• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tourist Police units to be created in Cancún, Acapulco and Los Cabos

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sad to see rising crime in Cancun. It won't affect the vast majority of tourists since they rarely if ever leave the hotel zone to visit the downtown area. We did, however, when we used to stay in Cancun. We may need to rethink our day trips to Cancun, since they always included a trip downtown.

Excerpt: Given the increasing insecurity and crime that Mexico’s main tourist destinations have been experiencing, the Secretariat of Tourism announced the implementation of a feasibility study to prevent crime from hurting the tourist industry.

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017...-be-created-in-cancun-acapulco-and-los-cabos/

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
They already have one in Cancun. I was there in Feb., and I saw a Tourist Police Station (marked as such) on Blvd Kukulcan (the main street in the hotel zone), diagonally opposite the popular restaurant El Fish Fritanga.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
They already have one in Cancun. I was there in Feb., and I saw a Tourist Police Station (marked as such) on Blvd Kukulcan (the main street in the hotel zone), diagonally opposite the popular restaurant El Fish Fritanga.

However, they have not offered this: "Sectur will deploy new tourism police for the program but is seeking the participation of the business community, state and municipal governments as well as citizens who live in the tourist regions to help pay for it... main intention is to generate excellent, well-paid police agents and to give them decent housing, and life insurance, and scholarships for their children.... "

This will be a new endeavor, no doubt to augment or replace the existing personnel.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
However, they have not offered this: "Sectur will deploy new tourism police for the program but is seeking the participation of the business community, state and municipal governments as well as citizens who live in the tourist regions to help pay for it... main intention is to generate excellent, well-paid police agents and to give them decent housing, and life insurance, and scholarships for their children.... "

This will be a new endeavor, no doubt to augment or replace the existing personnel.

I kind of wondered what jobs the English / Spanish speaking, returned to Mexico immigrants, would qualify for. I think speaking English would be a huge qualification for this type of job. The paradox is many of the returned immigrants were returned because they were deemed a criminal in the USA. But they do speak English !!!

Bill

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I kind of wondered what jobs the English / Spanish speaking, returned to Mexico immigrants, would qualify for. I think speaking English would be a huge qualification for this type of job. The paradox is many of the returned immigrants were returned because they were deemed a criminal in the USA. But they do speak English !!!

Bill
I'm not sure who you are referring to, but my guess is these new police agents will be dealing with local narco-traffickers, and don't need to speak English. They are to protect tourism, not police the tourists.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not sure who you are referring to, but my guess is these new police agents will be dealing with local narco-traffickers, and don't need to speak English. They are to protect tourism, not police the tourists.

My thought is the new Tourist Police are supplementing the all ready formed Tourism Police which mainly work with Tourists. What I think this means is that Mexico is planning on protecting tourists from dealing with the regular police regarding small infractions more than they do now. The increased presence of Tourist Police in areas frequented by tourists is to give the perception of security. Most of the Tourist Police do not carry a weapon from what I have seen so I don't think they are going to be fighting the cartels.

The State Police and Mexican Army deals with narco-traffickers. The local police have a reputation of taking bribes. The Tourist Police deal with Tourists in tourist area. The tourist areas need updates to their facilities to keep tourist criminals separated from the Mexican criminals which include cartel members and gangs.

I was referring to the deportees that grew up in the USA and because they committed a crime in the USA are now back in Mexico. Many of these people are bi-lingual and are familiar with American culture. The paradox is that they committed a crime and would be good candidates to become tourist police because they are bi-lingual.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
My thought is the new Tourist Police are supplementing the all ready formed Tourism Police which mainly work with Tourists. What I think this means is that Mexico is planning on protecting tourists from dealing with the regular police regarding small infractions more than they do now. The increased presence of Tourist Police in areas frequented by tourists is to give the perception of security. Most of the Tourist Police do not carry a weapon from what I have seen so I don't think they are going to be fighting the cartels.

The State Police and Mexican Army deals with narco-traffickers. The local police have a reputation of taking bribes. The Tourist Police deal with Tourists in tourist area. The tourist areas need updates to their facilities to keep tourist criminals separated from the Mexican criminals which include cartel members and gangs.

I was referring to the deportees that grew up in the USA and because they committed a crime in the USA are now back in Mexico. Many of these people are bi-lingual and are familiar with American culture. The paradox is that they committed a crime and would be good candidates to become tourist police because they are bi-lingual.

Bill

Watch too much TV Bill?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Watch too much TV Bill?

Im not sure what too much is but I have had a lot of extra time lately. I only have over the air channels but I do have a tivo that streams netflix, amazon and you tube. Oddly, I have been watching Mexican tv occasionally.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im not sure what too much is but I have had a lot of extra time lately. I only have over the air channels but I do have a tivo that streams netflix, amazon and you tube. Oddly, I have been watching Mexican tv occasionally.

Bill

How about reading? Non-fiction would suit you. That, and putting down the joint. :)

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How about reading? Non-fiction would suit you. That, and putting down the joint. :)

I actually started reading a book about a guy named Bill. He had a vessel called the Seeker. While having a wholesome beverage at the Horrible Inn, Bill's buddy, a charter boat owner named Skeets, spouted off some information that was eating a hole in his brain about one his better secret fishing sites. After obtaining this information, Bill got ahold of his buddy John.

Guess what they found ???

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually started reading a book about a guy named Bill. He had a vessel called the Seeker. While having a wholesome beverage at the Horrible Inn, Bill's buddy, a charter boat owner named Skeets, spouted off some information that was eating a hole in his brain about one his better secret fishing sites. After obtaining this information, Bill got ahold of his buddy John.

Guess what they found ???

Bill

Well well Bill, you took my advice and picked up Shadow Divers. Good for you! You must have just begun reading it...

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well well Bill, you took my advice and picked up Shadow Divers. Good for you! You must have just begun reading it...

How could anyone resist reading about two Americans who risked everything to solve one of the last mysteries of WW2 ?

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
How could anyone resist reading about two Americans who risked everything to solve one of the last mysteries of WW2 ?

Bill

Keep reading Bill. It's one of the best books I've ever read in my entire life.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Keep reading Bill. It's one of the best books I've ever read in my entire life.

I have been and I will agree that the writing style and story are very interesting.

Bill