• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshares with High Quality UNITS & Low MFs

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd love to hear your recommendations for units that you feel are very high quality relative to their low MFs. I'm thinking that this can be done through lean management, very limited marketing, and by offering fewer services and extras. I think some of us like luxury units, but we don't need to pay for all the extras such as swimming pools, lush landscaping, game rooms, business services, grand lobby, concierge desk, etc. etc. Some of us no longer travel with kids, so many of the extras are simply not needed. We mostly want luxury units, such as modern designs, large flat screen TVs, marble, stainless steel appliances, big tubs, etc.

Personally, I feel that Vacation Villages properties are relatively low in price relative to the quality of their units, some of which are gold crown. But imagine how much lower MFs could be if they eliminated some of the extras I mentioned above.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You really just want a residential condo but as a timeshare?

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
What would be your idea of lower MF's given the proposal you mentioned for Vacation Villages
properties?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I'd love to hear your recommendations for units that you feel are very high quality relative to their low MFs. I'm thinking that this can be done through lean management, very limited marketing, and by offering fewer services and extras. I think some of us like luxury units, but we don't need to pay for all the extras such as swimming pools, lush landscaping, game rooms, business services, grand lobby, concierge desk, etc. etc. Some of us no longer travel with kids, so many of the extras are simply not needed. We mostly want luxury units, such as modern designs, large flat screen TVs, marble, stainless steel appliances, big tubs, etc.

Personally, I feel that Vacation Villages properties are relatively low in price relative to the quality of their units, some of which are gold crown. But imagine how much lower MFs could be if they eliminated some of the extras I mentioned above.

I feel my 2 bedroom LO at Quarter House fits that bill, $628 per year, independently run, great location and a nice clean resort.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
How interesting that my 'wish list' is so vastly different from yours! I couldn't care less for a large screen TV (I'm not there to watch TV?) or marble counter tops. I *do* want lush landscaping and generous 'gathering' spaces (pool complex, green spaces with benches, a fire pit, pool tables, table tennis, community space for board games, etc.) for relaxed conversations with other travelers. A business center or at least really good WiFi is a big deal. I want the room to be "clean and comfortable" -- but really don't need "high end."

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
At Massanutten if you have an EOY 4 br lock of enrolled in the internal exchange so you get a 2 BR ey, you get a Summit or Woodstone 2 BR for around $425 a year. A regal Vista unit is about $480 a year. The waterpark is not included but their are indoor and outdoor pools, hiking trails, some included activities plus nice overall units.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Amazing ... wants highest quality but lowest possible MFs .... usually, that will get you a very LARGE SPECIAL ASSESSMENT in a couple of years.... right after the developer has turned over the controlled of HOA.

Suggest you find a resort being built ... with the developer still building for the next 3+ years.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A two (2) bedroom unit at Massanutten EOY for $425 a year sounds like a good deal.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I already have my luxury unit, and that's called home (granite counter top, large screen tv, marble and travertine, stainless steel, big tub...). When I am timesharing, I want at least that as a minimum for where I sleep, and then more - nice beach, large and beautiful pools, lush landscaping, grand lobby, business services, concierge desk etc. We do not travel with kids.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
How interesting that my 'wish list' is so vastly different from yours! I couldn't care less for a large screen TV (I'm not there to watch TV?) or marble counter tops. I *do* want lush landscaping and generous 'gathering' spaces (pool complex, green spaces with benches, a fire pit, pool tables, table tennis, community space for board games, etc.) for relaxed conversations with other travelers. A business center or at least really good WiFi is a big deal. I want the room to be "clean and comfortable" -- but really don't need "high end."

I absolutely want all the things you want when I vacation with kids and other family members. That is a real vacation. But when it's just the 2 of us, I find that we spend more time in the units. And we sometimes work remotely and have less time. Or we spend our time outside the resort. So it makes more sense to pay less or to have higher quality units if we are not enjoying all the extra services. In the latter case, we are essentially paying for others to enjoy the services that we don't want or need.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
A two (2) bedroom unit at Massanutten EOY for $425 a year sounds like a good deal.

This is the resort I had in mind when I made my initial post. Massanutten is a Vacation Villages property and I am a happy owner. They keep fees low by doing very limited marketing, through RCI only as far as I can tell. They are located in an area with relatively cheap land. They do have nice pools and some activities, but the vast majority of activities require extra payments (winter sports, waterpark, arts and crafts, zipline, etc.). I highly recommend you check it out by visiting the massresort website. The units are much bigger and better than you would expect for only $425. If the same unit was in NYC or S.F or Chicago, I bet it would go for $4,000.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I already have my luxury unit, and that's called home (granite counter top, large screen tv, marble and travertine, stainless steel, big tub...). When I am timesharing, I want at least that as a minimum for where I sleep, and then more - nice beach, large and beautiful pools, lush landscaping, grand lobby, business services, concierge desk etc. We do not travel with kids.

My spouse agrees with you completely. We have a very high end home. She loves staycations too. We take about 3 weeks vacationing in nice places that have the things you describe (beaches or mountains). But we are approaching retirement, which means more free time. And I still have the travel bug, so I want to take several extra weeks outside of the house, but I'd like to avoid paying for things I don't need.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel my 2 bedroom LO at Quarter House fits that bill, $628 per year, independently run, great location and a nice clean resort.

I just checked out the website and this is EXACTLY the type of place I'm trying to identify. High rated, quality accommodations with low fees! And great location too! I already made a big investment to become a Platinum Wyndham owner and this seems better than La Belle Maison. With my platinum discount, my cost is probably equally low, but I'd love to try Quarter House one day! Interested in exchanging one day?

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found a thread started by Ron about low MFs in the Quarter House. It just occurred to me that I can probably identify the types of resorts I seek by looking up best managed timeshares.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
You really just want a residential condo but as a timeshare?

Years ago, I considered a fractional ownership, such as those featured in the SherpaReport. But those properties are VERY expensive (like Ritz Carlton timeshares). I almost purchased at High Country Club. Glad I didn't as it went bankrupt very very quickly in 2008. So glad I discovered timeshares in 2012.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
You really have to do a lot of due diligence if low MF's are a primary driver in your purchase decision. Digging into the numbers to assess why that is, and is it sustainable.

Special assessments, tax abatements, underfunded reserves, developer subsidies, renting of prime inventory, defaulting owners being carried forward rather than recorded as bad debt, borrowing, receivables factoring .... there are many reasons why low MF's might be a value trap.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that I can probably identify the types of resorts I seek by looking up best managed timeshares.

Out of curiosity, how / where might you hope to somehow find a single source on which to "look up best managed timeshares"? :confused:

There are so many different timeshare systems and "chains", lots of independents, lots of different management companies (big and small), and widely varying maintenance fees. In addition, "best managed" is a highly subjective notion, no? A place in SW FL at which we formerly owned had the highest maintenance fees among all of our timeshare ownerships, but was actually the worst managed, IMnsHO. Among our remaining ownerships today (we don't own within any "chains"), the lowest maintenance fee place is actually also by far the best managed, IMnsHO.

Stated differently, I wish you luck but am personally unaware that a source exists on which to just "look up best managed timeshares". :shrug:

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I might point out that Massanutten and Quarter House are about as much alike as night and day, as much alike as the Shenandoah Valley and New Orleans.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most people would define best managed to mean that costs are low relative to what you receive. So for me, this would mean consistently low MFs with high quality units. While Massanutten and Quarter House are clearly very different, they both have high quality units with low MFs.

Low cost places like Texas, Nevada and some parts of FL have high quality units at low costs too. I am considering spending some of my retirement in these areas. And they also happen to have no state income tax!

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will chime in here on the low MF. I own at HICV HIVC in Las Vegas as my home resort. Converted to points in the Holiday Inn System. The MF are the same for all size units: 1 or 2 bedrooom. So the 2 bedroom is about $616 per year. I think that this is pretty good, but others might disagree. I have three "units" (converted to points) and pay $1850 or so for all three.

I also think the Massanutten suggestion is wonderful. I love that resort and have stayed there many times in the past. Their MF are very reasonable, and hopefully will stay that way.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
we don't need to pay for all the extras such as swimming pools, lush landscaping, game rooms, business services, grand lobby, concierge desk, etc. etc. Some of us no longer travel with kids, so many of the extras are simply not needed. We mostly want luxury units, such as modern designs, large flat screen TVs, marble, stainless steel appliances, big tubs, etc.

[...] imagine how much lower MFs could be if they eliminated some of the extras I mentioned above.

Well, as mentioned in this thread by others, what we each consider "extra" varies. Some things are necessary obviously - a bed, a shower, a toilet... but there is a lot of wiggle room about what we consider extra. For instance, I want good wifi and I like modern designs with new furnishings and flat screen TVs. But I don't need the TV to be 'large' and I don't care at all about marble or granite countertops or stainless steel appliances. I like a big bath tub sometimes, but I'll trade it for many other things. I don't really care about the size of the pool but I want it to be warm enough that we enjoy it.

At this stage in my life and where I live I have nearly all the luxuries I could want right at home. I have a resort style pool at my gym, I have a nice kitchen with my nice countertops and appliances. I have plenty of nearby activities. And I live near a park too so I have access to all those things right at home. I use a timeshare primarily for the LOCATION not the amenities. Don't get me wrong, I like nice things and I definitely enjoy a nice resort but my absolute main focus is on the location. And well, location is a huge determining factor in costs. Anything near the beach is going to require more maintenance than stuff in Vegas - that salty wet air really does a number on the buildings. Similarly, anything in a major city is likely to be smaller and have fewer things like pools and lush gardens, but the cost of maintenance might be just as much or more because of taxes and staffing etc. being higher in the city than in the country.

Point is, I think maybe your focus is too narrow. There are lots of ways to achieve low MF without having to cut "extras." For instance, how well does management market and rent out unused weeks? If they do a good job at that then you have a situation where rental income is generated above and beyond owners' payments, which if managed well could lower MF for owners. Other examples are converting to low-water landscaping and installing other energy-saving devices. Consider, too, resorts that charge for parking or wifi or things some people would consider extras so that only those who want it pay for it.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, as mentioned in this thread by others, what we each consider "extra" varies. <snip)

Point is, I think maybe your focus is too narrow. There are lots of ways to achieve low MF without having to cut "extras." For instance, how well does management market and rent out unused weeks? If they do a good job at that then you have a situation where rental income is generated above and beyond owners' payments, which if managed well could lower MF for owners. Other examples are converting to low-water landscaping and installing other energy-saving devices. Consider, too, resorts that charge for parking or wifi or things some people would consider extras so that only those who want it pay for it.

And YOU absolutely should walk ANY resort before buying. I had looked at pictures, knew the location to the ocean & transportation, wanted oceanfront it had, decent MFs, etc ... but when I visited a unit and opened the electrical panel box and fuses/sockets had RUST on them ... I totally ruled out that entire resort.

The more places who look at the better you will find what is best for you AND at a good price. That way, when you decide to divest yourself of that TS ... you will less likely say ... "I lost a LOT OF MONEY" ...but say, "I got my money's worth and had a great time; hope the new owner gets years of pleasure also."

Vacations cost money. Timeshares cost money. Spend wisely and carefully... it is your family time ... know your limits.