• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Rookie [Fractional Ownership]

Craisegolfer

Reaction score
Hello TUG Members,

I'm researching the idea of purchasing a timeshare, however, everything I see is based on weeks. I'm interested in the idea of purchasing multiple months. Is purchasing multiple months in different locations a viable option in timeshare ownership?

Kind Regards,
Gerald

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
From what I understand there are a handful of resorts that offer larger shares of the resort than one week in one unit, but they are far and few between. It's definitely not a common model. Maybe other Tuggers can comment.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
sounds like you want to look into fractional ownership, this is generally far more costly (and the resorts offering this are far more limited)

Craisegolfer

Reaction score
Hello Brian,

Thank you very much for the reply! Where do you suggest I start researching fractional ownership. We are researching the idea of being gone three months out of the year. One month in the late fall and January and February. Each month potentially a different location. I appreciate your thoughts!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Technically you can buy into a points-based system snd buy lots of points. That way you can book a block of time without the stress of trying to make exchanges to string the weeks together. Fractional ownership locks you into the same place every year, which is not what you want, as I am reading.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id think booking multiple MONTHS using points would be nearly impossible no?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
oh sorry, im sure its theoretically possible, i just meant realistically? is it possible to book a month or more straight with points?

in all systems or just some?

(this is for my own morbid curiosity now...lol)

Craisegolfer

Reaction score
Hello Brian and sptung,

Please keep the banter going...it's helping educate me.

Now I need to learn more about points based systems.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have FIXED WEEKS at a VRI resort. Some are converted to RCI points ... have at least 8 weeks in a row (same checkin day of week, mostly same unit size) in late Jan thru mid March .. .weeks 4 thru 10 (or 11). I also have converted fixed weeks in RCI Points in the Summer Prime season at same resort which gives me HOME RESORT priority BOOKING window.

So I can with very LITTLE planning ... go roost from Week 52 thru Week 10 1/2 block from the edge of the Atlantic Ocean with free parking in Ft Lauderdale. I could also take a week here and there and vacation 6 miles NORTH in Pompano Beach .. in those fixed deeded weeks I own there.

PS The resort staff figured out YEARS ago .... how to keep most stay-overs in the same unit for extended lengths of time ... Inbounds ALL want an OCEAN VIEW unit ... regulars rather sleep in later and drink on the balconies as the SUN GOES DOWN. Plus, the bars and vehicle traffic plus sirens seem to happen on the OCEAN side of the building.;) So the 1 or 2 Week staying guest, is happy to accept an ocean side unit and the stay overs, just smile as they stay in the one unit for several weeks in a row...enjoying sunsets views of the intercoastal waterway.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
oh sorry, im sure its theoretically possible, i just meant realistically? is it possible to book a month or more straight with points?

in all systems or just some?

(this is for my own morbid curiosity now...lol)

This is what points managers do with the popular Worldmark and Wyndham resorts. You can book 365 days a year straight out if you so wish and you have the points to do so. For example, Marina Dunes is one of the popular resorts (near Monterrey), you can book starting in April through October in one booking and rent those weeks out separately.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So 10K points in Worldmark gives about 1 week in a 2 Bedroom. 100K points will give you 10 weeks. 200K points give you 20 weeks worth. You can do it online at 13 months and book them.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
interesting, although to do that (consecutive full month) youd literally have to book at the beginning of the 13month window every year?

and resale would be out, dont they have a shorter window?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
interesting, although to do that (consecutive full month) youd literally have to book at the beginning of the 13month window every year?

and resale would be out, dont they have a shorter window?

You will book at 13th month ahead and block book at one go. No difference between resale and developer credits/points/contracts.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
i dont think that is the case with all points systems though? would be important for the OP to reserach before buying!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that Worldmark allows you to book it that way. I don't see why Wyndham and Marriott DC points would not operate the same way, based on everything I have read.

I won't include RCI points in the same bucket as RCI points only allow you to book what is available in their exchange system.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Smugglers Notch offers fractional ownership. In fact, I received an email today from the resort stating they have a few Family Shares(1/3 year ownership) for sale. 16 weeks which include 4 weeks summer and 4 weeks winter. 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom. Available in Falcons, Trailside Highlands and Kestrels- all lovely buildings/units. Supposedly very motivated sellers. The resort assists Family Share owners with the resales. (They stopped assisting club owners with resales unfortunately)

Here is the link: http://www.smuggs.com/re

They also have winter share, half year and full ownerships.

The only concern I would have if I were you would be trying to rent the weeks you don't use- very hard. Also, the maintenance fees for all those weeks would be in the thousands.

Last edited:

Craisegolfer

Reaction score
Is there a specific points program you would recommend? I need to learn how these programs work...Again, this is all new to us.

Craisegolfer

Reaction score
Thank you Mary Ann! Very interesting. It's amazing how many options are available.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see many multi-week stays at a favorite Mexico west coast TS of ours. it books through either VRI (weeks) or Vacation Internationale (points), so if you have the points, long stays are possible. The catch would be amassing all the necessary points resale, then unloading them when you are ready to stop actively traveling.

Jim

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
This is what points managers do with the popular Worldmark and Wyndham resorts. You can book 365 days a year straight out if you so wish and you have the points to do so. For example, Marina Dunes is one of the popular resorts (near Monterrey), you can book starting in April through October in one booking and rent those weeks out separately.

WM has put in some new rules to limit the ability to rent out weeks separately from a long booking. However, if it is for your own use, you can book as many nights as you want. The online calendar will only allow up to 30 days but for more than that, you simply call in. Once you book over 30 nights, the Transient Occupancy Tax charged by many localities no longer applies.

Most think timeshares are week based. This is no longer true. You can buy points and book any number of days you want, depending on the rules for that system. With WM, you can start any day of the week for any length;3 nights or 13 or 23 or 33 etc. You have to book at least 7 days in red season from 13 months to 10 months before the start date and, at 10 months, you can book less than 7 days.

Each system is different and it makes no sense to try to figure out the rules of each before narrowing things down. Start with this thread http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208742 and that should help narrow down the options to a manageable few. The real key is location and quality.

Tuggers Ron and Joan are timesharing full time using a combination of timeshares. Their blog is here: http://ronandjoanjourney.blogspot.com/

So answer the questions in Denise's thread and narrow down which systems best fit what you want. Then start investigating those systems. It might be that a series of weeks works for you or a couple of point systems makes sense. Bottom line, the 3 months isn't a big deal in timesharing. 'Regular' (if there is such a thing) timeshares can work well for you especially if you want to go to different locations.

Sue

Last edited:

harveyhaddixfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was curious so I looked at my resort in NC in RCI points. It appears that RCI has a limit of 3 consecutive weeks booked at the same time. I tried 10 different check ins and got no more that 21 days straight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 74

Craisegolfer

Reaction score
Sue,

Thank you so much for detailed post...this helps immensely!

Kind Regards,
Gerald

mtwingcpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I'm researching the idea of purchasing a timeshare, however, everything I see is based on weeks. I'm interested in the idea of purchasing multiple months. Is purchasing multiple months in different locations a viable option in timeshare ownership?

I've seen a number of resorts in Washington state where the basic unit of ownership is 4 - 8 weeks. But the weeks are not consecutive. Rather, they are equally spaced throughout the year, and then the calendar jumps forward one week per year so that over time all owners have equal shot at holiday weeks, etc.

I haven't seen any that sell in full months, or that would allow you to choose only certain months (rather than a prescribed/rotating schedule as noted above). So I suspect you would simply have to purchase individual weeks as necessary to accomplish that goal.