• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading an exchange?

cycart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Madge

I am trying to exchange a 3BR week 14 Fairfield Williamsburg for a 2BR at Royal Mayan in August 2008. I have had my deposit and request in at the earliest possible times. I know RM is tough to get into so I am now looking at other alternatives.

Can I accept an exchange for somewhere else (it doesn't matter where) and trade this location with someone else for a Royal Mayan week (off RCI) if I purchase a Guest Certificate? I thought there was some rule against renting weeks with a GC, but wasn't sure how it worked with trading.

cr4909

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like Madge has taken the week off so I'll take a crack at this one . . .

You can certainly rent/trade your exchanged week to whomever you wish. As long as you pay the fee for the guest certificate, RCI doesn't care if the "guest" is a close friend or a stranger you are renting/exchanging your week for.

You might try doing a direct exchange for your Williamsburg week with a Royal Mayan owner, if you can find someone. TUG does have a direct exchange board if you are a member. Exchanging for a different week through RCI and then trading it for Royal Mayan is a bit risky, unless you can find a taker first and know exactly what you can exchange for in RCI.

Otherwise, Mayan Riviera might be another alternative, as there were some Grand Mayan resorts available last time I checked for Aug 2008.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Read the 'Sticky' at the top of the page. Basically, the only permissible 'trade' of an exchange week is the use of a Guest Certificate and possibly receiving payment to cover the cost of the GC.
Renting out a week received via the RCI exchange system is forbidden.

cr4909

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Read the 'Sticky' at the top of the page. Basically, the only permissible 'trade' of an exchange week is the use of a Guest Certificate and possibly receiving payment to cover the cost of the GC.
Renting out a week received via the RCI exchange system is forbidden.

Ooops, I stand corrected. So, if we follow RCI's rules and since your week has already been deposited, it looks like you need to hope that your resort becomes available or look for an alternative. I did a quick search for Aug 2008 for "Cancun - No All Inclusive" and came up with the following:

WIVC Coral Mar (1 BD, Check In 8/2/08 )
Raintree's Villa Vera Puerto Isla Mujeres (S, Check-in 8/2/08 - 8/30/08)
The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya (H-2 BD, Check-in 8/1/08 - 9/5/08)
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya (H-2 BD, Check-in 8/1/08 - 8/10/08 )