• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading in RCI

Duanerice

Reaction score
Hi all,
New owner but a little confused about trading into RCI. Hopefully you guys can clear this up for me. I know as an HGVC owner I can use my points in RCI. I think I can also deposit my points directly into RCI. But I also hear people talk about trading power. Not sure what that is all about.

So, my questions are what are the options, advantages and disadvantages of dealing with RCI?
1) RCI exchange through HGVC
2) Depositing points directly into RCI.
3) Why would trading power matter since I deposit points?

I also read that I should be able to access RCI from my HGVC website. I do not see where to access them from the page.

I already booked for this year as we are going to Vegas (main reason we bought this) so we are not in a hurry but want to start planning for next year.

Thanks in advance for clearing this up for me.
Duane

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Hi all,
New owner but a little confused about trading into RCI. Hopefully you guys can clear this up for me. I know as an HGVC owner I can use my points in RCI. I think I can also deposit my points directly into RCI. But I also hear people talk about trading power. Not sure what that is all about.

So, my questions are what are the options, advantages and disadvantages of dealing with RCI?
1) RCI exchange through HGVC
2) Depositing points directly into RCI.
3) Why would trading power matter since I deposit points?

I also read that I should be able to access RCI from my HGVC website. I do not see where to access them from the page.

I already booked for this year as we are going to Vegas (main reason we bought this) so we are not in a hurry but want to start planning for next year.

Thanks in advance for clearing this up for me.
Duane

Using HGVC points in RCI doesn't require trade power. It's a fixed grid depending on size and season. Example for red weeks it's 2400 points for any studio in RCI, 3400 for a 1 bedroom and 4800 for any 2 bedroom and 5800 for a 3 bedroom. You won't have to worry about trade power when using a fixed grid, you just need to have enough points available to you or be able to borrow future years to make the reservation. If you own an affiliate resort you may have to pay your MF's first. In the regular HGVC resorts you don't have to pay your MF's ahead of time to borrow ahead.

You should have a link in the club portal that says My Club and then drill down to RCI affiliated resorts, then reservations and then you should see a red ball that says RCI click here to book my exchange reservations.
Below that you can see the season and size grids.

You don't have to do full week exchanges in RCI, you also have access to RCI points nightly inventory as well.

RCI can be a good use as well as a poor use of your points depending on the value of the week you are exchanging into so use wisely.

Hope this helps.:hi:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It may take 2 - 3 weeks for your "RCI reservations" option to be activated and appear as an option on your member web-page. So you may need to be patient.

Do not worry about depositing points... there is no point. When you make am RCI reservation, you will be told how many points are required and when you confirm the reservation, the points will be deducted from your account by the system.

There is typically only one reason why someone would chose to deposit points to the RCI Program (HGVC's RCI program) -- To keep their points from going "poof" at the end of the year. For this, one does a "rescue" by either (a) depositing points to next year's HGVC account for RCI or HGVC bookings, or (2) depositing points to RCI which allows for up to two more years' use.

Even if you want to use current-year points for a future-year reservation, a deposit is not needed. If you use current year points to book an RCI stay in a future year and cancel the reservation in a future year, the current-year points may be saved at that point with an RCI deposit.

Clear as mud?

Last edited:

Duanerice

Reaction score
Thanks all,
that does clear it up. Now that I know where to find it I do have the RCI red ball.

Thanks again,
Duane