• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transfering SP to Marriott Rewards

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
Has anyone connected their SPG and Marriott accounts and transferred? Is it a good value?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Yes, I've transferred and the consensus seems to be that the 1:3 SPG-to-MR conversion ratio is pretty fair. In fact, there are some real deals to be had at the upper tiers since MR redemptions top out at fewer points than 3x the SPG Cat 7 redemptions. There are also some good travel package redemptions with United through MR.

To be honest, I think that SPG elites got the better end of the deal. Lowly SPG Gold converts to the much more prestigious MR Gold, for example. I'm personally very happy with the integrated programs, for now. We'll see what the replacement program looks like in 2018.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Value is what you make of it. We've booked two Marriott hotels for an upcoming trip that gave us some more/better options than SPG properties, and they "cost" similar points.

We're toying with staying at the RC in Dana Point, now that there is no StR there any more. Again, about the same number of points.

blondietink

Reaction score
We are very happy with our automatic Gold status with Marriott and the selection of hotels they have in the cities we have visited since the merge. Where there is either no Sheraton or only one Sheraton to choose from, there have been many/better in the Marriott group to stay in those locations. Looking ahead, we are very happy.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lowly SPG Gold converts to the much more prestigious MR Gold, for example. I'm personally very happy with the integrated programs, for now. We'll see what the replacement program looks like in 2018.

I think this was is true. I wonder what the MR gold really means now it has been diluted by adding so many more people.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Value is what you make of it. We've booked two Marriott hotels for an upcoming trip that gave us some more/better options than SPG properties, and they "cost" similar points.

We're toying with staying at the RC in Dana Point, now that there is no StR there any more. Again, about the same number of points.

Very true. I recently took advantage of a couple resies where Marriott properties where more convenient than Starwood, and at a points bargain...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I did transfer SPs to MPs, but will will be transferring back to SPG.
I brought this up in the Chase Sapphire thread, but in my limited experience...

I like that we now have more access to Marriott hotels - however the cost for a 'comparable' hotel does not favor SPG (IMO YMMV) - and fail to see benefit of Marriott Gold over SPG Gold. Last weekend, the Gold benefit was 2 free bottles of water (woohoo!). If you want to see a big increase in availability, the Chase UR Portal opens up many more hotels that include Marriott, Starwood, Hyatt, Hilton, etc.

For our NorCal visit (Santa Rosa, CA) - no SW hotels, 2 Marriott hotels - but ~20 hotels using the UR portal.

The Marriott Courtyard cost (per nite) was ~12000 UR points, vs. $175 cash, vs. 35000 MP (12000 SP) - easy decision which to use (hint: UR Portal).

For our next visit to SR - using UR points to stay at boutique hotel - even less UR/nite.
IMO YMMV

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
if I remember correctly, here is an example that works the SPG to Marriott conversion way.

Need a room for one night in Paris in late March, two adults and two kids. This is after a week long stay at the Marriott's Village d'lle-de-France in a 3 BR villa. Options with SPG would require a lot of SPG points (~30,000 x 2 because I need two rooms = 60,000). Alternatively, convert 15,000 SPG to 45,000 MR and pay about $140 to upgrade to a 2 Queen Beds Room at Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel. I know it's not comparing apples to apples but it will do for one night before the pond crossing in F in the Queen of Skies - aka 747-400 (hopefully my kids remember all the fun they had when they are considering sending me to the old folks home...).

To be fair, the UR points would be close to even to my approach above. But this resie predated my UR collecting days. For the last two months I am all UR points with a mix of Membership Rewards points along other point currencies...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Next year, I plan to take Robin to NYC - I plan to use SPs or convert to MR, and use AA miles (converted SPs) for BizClass.
But, for local travel, this n=2 is all I have for recent (post merge, post-CSR 100K) experience. SPG hotels in NorCal had huge devaluations.
35000 MR or 12000 UR - that is quite a difference for standard usage (at least mine).

As to SPG Gold - in EU, had great upgrades (years back), and at Napa up until last year. Now, I won't likely spend 24K per nite. I have no experience as Marriott Gold - except water offer... but would like to hear some before declaring Marriott Gold > SPG Gold

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
As to SPG Gold - in EU, had great upgrades (years back), and at Napa up until last year. Now, I won't likely spend 24K per nite. I have no experience as Marriott Gold - except water offer... but would like to hear some before declaring Marriott Gold > SPG Gold

doesn't MR Gold get lounge access/breakfast on the MAR side? you have to be SPG Plat to get the same on the SPG side, so that's one-up...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
doesn't MR Gold get lounge access/breakfast on the MAR side? you have to be SPG Plat to get the same on the SPG side, so that's one-up...

Marriott Rewards
IMG_2249.PNG

I just do not know how it pertains to us, and our hotel stays. Maybe it will. I do like more diversity, but prefer more high-end hotels (for most part).

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does if there is a lounge, but most properties don't have one.

Last edited:

zinger1457

Reaction score
There are definitely good deals to be had by converting, especially in the smaller markets. I converted 10K SP to MR and got 4 nights at a TownePlace Suites in Las Cruces NM.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It does if there is a longe, but most properties don't have one.
If there isn't a lounge though, you get breakfast for two for each day of your stay.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
If there isn't a lounge though, you get breakfast for two for each day of your stay.

Didn't know that. I guess it is not that bad then. But, are you talking about any MR property or only properties with restaurants. For instance, what do you get at a Courtyard Marriott that does not have a restaurant? Do they give you a breakfast voucher? I have received those at say Four Points and have liked them a lot. This is a property specific comment, YMMV...

I went for MR Plat (via spending) for the upgrades (pre merger/SPG Plat to MR Plat) and I was disappointed in comparison to SPG.

As a side note, Hilton Diamond is in general bad when you stay in the smaller properties. Currently, I am staying at a Hampton (because DD soccer team picked it for a tournament) and I got to park in one of the two parking spots reserved for Diamonds. And let's not forget, the HH Diamond perk at this property is 250 HH Pesos. Breakfast is included for everybody and it is terrible.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Didn't know that. I guess it is not that bad then. But, are you talking about any MR property or only properties with restaurants. For instance, what do you get at a Courtyard Marriott that does not have a restaurant? Do they give you a breakfast voucher? I have received those at say Four Points and have liked them a lot. This is a property specific comment, YMMV...

I went for MR Plat (via spending) for the upgrades (pre merger/SPG Plat to MR Plat) and I was disappointed in comparison to SPG.

As a side note, Hilton Diamond is in general bad when you stay in the smaller properties. Currently, I am staying at a Hampton (because DD soccer team picked it for a tournament) and I got to park in one of the two parking spots reserved for Diamonds. And let's not forget, the HH Diamond perk at this property is 250 HH Pesos. Breakfast is included for everybody and it is terrible.
The benefit only applies to full service properties; ie Marriott, Renaissance, JW properties. So you wouldn't get breakfast at Courtyard. Other properties like Fairfield Inn include free breakfast already. The benefit also doesn't apply to properties that are designated as Resorts.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
The benefit only applies to full service properties; ie Marriott, Renaissance, JW properties. So you wouldn't get breakfast at Courtyard. Other properties like Fairfield Inn include free breakfast already. The benefit also doesn't apply to properties that are designated as Resorts.
OK. The benefit not applying to resorts was a surprise to me. I just learned that at the Marriott Frenchman Cove in STT...

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
On the other hand, getting breakfast/lounge access at Ritz Carlton can be worth $100 or more. For instance, at the Ritz in Half Moon Bay, the lounge had an unbelievably extensive breakfast plus food offerings all afternoon and evening, as well as a top-shelf selection of beer, wine, and cocktails in the evening. If you wanted to eat all 3 meals in the lounge, you could. It got a bit tiring after the first couple of days due to the day-to-day similarity of the menu, but it was extremely convenient.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don’t expect breakfast at Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, etc., or at any resorts. Ritz-Carlton does not provide lounge access for Gold ann Platinum Marriott Rewards unless this has recently changed.

Courtyard also typically does not have breakfast for any elite levels in the United States. I believe outside of the U.S. this may not be the case.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
OK. The benefit not applying to resorts was a surprise to me. I just learned that at the Marriott Frenchman Cove in STT...
No breakfast or other benefits at MVCI properties, other than a Platinum welcome gift.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, getting breakfast/lounge access at Ritz Carlton can be worth $100 or more. For instance, at the Ritz in Half Moon Bay, the lounge had an unbelievably extensive breakfast plus food offerings all afternoon and evening, as well as a top-shelf selection of beer, wine, and cocktails in the evening. If you wanted to eat all 3 meals in the lounge, you could. It got a bit tiring after the first couple of days due to the day-to-day similarity of the menu, but it was extremely convenient.
You get this extensive food and drinks offering at JW Marriotts lounge access across Asia too.

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
Looks like this gives us more flexibility that enhances our ability to visit a location. Seems like an improvement overall.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don’t expect breakfast at Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, etc., or at any resorts. Ritz-Carlton does not provide lounge access for Gold ann Platinum Marriott Rewards unless this has recently changed.

Courtyard also typically does not have breakfast for any elite levels in the United States. I believe outside of the U.S. this may not be the case.

That is my understanding. Plat does not provide access to RC lounge by default.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, good to know about the resort properties and RC restrictions -- we haven't actually stayed on the MAR side yet, first bookings are likely in our summer Europe trip, as it gave us a few better selections for properties (locations, not necessarily quality)