• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tips and Tricks When at WKORV

trader14

Reaction score
We are at the westin maui resorts now using our staroptions in a lovely 2 bedroom oceanview room. 2 months ago i made a reservation for 2 weeks for a chevy impala for $304 after taxes from hertz which i thought was cheap. yesterday before we left i checked costco and enterprise has the same car for $282 for 2 weeks and they upgraded us to a ford explorer limited (happy dance).

if anyone is down here say hello!

crf450x

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just left WKORV today and at the Marriott Ko Olina now. Had a great time there and the weather was the best we have ever had there since we started coming to WKORV. Did an owners update presentation with the mandatory 60 minutes time requirement and we were in and out of there in LESS than 15 minutes. We were pleasantly surprised at how painless it was and in fact we kept him there a minute or two longer then he wanted to be there because we truly had some questions on the recent changes to the SVN system. He had a profile on us and I believe they have information on our resale timeshares we own so it has to be nearly an impossible sell for someone that already has purchased resale to purchase directly from the developer.

I recommend contacting Sara from Maui Baby Rental if you want to spend any amount of time at the beach. We rented beach chairs, boogie boards and an umbrella from her and she has one of her people deliver directly to the villas and picks up when you leave. Makes a world of difference in enjoying the beach when you need a break from the sun. Best money spent and her rental prices are very reasonable. PS: I have no affiliation to this rental business. We just use it every time we come to Maui.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Their rental prices are reasonable - thanks for the tip.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
We just used them this past two weeks. Great customer service, texted us when they dropped off the chairs and umbrella. I would not rent or buy an umbrella next time. The winds on the beach gusted way to high, not only tough on our Tommy Bahama umbrella, but basically everyone elses as well. We ended up renting one for a day $20.

crf450x

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just used them this past two weeks. Great customer service, texted us when they dropped off the chairs and umbrella. I would not rent or buy an umbrella next time. The winds on the beach gusted way to high, not only tough on our Tommy Bahama umbrella, but basically everyone elses as well. We ended up renting one for a day $20.

I received a tip on tug by someone, I can't remember from exactly who, but they recommended the http://thenoblo.com/ umbrella buddy. Works so great we bought several as back ups and to give to family and friends. To get the umbrella to stay put, we usually use our kids shovel to dig out a deep hole, then screw in the tommy bahama umbrella as far as it will go, then fill in the area around the umbrella post with wet sand then install the "no blo" towards the wind. Will last all day this way.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a tip on tug by someone, I can't remember from exactly who, but they recommended the http://thenoblo.com/ umbrella buddy. Works so great we bought several as back ups and to give to family and friends. To get the umbrella to stay put, we usually use our kids shovel to dig out a deep hole, then screw in the tommy bahama umbrella as far as it will go, then fill in the area around the umbrella post with wet sand then install the "no blo" towards the wind. Will last all day this way.

At WKORV-N right now and we do the same thing. Only 2 days since 06/21 you had to take it down with gusts over 25 MPH.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took a noblo to Maui this year and it was great. It will hold the umbrella down - no problem there. Its keeping the umbrella from going inside out! The Tommy umbrellas are pretty good about keeping shape, though.

$16.50 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077TE3P0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They do go inside out, however, they don't break and will "snap" back into place most times without assistance. The thread holding the arms in place sometimes breaks so I carry nylon thread and a needle and repair them as needed. You can rent an umbrella for $20/day (we stay 8 weeks per year). Do the math it's $1000 if you go to the beach 50 times. The Tommy Bahama umbrella cost $25. I've used the current one for 3 years.

DoubleA

Reaction score
Unit Request at Reservation

For Westin Kaanapali, how can I specify the floor or view for the units? I have young kids and prefer to stay on ground floor due to the balcony.

Thanks.

bbison

TUG Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarta
Star Noodle - Yum! Long wait for even a shared table when I have showed up. But well worth the wait. Salty

You can call ahead from your room and than drive there and that will get you a little ahead of the line.

Star Noodle is on Open Table now, we reserved for our arrival night a month ahead of time and were seated in 5 minutes...with 30+ people in the parking lot.

Tfleming675

Reaction score
I wanted to hear what some of you have learned to make your stay on Maui better or cheaper.

Here are some of the things we usually do:
  • Request pool view bottom floor so kids can go in and out to pool during the day.
  • Check out max # of towels. Take clean ones back to room at the end of the day for extra bath towels.
  • Tip your pool waiter.
  • Stop at Costco and stock up on water, breakfast, lunch and some bbq items. I think last time we actually went to Safeway and liked it better because we didnt have to buy huge quantities of stuff.
  • Buy beach toys at Walmart or Costco. Leave them for other guests when we leave.
  • Stock up spirits to avoid the $1000 liquor bill.
  • Take the kids to the aquarium.
  • Eat at Star Noodle and Aloha Mixed plate at least once.

Agree withh all comments. Aloha Mixed plate for May-Ties.
Get the free membership at Safeway it will save you a bundle.
Don't do road to Hana and Haleakala in the same day
Great breakfast place at base of Haleakala
Pineapple farm tour is a lot of fun
And finally absolutly do a tour with Trilogy tours. We did a tour to Lani and it was the highlight of the trip.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
FYI, Living Social is having a nice discount this weekend, and SkyLine Eco Zipline tours is participating.

The Haleakala line is listed at $120pp, but discounts it to $107.xx if you book on their website. However, Living Social has had it listed for $89.99 for quite awhile, a really nice savings. I held off on booking for our December trip because you have to use it within 120 days. Good thing because today I came across this great discount code of WKNDSALE, that gives a whopping 20% off, for a total price of $72.25 pp, a savings of $35 per person off the discounted web price.
Remember: you have to use it within 120 days, so if you book today, you must use by 12/6/15.
Also, once you get your vouchers, you have to call an 800 number to actually reserve a time.
Max discount is $50 so you might have to do it in several waves if you have a family.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1789253#post1789253
http://www.zipline.com/maui

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the zip line link, Lisa. I'll be there starting this coming Friday for a few weeks and this would be something nice to do.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for posting the zip line link, Lisa. I'll be there starting this coming Friday for a few weeks and this would be something nice to do.

We will be there from Aug15-22, if you want to hookup for a cocktail or two.
Anyone else?

crf450x

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually get emails from Living Social on their promos but must have missed this one. Thanks for the heads up LisaRex!!! Just bought the Zipline package for Kauai in Poipu for our trip around Thanksgiving time. Used the promo code and bought three more from our other accounts and got the first one free.

We did the Haleakela Zip Line tour in June and had a great time, even my 8yo had a blast. After the Zip Line tour we headed over to Oheo Gulch and did the Pipiwai trail hike and then headed back to WKORV. Made for a long but fun filled day.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
David,

It would be nice to meet you and Robin in person! We're at the resort Aug 15 to Sep. 4. It would be best to meet before the 20th. We have a lot of people coming in then, because my daughter is getting married the 25th.

I'll PM you my contact information.

Henry

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
David,

It would be nice to meet you and Robin in person! We're at the resort Aug 15 to Sep. 4. It would be best to meet before the 20th. We have a lot of people coming in then, because my daughter is getting married the 25th.

I'll PM you my contact information.

Henry

Congrats! I'll be there at the beginning of Sept, as well.

Sent from my iPad

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
Equipment Rental at WKORVN

Hi All

I have read through most of this entire thread and saw a lot of suggestions for Beach chair, Beach Umbrella etc rental... I was wondering does the hotel not provide these amenities or are they always just full? Do they provide beach chairs and umbrella at both the poolside area and the beach?

I booked a room for my inlaws for June. Should I get them rental chairs, etc as well so they are guaranteed a place to sit?

If so, I have seen people recommend Baby Rentals Maui. Any other places I should look at?

Thanks all!

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Hi All

I have read through most of this entire thread and saw a lot of suggestions for Beach chair, Beach Umbrella etc rental... I was wondering does the hotel not provide these amenities or are they always just full? Do they provide beach chairs and umbrella at both the poolside area and the beach?

I booked a room for my inlaws for June. Should I get them rental chairs, etc as well so they are guaranteed a place to sit?

If so, I have seen people recommend Baby Rentals Maui. Any other places I should look at?

Thanks all!

They provide pool chairs for free; they charge for beach chairs.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If you want a guaranteed spot by the pool, you'll have to reserve a cabana. Otherwise, the provided pool chairs are first-come, first-served. Honestly, if it's just 2 people, they shouldn't have a ton of trouble finding chairs any time of the day, though possibly not in the shade. If it's a family of four the 3rd week of June...well, that might be trickier. Let's just say that I wouldn't mosey down at 11am and expect to find 4 chairs together.

That being said, it's not really a huge deal unless you absolutely HAVE to sit in a shaded spot. Otherwise, finding a seat by the pool is one of the last things you should concern yourself with because it will be what it will be. Of course, having your own beach chair is a nice alternative, too. There's aways room on the beach (though not necessarily in the shade).

FYI, we had no trouble finding poolside chairs in low season. Even so, we still rented beach chairs for the week from Baby Rentals because we love to beach hop. We love packing a picnic lunch and exploring the island. And I honestly can't tell you what beach was our favorite because they were all outstanding: Ho'okipa Beach (watching the surfers and windsurfers), Makena Beach State Park (calm and beautiful and lots of shade), or Honolua Bay (outstanding snorkeling in the summer).

The Tommy Bahama chairs from Maui Baby were very reasonably priced, and they had nice carrying straps, cup holders, and even a soft-sided cooler to bring your lunch. I cannot imagine a better deal on the island. One week's rental was about the same as a one DAY rental from WKORV.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Do you know if you still get 24 hours of free valet parking at WKORV?

I typed all my rental car tips and realized that most were universal. So I posted them in the Traveler Info tab.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1532981&postcount=1

In addition, below is my advice for WKORV specifically:

1. When we arrive on island, my husband immediately heads to the car rental shuttle (since he's the primary driver). The rest of us head to the luggage carrousel. By the time our luggage arrives, he’s usually out front with the rental car, and we just have to load the bags and go.
  2. You get 24 hours of free valet parking at WKORV, so take full advantage of it. We use it when we first arrive, and then again the next morning after when we return with our week's supply of groceries. Valet has bins that they can load groceries into and deliver right to your villa.
  3. Don’t forget to get your car out of valet within 24 hours, or you’ll pay for valet until you move it.
  4. There’s no need for a GPS in Maui. There are only a few major roads, and signage is very good.
  5. If you want to drive the backside of Hana, I’d recommend an SUV. My friends drove a convertible and got a flat tire.
  6. If you drive the road to Hana, the West Maui mountains, or to the summit of Haleakala, take Dramamine if you get car sick.
  7. If you are a timid driver, skip the Road to Hana, or let a tour company drive you. And forget about driving past the Nakalele Blowhole in the West Maui mountains.
  8. Once again, take your valuables with you. Local thieves target rental cars. When we were boarding for our whale watching trip at Ma'alea Harbor, a couple had just gotten their expensive camera stolen from their trunk. It was broad daylight on a major road. I'm sure they put the camera in the trunk before they left, not realizing that thieves were monitoring their activity from a distance.