are not specified, it does state under restricted items - "Billiard cue sticks, golf, hockey and cricket stick, skis and similar sports items, mittens and bats."

so this is easily interpreted as no tennis raquets allowed in carry on bags.
Thank you - that list is very helpful.