• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tour of Mt. Rainer from Downtown Seattle

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
No, we are not renting a car and driving ourselves! So, what tour company would you recommend. There seems to be such a huge difference in pricing. Thanks

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would only go on a tour that includes Paradise. Here is a link to one such tour, Im sure there are others you could pick. There is a restaurant and snack bar at Paradise Inn. This area above the Inn is one of my favorite places in the world. The hikes are uphill but coming down is all down hill.

http://mtrainierguestservices.com/accommodations/paradise-inn/

https://www.viator.com/tours/Seattl...er-Day-Trip-from-Seattle/d704-3657PRVTRAINIER

Bill
Thanks. Unfortunately no hiking for me or hubby. Can't do it.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I hope you've got good lungs - it's hard to breathe up there, especially if you are a smoker! Elevation 14,400 ft. WAY UP THERE!

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. Unfortunately no hiking for me or hubby. Can't do it.

Its fairly flat at the Paradise Inn and Jackson Visitor Center. The views heading up Steven Pass are really something. Many places are viewing areas with parking areas so you would be fine not hiking. The hike above Paradise is the trail head to actually climb Mt Rainier and is kind of steep. On the way up to Paradise you will see many waterfalls, lakes, meadows and primeval forests. Most of these areas are handicap access areas until you get off the asphalt anyway.

Bill

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Just flew over last week on our way home from Maui. Very impressive. I drove a rental car there from Seattle back in the 80s so I could also see Mt St Helens. I took this pic from my seat on the plane from Portland to Dallas (Alaska Air)

Attachments

• IMG_1695.JPG
    IMG_1695.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Weather with special attention to cloud ceiling and general visibility should be major considerations.
What time of year are you coming? How far in advance do you feel the need to book?
Jack

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
The peak of Mt Rainier dwarfs even Haleakala, which is saying something. Being there at the right time is essential because of cloud cover. It's a tough pick given the balance between the clear winter sky and deep snow vs. the cloudy summer sky and less snow. I was there first week of June and the snow up top was still 6 ft deep. Go there now and the roads will be closed, or you will see nothing but snow banks on the side of the road, and no view.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Usually, the roads are open by Memorial Day, but with the amount of snow we have this year, it might be mid June. Usually, late June is a good time to head up to Paradise. Wild flowers are every where, but with the amount of snow we have this year, it could be early July. I agree with Sea Six, a clear day after the snow melts is what you want or the best things to see are hidden.

Bill

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Your issue is the time of year. I think you are going this June? late June? There will likely be lots of snow up there until late July or later.
Tours tend to go to either Paradise or Sunrise. Give the amount of snow we've had this year, stick to Paradise which has more for a non-hiker to do. I suspect that Sunrise will have a late opening this year; meaning they will need to push to get the road open by July 4 with too much snow for much hiking. At Paradise, there will likely be 6-10' of snow at that time of year, but, if the weather is clear, you will still have the views of the Mountain. You can tour the Visitor center and the lodge and have lunch at the lodge. The waterfalls will be booming but you won't see any meadows.
Stevens Canyon road (not Stevens Pass as Bill mentioned above), at least to Reflection Lakes is worth the trip. Try to make sure any tour stops there. However, given the time of year and the amount of snow, the lakes may still be mostly snow covered. That road is closed in the winter and they usually try to have it opened by Memorial Day, but this year might be tight if there are any slides on the road.
Do your research now, but wait until you are in Seattle to book. You can check conditions via the web cams at the Mt Rainier NP webpage and also the weather report to see if it is worth your time.

Sue

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its fairly flat at the Paradise Inn and Jackson Visitor Center. The views heading up Steven Pass are really something. Many places are viewing areas with parking areas so you would be fine not hiking. The hike above Paradise is the trail head to actually climb Mt Rainier and is kind of steep. On the way up to Paradise you will see many waterfalls, lakes, meadows and primeval forests. Most of these areas are handicap access areas until you get off the asphalt anyway.

Bill
Stevens Pass doesn't go up Mount Rainier. At least 100 miles north

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your absolutely right. Its Steven Canyon Road like Sue said. I was thinking of Cayuse Pass when I wrote Stevens Pass. :doh:My bad.

Bill

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, thanks for mentioning the snow. I live in South Carolina now and we are in the 80's right now! We are going June 21-26. I was looking into booking ahead only because I wasn't sure how big of a demand there is for these tours. If I can wait, I certainly will to make sure we do this tour when it is not raining. Thanks everyone for your help.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Here's the Mt Rainier webpage with all the webcams.
https://www.nps.gov/mora/learn/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm#CP_JUMP_696846

Under Paradise, look at the Visitor Center or East cameras to get a good view of the main area.
Longmire is at a low elevation on the way up to Paradise.
The Sunrise cameras are down for the winter and won't be up until late June/early July but it's a spectacular area if you can get there.

Sue

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for mentioning the snow. I live in South Carolina now and we are in the 80's right now! We are going June 21-26. I was looking into booking ahead only because I wasn't sure how big of a demand there is for these tours. If I can wait, I certainly will to make sure we do this tour when it is not raining. Thanks everyone for your help.
I would hold off on any reservation until you are in town or you have a few days of weather forecast. It's not a matter of rain, but clouds. You definitely don't want the Mountain to be in clouds. There are very few locations, if any, where the elevation goes from sea level to about 13,000 foot in a distance of about 75 miles. The view of the Mountain from Seattle on a clear day is spectacular.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The key phrase in the Seattle area is: "THE MOUNTAIN IS OUT" This means Mt. Rainier is in full view.
I lived in Seattle for 10 years and received my PhD from the University of Washington. One of the first phrases I learned when I arrived in Seattle was "The Mountain is Out" and I never tired of viewing Mount Rainier in all those years.

Have a good trip and I hope The Mountain is Out for you. At the time of year you will be in Seattle, your odds are good.

Richard

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I grew up on Puget Sound looking out over the water at Mount Rainier, AKA The Mountain. "The Mountain is out" was and is the perfect phrase for viewing Mount Rainier.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
In all my trips to Seattle I never once saw Mt Rainier from the city. I always thought the pics of the mountain from Seattle were photochopped. Now you tell me these photos are REAL????

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I've lived in Seattle for 30+ years, and I've heard variations of the "Mountain is out". Mostly "Rainier's out" or "See Rainier".
Hard to see Rainier from downtown Seattle street level. Other hills, e.g. Beacon Hill or First Hill can block it.

On a side note, I had a college friend years ago, whose parents lived in North Bend (east of Seattle). North Bend is in the front yard of Mt Si, a mountain with a big sheer western face. My friend's dad was a writer with a wry sense of humor, and his publisher came out yearly from NYC. Every time he came out, it was cloudy and foggy and Mt Si was covered. My friend's dad could never convince him there was a mountain a mile away ;)