• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare document in case I die

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I finally did it. I made a document outlining our timeshare ownerships and detailing the information necessary for someone to be able to deal with them in case I am incapacitated or dead.

Over the last few months since my father passed away I have compiled various documents I feel will make handling my death easier for whoever must do it. So I have written up not just the will and trust which we did years ago but also instructions for my funeral and some of the other odds and ends. I don't want people wondering what I wanted or wondering how to handle things.

In case you're thinking of doing something similar, I have written up a brief outline:

• Name of resort
  • Description of resort (something that can be copied and pasted into a 'for sale' ad)
  • Description of our ownership including important numbers and names (ex 'fixed week, flex unit; ownership number xx1234567; contract includes day use)
  • How to reserve (ex call 123-456-7890 and use member number 4321)
  • Description of how we acquired it and it's financial value (ex 'bought on eBay for $500' similar ownerships are selling now for $200')
  • Some possible exit strategies (ex: sell on Redweek, deed back to HOA, give away for free on TUG, let it go to foreclosure)
My document also includes an overview of timeshares, link to TUG for more info, description of RCI and login info, and multiple warnings " NEVER pay an up-front fee for the disposal or sale of a timeshare!"

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a good idea to do that. I did something similar a few years back, including listing the names and contact info for those who I recommend to use to sell for the sellable ones. I will need to update my file soon. I had probably 6 timeshares when I made the file, only have a couple now.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Good stuff, Bella. Thanks for the good reminder. Something to add to the estate planning list.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
That is an absolutely excellent suggestion. I handle everything, my husband has not a clue, just tells people what a great job I do. He probably couldn't tell you everything we own, where, and how many points. I do tell our son various aspects and how I do things as he will be the one to manage the ownership if something happens to me. However even he doesn't know the full scope of what we own and how to use everything. He is fairly knowledgeable about using Wyndham but doesn't know much at all about how to use the RCI points we get from the other resorts we own at.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
great job! it is refreshing to see owners be proactive on this matter (and not falling for the "your kids will be stuck with this forever when you die!" line)!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I chuckled at the "in case I die".

As it's been said, no one gets out of here alive. ;)
Haha, yes, well I haven't mentioned this before but I'm actually a vampire. hahaha.
Yes, I should have written "when I die."

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got rid of my timeshares, sold one vacant lot, down to three houses and two vacant lots. I handled closing four estates, someone else can do mine.. I have will, trust, Yada yada yada. Gave my son instructions on what to do with financial stuff. Don't care what they do with me after I am gone, just take care of their father if he goes after me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Thank you for posting this. I have been planning to do this for years, but so far have only jotted down a few notes. Hopefully this will motivate us to use your suggestions and finish the task. It would be so hard for kids or others who don't understand timeshares to know how to handle them.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the 'let it go to foreclosure' is a good one to highlight--make sure they know they don't have to accept this as an inheritance.
Great thing you're doing for your family!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
This is useful, not only for TS's, but for all assets+accounts (incl. online accounts).
I have a spreadsheet w/account #'s, websites and instructions for managing.
Hopefully, this will keep executors & heirs from asking, "What am I dealing with?"
I keep a hard-copy with my will.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is useful, not only for TS's, but for all assets+accounts.......I have a spreadsheet w/account #'s, websites and instructions for managing.
Hopefully, this will keep executors & heirs from asking, "What am I dealing with?"

I have done the same thing for the same reason. I have a 3 ring notebook with probably 60 pages detailing all my financial stuff. At one time I had 5 or 6 pages dedicated to my TimeShare Weeks but now that they are gone the pages dedicated to them are gone also.

George

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something happened to someone I know that fits in with being prepared for death of one partner. We live in a large community south of fort Myers that is like a resort with golf course, pools, etc. many couples have different last names. I played golf with such a lady a week ago Tuesday. She talked about being with john for fifteen years, she was lonely after her husband died, they got along so well, he owned the condo here, she owned the house on cape cod, he was ill, he wasn't doing well, his family loved her, she loved his family. This Tuesday he died. By Wednesday she was packing her things to move out on orders from his daughter. In the obituary she is listed as his caretaker. Whoa what a slap in the face. Plus we have just reached the end of the season, at least half are heading north for the summer. This is not the time to put anything on the market. There is no reason for his family to treat her like this.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
[Edited in light of non-spouse info. Confused by reference to "her husband."]

Children often have no use for new partners/spouses. They are seen as a gold-diggers out to deprive children of their right to the assets of their parent.

In Florida, a surviving spouse (even in a 2nd-8th marriage) is entitled to both an elective share in the estate, and to homestead real estate under the Florida Constitution and Statutes.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something happened to someone I know that fits in with being prepared for death of one partner. We live in a large community south of fort Myers that is like a resort with golf course, pools, etc. many couples have different last names. I played golf with such a lady a week ago Tuesday. She talked about being with john for fifteen years, she was lonely after her husband died, they got along so well, he owned the condo here, she owned the house on cape cod, he was ill, he wasn't doing well, his family loved her, she loved his family. This Tuesday he died. By Wednesday she was packing her things to move out on orders from his daughter. In the obituary she is listed as his caretaker. Whoa what a slap in the face. Plus we have just reached the end of the season, at least half are heading north for the summer. This is not the time to put anything on the market. There is no reason for his family to treat her like this.

Re: Talent's input, I see no rapmarks reference to "spouse" (which makes all the difference) but only a non-specific reference to "partner".
The distinction between the two is of course critically important in this matter, legally speaking. As you know, a "partner" will likely have no legal standing, unless specifically addressed beforehand in valid and appropriately witnessed legal documents.

I hope this woman is not just blindly kowtowing to "direction" from an aggressive (and apparently quite insensitive) daughter without at least first having a clear understanding of her own legal status (which may very well be one of having no legal standing at all in the matter). :ponder:

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not married, and apparently he left everything to his daughter

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We also live in Florida but on the other side of the State near Fort Lauderdale. I've heard similar stories. Not too long ago I was talking to someone who was the designated person to make medical decisions for her significant other of many years. And he had been hers and they had both put in writing their wishes for their treatment and care. His family showed up, overrode her decisions and his wishes and basically treated her like crap. But luckily for her they had their wills/estates set up so that his family will just have to wait until she dies to get their hands on the house to sell it and get the money from it.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Terrible to have to deal with her grief, and the situation too.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Last edited:

joybeckerley1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I finally did it. I made a document outlining our timeshare ownerships and detailing the information necessary for someone to be able to deal with them in case I am incapacitated or dead.

Over the last few months since my father passed away I have compiled various documents I feel will make handling my death easier for whoever must do it. So I have written up not just the will and trust which we did years ago but also instructions for my funeral and some of the other odds and ends. I don't want people wondering what I wanted or wondering how to handle things.

In case you're thinking of doing something similar, I have written up a brief outline:

• Name of resort
  • Description of resort (something that can be copied and pasted into a 'for sale' ad)
  • Description of our ownership including important numbers and names (ex 'fixed week, flex unit; ownership number xx1234567; contract includes day use)
  • Description of how we acquired it and it's financial value (ex 'bought on eBay for $500' similar ownerships are selling now for $200')
  • Some possible exit strategies (ex: sell on Redweek, deed back to HOA, give away for free on TUG, let it go to foreclosure)
My document also includes an overview of timeshares, link to TUG for more info, description of RCI and login info, and multiple warnings " NEVER pay an up-front fee for the disposal or sale of a timeshare!"

We have had such a great time with our Marriotts thru the Destination program that I did the same....made a "handbook" of how to use it. One caution is that I have been advised that if your children inherit your Marriott timeshares unless they are in a trust they are not eligible for the destinations (vacation club) points program. I had to change all of my properties titles to be in the trust! Thanks! jb

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
One caution is that I have been advised that if your children inherit your Marriott timeshares unless they are in a trust they are not eligible for the destinations (vacation club) points program. I had to change all of my properties titles to be in the trust! Thanks! jb

I have the understanding that a legacy Marriott TS unit in the Destination Club (DC) can be transferred at death to a child and maintain the DC status (i.e. points) regardless of the type of ownership of the decedent (meaning personally owned or owned in a Trust). That said, though, that if time share units are owned in states other than where the decedent was domiciled at his or her death a trust makes it much much easier to transfer deeds to kids than opening a probate administration in each state where a time share ownership or deed is located.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been working on updating my will now that my husband has died. I own a TS week in Florida. I have discussed this with my brother whom will be handling my estate and is the beneficiary of my estate. He does not want the time share week. I own it free and clear. Can I state in my will that it is to be returned to the resort period? This way my brother would not have to do anything other than send the resort the deed, a copy of my death certificate and my will stating the timeshare is to be returned to them.

Suzanne

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I have been working on updating my will now that my husband has died. I own a TS week in Florida. I have discussed this with my brother whom will be handling my estate and is the beneficiary of my estate. He does not want the TS. I own it free and clear. Can I state in my will that it is to be returned to the resort period?

You can... but they don't have to accept it. No one does.
If someone sent you a deed to a toxic waste dump, what would you do?

IMHO, the better approach is to say something like this:
"... However, if no beneficiary of this bequest elects to accept it within 60 days of my death, I authorize and direct my [executor] to sell, give away or abandon the same at any cost thereof, at his or her sole discretion." ... as I have done.

Cary

Reaction score

• Name of resort

Very good article. I will pass the information on to my readers on my website.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can... but they don't have to accept it. No one does.
If someone sent you a deed to a toxic waste dump, what would you do?

IMHO, the better approach is to say something like this:
"... However, if no beneficiary of this bequest elects to accept it within 60 days of my death, I authorize and direct my [executor] to sell, give away or abandon the same at any cost thereof, at his or her sole discretion." ... as I have done.

Thank you for your help. Your wording is much better than what I was stating.

Suzanne