• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading MVCI Week (or DC Points) to Interval for an "All Inclusive" Property

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you trade a fixed week or DC points to Interval Int'l for a week at a high-end property such as "Moon Palace" in Jamaica or Mexico, does the trade include just the room or does it also include the "all-inclusive" per person per day fee being covered?

I looked into one of these properties using the Interval "bonus certificates" and was told that the all inclusive cover charge ($284 per person per day) was not included.

If it is not covered when making the exchange of the week or DC points, where is the value in the trade?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The AI is never covered. The maintenance fee which paid for the deposit only covers the stay. It does not cover food and drink so it's impossible for II to include the AI.

There is very little to negative value in the trade unless the resort offers high end food and top shelf liquor and you take advantage of it and then some.

Even in the US, bars and restaurants will scam and put cheap liquor in expensive bottles. Would resorts in Mexico do this? Absolutely. Even if you assume they are honest and offer high end food and liquor and you take advantage of it, at $284 a day, holy cow! Give me a six pack and a beach!

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
If it is not covered when making the exchange of the week or DC points, where is the value in the trade?

There is no value.

Other Tuggers state you can find cheaper AI rates elsewhere for the same properties.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want a high end resort in Mexico, exchange into the Grand Luxxe. It's not AI but it is incredible. The one in the Mayan Riviera has multiple excellent restaurants. You won't have to leave the property if you for not want to. It is MUCH nicer than the Moon Palace.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
I am going to Punta Cana during spring break to an AI resort. We are going to a resort recommended by a number of people in a travel FB group we belong to. There are 4 resorts in II that you can trade into using an AC. Two of them are on the top 25 AI list in an article I read. Top 25 may not seem good but there are 100 in the area. Anyway I was curious so I called up the two. The AC is worth about 75 a day off the total cost of 325 per day for 2 including food. We are sticking with the non II resort. A little more money but a lot more Expedia and TripAdvisor verified reviews that would recommend it.

This is an r & r vacation and my first AI resort. The reviews on the food are in general positive but I remain a little skeptical. We are trying to diet so maybe this is a good thing. We rented our Monarch week and the choices were a cruise from PR, Cuba or Punta Cana. All places Southwest goes to driven by the campanion pass.

Back on point, in this case the AC for the AI in Punta Cana was of minimal value to what it would cost going direct. trading a timeshare for a unit is a silly choice.

Last edited:

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I looked into an AI resort with an AC I got. I think the resort was in Jamaica. I had to call the resort to see what the price would be if I used my AC at their resort. It was dependent on the dates/season and the size of the unit (which made NO sense to me). Anyway, for a 1BR at the resort, it was $200 per person PER DAY! Seriously? No way!

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
The getaway prices at most of these places is VERY cheap. If you really want to stay at one, look at those options before giving up points. You still have to buy the AI sep.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I will check it out. Is there a specific property within the Grand Luxxe family that you recommend? There appear to be 4 GRAND LUXXE properties in Mexico. What is the II resort code?

Last edited:

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I will check it out. Is there a specific property within the Grand Luxxe family that you recommend? There appear to be 4 GRAND LUXXE properties in Mexico. What is the II resort code?
LX2 (Nuevo Vallarta) and LXR (Riviera Maya)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
One thing to watch out for at the Vidanta properties (Grand Luxxe), is that while they are not mandatory AI, they do have an $11 per person per day "resort fee". Still much cheaper than AI. You can also look for the Westin Lagunamar (WLR) in Cancun. It is not AI. There is a ton of availability in getaway and exchange for this fall. Mainly because they are resurfacing the pools. One pool will be closed at some time between middle of August and middle of October. There will always be two pools open.

The Lagunamar is in the middle of the middle of the hotel zone with just about every kind of restaurant you can imagine around. La Isla Shopping Village is right across the street from Lagunamar. Many more places a short bus ride away.

Hopefully Marriott will decide to develop the land they own in Cancun. There is just one property, the Live Aqua, between the Lagunamar and the land that Marriott owns in Cancun.

I have looked at several AI, and the mandatory fee always seems to make it a bad deal. I have yet to find anything worth while.

Newport Drive

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned today from Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya - traded our Marriott Lakeshore Reserve week for kids spring break week. The property was amazing. The service was unbelievable and the staff literally followed us around at pools, gym, restaurants cleaning up. Grand Luxxe is a Vidanta property and it is the nicest of the 5 hotel groups all in the resort area. It is very large and you can either walk on beautiful wooden walk ways in a jungle like setting or take trams to the various pools, restaurants, beach, etc. We are active people and did not mind walking and getting the exercise but for very young or old this may not be the best or they may opt to use the trams. We had great restaurant experiences in all but one eatery. We ate breakfast in the room but pretty much ate most lunches at the pool and dinners out. I would highly recommend trading into this property. On the other hand places like Moon Palace are available anytime and all year as a trade for one reason - because there is no value trading. They charge more for the AI program than it's worth. If you want to go there book online and it would probably be the same without having to give up your timeshare week.