*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Tipping Window Installers?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by 3kids4me, Mar 25, 2011.

1. 3kids4me

3kids4me TUG Lifetime Member

There are varying opinions on the internet so I wanted to get the opinions of folks here.

Would you tip window installers and if so, how much?

Thank you!!

2. Ridewithme38

Ridewithme38 TUG Member

I'm cheap...Depending on how long it took(Big bay window or just a double hung) and how many people it took to do it....I'll usually throw them enough money to buy them lunch

3. Elan

Elan TUG Member

As with most service providers, I don't tip unless they do things that are exemplary or perform additional services beyond those that are billed.

4. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    No one tips construction workers. Making or buying them lunch makes them uncomfortable as well. Would you tip the checker at Walmart ?

The best thing to do if you enjoyed the work process is to give them a good reference to their boss.

5. cgeidl

cgeidl Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

No

No.I thought your title meant the installers were drinking. At the rates charged we never tip service personnel as they make more than we ever did.

6. Rose Pink

Rose Pink TUG Member

I agree with this.

7. tlwmkw

tlwmkw Guest

With all the computer topics on TUG recently I thought you were referring to Microsoft Windows. This made the title of the thread very confusing. Glad I looked to see what it was all about. Regardless, I wouldn't tip the window installers.

tlwmkw

8. pgnewarkboy

pgnewarkboy TUG Member

In my experience Windows basically is self-installed. Once down loaded an automatic installer begins its job. I definitely would not tip the windows "installer". I am totally not confused on this point.

9. rosebud5

rosebud5 TUG Member

No tips from me. I'm sure they are paid well.

10. dougp26364

dougp26364 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Why? Why is it everyone in America thinks they need to tip or be tipped? My rule of thumb is, if they make less than minimum wage, I'll tip. Otherwise they've contracted for amount they'll accept for the services they preform. I would not be tipping general contract labor. I'm paying them the asking price and the laborers are working for the wage they've accepted.

11. stevedmatt

stevedmatt TUG Member

I agree with not tipping, but I always offer a beverage or to order them lunch. The checker at Walmart has a better chance (if I shopped there) of getting tipped from me since he/she is only making minimum wage.

12. pgnewarkboy

pgnewarkboy TUG Member

Always tip your surgeon

I always make a point of tipping my surgeon. Half of the promised tip up front the other half if I survive the surgery.

13. Icc5

Icc5 TUG Member

Why

Are they special? Do you tip everyone? Where I work we are not allowed to take tips and can be fired if we do and our wages certainly aren't even average so I am careful about who I tip.
    We did tip our carpet installer only because him and his helpers were afraid of us ruining the carpet when we had to move the player piano back onto the carpet so they helped us. I gave them an extra $40 for lunch and our carpet looks great and the piano is right where we wanted it.
    Bart

14. Tia

Tia TUG Member

your not serious right?:ponder:

15. pgnewarkboy

pgnewarkboy TUG Member

I am not serious most of the time. :) Maybe tipping your surgeon is really a good idea!

16. Tia

Tia TUG Member

Okay gottcha ;)