• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Presentations

travelplus

Reaction score
I like attending Timeshare Presentations to learn about and compare each companies pros and cons. I use this information to make an educated choice which company to go with and then look at resales and other means to stay or own with the particular company.

While I see people wasting the Timeshare Presenter's time looking for the free gifts I use this as an opportunity to question the pitch, learn more about the area and to see if the accommodations fit my needs. I find one or two weak points about the resort to back out in a polite way. I like the free gifts as a reward for my time and I politely say that "Unfortunately the room size or resort amenities were not as I expected however I am willing to reconsider and take up your offer if it does fit my needs in the future" I then thank the presenter for his or her time and part ways.

You see it pays to be nice to the closer and presenter. If the closer is being pushy I smile and say"While this all looks good on paper I'm going to need input from my lawyer as this is deeded property and I want to be sure I'm getting the best deal". I don't buy the "Today only we sell it for x" as there can always be deals on resales.

How do you handle the presentation? Do you think I do it well?

Overall I take these presentations as an educational lesson and learn how to sale such presentations and learn more about RCI etc.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I like attending Timeshare Presentations to learn about and compare each companies pros and cons. I use this information to make an educated choice which company to go with and then look at resales and other means to stay or own with the particular company.

While I see people wasting the Timeshare Presenter's time looking for the free gifts I use this as an opportunity to question the pitch, learn more about the area and to see if the accommodations fit my needs. I find one or two weak points about the resort to back out in a polite way. I like the free gifts as a reward for my time and I politely say that "Unfortunately the room size or resort amenities were not as I expected however I am willing to reconsider and take up your offer if it does fit my needs in the future" I then thank the presenter for his or her time and part ways.

You see it pays to be nice to the closer and presenter. If the closer is being pushy I smile and say"While this all looks good on paper I'm going to need input from my lawyer as this is deeded property and I want to be sure I'm getting the best deal". I don't buy the "Today only we sell it for x" as there can always be deals on resales.

How do you handle the presentation? Do you think I do it well?

Overall I take these presentations as an educational lesson and learn how to sale such presentations and learn more about RCI etc.

I think you have found a winner for you, especially if you have a continuing relationship with the resort. Unless there is a point you are going after, there is no particular reason to attempt to disrupt other sales or be nasty.

travelplus

Reaction score
I think you have found a winner for you, especially if you have a continuing relationship with the resort. Unless there is a point you are going after, there is no particular reason to attempt to disrupt other sales or be nasty.

Thanks for your reply. It helps to have a continuing relationship with the resort company even if I don't buy I can get my relatives to buy and I can split the costs with them:)

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO you are just there for the free stuff, and choose to be nice in the hopes you won't get blacklisted and can comeback for more trinkets

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Presentations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESPONSE:

Back in the olde days this was about the only source of information. When I go to a resort for first time I always sign up as sales person shows you where all the good stuff is. May suggest nice restaurants, back roads to avoid traffic jams,etc..

In CABO Mexico where many resorts have a 1/4 rule(RCI 1/5 is blatant lie) I scope out where to stay next year and $300 bribe covers whale watching, sunset cruise, etc.

Fortunately today there are Forums like this, TripAdvisor, several web sites, google searches. etc.

RESPONSE:

Statistics I have seen show around 1-15/20 buy so most of us are there for freebies. Of course, you have Westgate where Sales Manager jumps up on table about every 30 minutes and proclaims another sale, yet walk by table 15 minutes later and just sales people bullshitting. Generally front desk has check in package showing where WalMart is, local attractions and info on discounts.

RESPONSE:

What about sales person swearing on stack of Bibles and showing phony price list and this deal is only available for next 15 minutes. Then another liar comes over with survey , whatever guaranteeing to lock deal deal for a year for $99 down and $199 a month?

How do you handle the presentation?

RESPONSE:

Doing a time share sales pitch my way!

Make sure parking pass body snatcher or who ever, puts everything in writing and gives you a copy. Make sure you note on it 5 minute survey, 15 minute maximum update, etc. that way sales person is SOL. Also, make sure incentives are clearly spelled out. Welcome package is a worthless trinket like a drink cup, T-shit, baseball cap, etc.

Best to meet in his office as you can get up and walk out at end of proscribed time.

If he comes to room with bulging brief case tell to leave in hall as not doing any sales pitch. Ignore his shit eating grin!

Be forwarned, he has pulled your dossier and knows a lot about you. As discussed here, Deanne Gabel(now retired) and Company has determinded it is perfectly legal for Wyndham sales to access confidential VOI records for sales purposes.

The whole game plan is to disorganize/disorient canned sales pitch on a rainy day or when pooped and broke! Following is a smorgasbord! Put sales person on defensive! Make justify his existence!

ME: Do you have a business card? Makes easy if I want to get hold of you or refer an enemy!

ME:: My memory is kinda short, so I am sure you will not mind if I use this recorder to keep track of what we discuss and insure everything gets incorporated in contract!

ME:: After whipping out note pad ask name and how to spell. I take lots of notes and also when owners relations sends survey want to make sure I have it right!

Sales person(SP) asks about kids. Don't have any, parents are demised and only brother was killed in car wreck!

SP:: Any pets. Yes, you allow! I will buy right now!

SP:: Do you like to cruise? No way, get sea sick!

SP:: What is your dream vacation. Retired and been everywhere, but would like to do trip to space shuttle!

SP: How much do you spend on vacations? ME: What does that have to do with anything, you are just selling lodging?

ME: TV remote does not work, can you get fixed. If yes, reverse battery!

ME/GF: There are a couple piss ants running around in kitchen, can you get an exterminator?

ME: Why is it so hard to log onto web site? Always busy!

ME: What is wrong with WIFI?

ME:: What is being done about big pot hole in parking lot?

ME: Why aren't there more handicapped parking spaces?

ME ::Are you a licensed real estate broker? What are your credentials. How long have you been a time share sales person? How many sales have you done this month? Any recissions? Do you know what you are doing? Where does your information come from? Do you have any written documents supporting your perfumed horse manure(santized)??

ME:: When I buy a car I check out on Internet, test drive, check Magazine review articles, etc. for several hours and sure you do same. So, why would I buy anything from stranger I just met an hour ago? I have never bought a TV in corner of WalMart parking lot for cash!

ME:: I own TS and know ropes so just want to see unit. If I don't like, no way in Hell I am buying! Skip the 3 hours of perfumed horse manure(santized) and give me your best price!

On way to or from model unit note one where door is open and say I really would like to see actual unit not phony model. I don't care if bed is not made, never do at home!

GF:: Kitchen sucks

ME:: No deck

ME/GF:: Bed/TV whatever too small

GF: No good pots and pans in kitchen

SP:: So, what do you think? ME:: Have you read this article on wyndsham.com web site. What you are saying and what owners have experienced do not jibe!

ME:: Your pretty pictures have about convinced I should buy at nice resort shown, not here! Home resort has ARP doesn't it?

ME:: MF seem very low. I need to see resort financials! Any special assesments pending?

ME:: Let's see, I give you $4K down and have to pay $350 a month for ten years or $4K a year plus $800 MF to do just one week vacation and I can rent same thing on craigslist for less than $800. Do I have stupid written on my forehead?

ME:: Do you have a resale program since you stressed I can easily sell. Grab your lap top and lets check out prices on e-bay!!

ME:: Since purchase is less than 300K points and worthless VIP benefits do not apply what is difference in this and $1.00 e-bay resale?

ME:: This sounds like best thing since sliced bread. Draw up the papers and I will have my advisor who controls trust fund with all my money scope out and come back tomorrow with a certified bank check!

ME:: Why does Wyndham have "F" rating with BBB!

ME:: Are there any lawsuits pending against Wyndham for illegal sales tactics?

ME: Are you familar with Fairfield 30 Rules of Conduct dated 2006. Why are you violating?

ME:: What is difference in deeded benefits and all these other benefits that can be exterminted at Wyndham's whim and discretion? Are benefits you are promising me today guaranteed in writing unto eternity? Need to show me written documentation!!

ME:: What is VOI? How is it run? What does it cost? Why do I have to give my points?

ME:: Are you sure RCI membership is free? Says here added to MF! I don't want so just leave out!

ME:: Why are you associated with RCI since they were successfully sued for stealing members deposits and charge outrageous fees compared to II??

ME:: Directory says if I can't use say 100K points that cost $600 MF that you will only give me $210 credit and if I want to rent 100K points it will cost me $1K. What a ripoff!

ME:: Here is great article by time share expert, Bill Spearman, about Wyndham you should read! Since Wyndham legal has not challenged or sued have to assume it is true!

ME:: What is this with your attitudal negativism? You keep saying no way or making excuses!

Check out survey taker comes over:: You are not here to do any survey , you are selling sampler/Discovery package. No way in Hell will I come back here even if free. Why did sales person tell me this deal was only good for today and you are saying you will lock for a year. Who is lying? Just get me to gifting before I lose my sanity and temper!

As my olde grandpappy said, don't get mad get even!

You will find experienced salesman will turn you over to gifting in a hurray so he can find a gulliable victim and other "bodies" don't overhear!

Do you think I do it well?

RESPONSE:

Most people here avoid like the plague and cockroaches. Figure out how to get past parking pass scammer. Take phones off hook. Grab coat and run out door when weasels come aknocking

RESPONSE: You will learn a lot more here from several people who have been dare and done dat and do not have to sell you something to pay their rent!

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Resemble That Remark.

IMHO you are just there for the free stuff, and choose to be nice in the hopes you won't get blacklisted and can comeback for more trinkets
. . . not that there's anything wrong with that.

But no trinkets.

Cash only -- $150+.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Yep!

. . . not that there's anything wrong with that.

But no trinkets.

Cash only -- $150+.

That's what I am talking about, Alan! Time is money and money is time! Pay me and I don't come cheap! :cheer:

LarryEdmonton

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other side of the issue is whether it is ethical from your standpoint to knowingly waste someone's time when you have no intention of buying.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other side of the issue is whether it is ethical from your standpoint to knowingly waste someone's time when you have no intention of buying.

Wyhndham has no problem "wasting my time" making me wait in a second line to pick up a parking pass, while sales types are trying to bribe and lie to other guests to come to an "owners update" which is really a high pressure sales opportunity

That being said DW will not go, I wasn't with her at the last check in (an exchange) which disappointed the WasteGate folks :mad:

geekette

Reaction score
The only issue I have with OPs post is that there is no way that I would ever take salesman's word for how any system works, resort 'rules', etc. If you want info on the resort,that is absolutely not the way to get anything reliable. Great restaurants, etc., sure, but not truthful info as to ownership.

If you go for the gift, no reason to pretend that it's for valuable info. I do agree that there is no reason to be nasty. I usually just smile and nod at the lies. costs me nothing, continues peaceful chat without rancor.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in the days I was learning I would always decline to attend presentations. Then I would pick a time when presentations were not going on and stop by the Sales Office and ask for someone to show me the Units. I would make it clear I wasn't interested in a free gift. I was always accommodated. It didn't take a lot of my time, I didn't get the hard sell speil, and I learned a lot just talking to the Sales Person as we wandered around the Resort.

George

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Ethical, Shmethical.

Shux, the timeshare sellers are knowingly wasting my time by trying to sell me an overpriced product they already know I don't want & won't buy ?

How do they know that in advance ?

Because I made it clear at the outset.

When the nice lady in the lobby invites me to have breakfast or lunch, free, & hear about opportunities to enhance the value of my vacation experience (etc.), & receive a nice gift, with no obligation, I always decline on the grounds that I already have all the timeshares I want & besides I get'm all resale from eBay.

"Oh, we don't care about that," the nice lady says. "We just want you to come have breakfast or lunch as our guest & tour the property & learn about our program. We don't care whether you buy anything."

Well OK then. If I care to, I'll sign up just for the freebies.

Then if some pseudo-irate timeshare seller has the temerity to ask why I'm wasting his time by attending the presentation when I have no intention of buying, I'll honestly recount the conversation I had with the nice lady.

"Why am I here? I'm here because your marketing representative invited me to attend a no-obligation presentation & receive a nice gift. That's why I'm here. Not only that, before accepting the invitation I plainly explained that I was not going to buy anything because I have all the timeshares I want & I got'm all resale from eBay. The nice lady who invited me said that's OK. You got a problem with that?"

If necessary I can stand up & raise my voice & start waving my arms. So far that has not been necessary.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think the olde saying "do others before they do you applies"

Very, very, very few pople go to a TS pressentation planning on buying. Developers realize they have to pay a bribe to get warm bodies and accept that 1 in say 15/20 will be scammed into buying.

Virtually all the posts here from people wanting out state they had no plans on buying but weasels got them.

It is simply a game!

Flip side, people don't go to Vegas to lose money and Casinos are happy to accomodate them and don't mind paying out around 3-4% to a fortunate few!

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
"ME:: Why does Wyndham have "F" rating with BBB!"

Wow! I checked BBB and this is true! I did not know that! I checked out other hotel branded names and they were passing grades. What is the story behind this?

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Resemble That Remark.

I usually just smile and nod at the lies.
Me too -- in a polite & non-committal way, adding a minimal slow rolling motion to my slight nod, indicating neither agreement nor disagreement with whatever the timeshare seller might be saying at the time, but just displaying body language suggesting I'm at least partly paying attention.

There's no use in disputing anything the timeshare sellers say. That only prolongs the encounter. No sense in delaying the trip to the freebies window any more than necessary.

geekette

Reaction score
"ME:: Why does Wyndham have "F" rating with BBB!"

Wow! I checked BBB and this is true! I did not know that! I checked out other hotel branded names and they were passing grades. What is the story behind this?

Don't know for sure, but their habit of not securing credit card info scores an F with me.