• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tiered Maint fees [Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, Surfside Beach SC]

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
hey guys
not sure is you are reffering me.. I did talk with you about a unit last year but was able to do the deal at that time.. (had to sell a condo myself which did sell in dec last year :)

We did make the meeting last year and got good info on MF writeoffs they are experiencing. Also the developer was doing something with the units, selling for points and paying something on MF it was indicated. In other words it was helping the deal.

this tiered program is a ruse of some sort. somehow the devolper has figured a way to make more money off the deal I bet..

any who, hope you are well
PS we are in Raleigh area.

Carl lives near there, I cannot remember exactly where. I just sold a week to him a few months ago. He owns others, too, with his wife and daughters. I think he might go to the meeting.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I sold a unit to a Carl and Carol Hughes, and they said they lived near there. I guess I thought it was you, Carl. Kind of funny!

Maybe I can ask them if they are going to the meeting.

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tiered MF's make sense but nearly impossible to implement once the property has been sold.

I agree with other posters that I would be furious if my resort tiered my MF's cause some idiot signed up for a timeshare in the offseason and they don't think it is fair that the prime fixed week and their low demand week pay the same MF's.

I agree they shouldn't pay the same MF's but once you buy into the resort, you are essentially buying into those low MF. It is basic finance 101 and unless you plan on returning folks purchase prices, I don't see how you can change the MF's to tier them.

One possible solution is once the resort owns them that they can resell them with lower MF. But that has drawbacks as well.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Too funny,,
Us Carl's seem to run in herds. :banana:

I will be going to meeting we are in HOA V (5) 1 of 18 for Presidential Villa's

If anyone wants a budget from last year let me know. I have that and the annual meetings minutes from 2012.

was sorry to see your week go.. we enjoy the place and wished we could have done the deal with you guys.:hi:

anywho, maybe we see you in MB that weekend.

carl in NC

I sold a unit to a Carl and Carol Hughes, and they said they lived near there. I guess I thought it was you, Carl. Kind of funny!

Maybe I can ask them if they are going to the meeting.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Condomium Conventants and Restrictions - the rules under which the development was built and to be run by.

I was able to get them from resort if any is interested. Also got by laws and master deed.

send me pm

glenmore

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you please post any pertinent info once you look them over!

Dandc3

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's Pines at Meadowridge in Fraser, CO. It was set up as tiered 32 years ago, but the board is trying to change it. I believe ski week owners pay about $700 per week, blue week owners pay $220 per week or so, and summer weeks pay $480. These are two bedrooms, two baths and need a serious kitchen remodel, in my opinion.

Big difference!

Last edited:

glenmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone planning on going to the meeting in March?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I believe Carl is. Carl, I would like to give you my proxies. I hope others do the same.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you please post any pertinent info once you look them over!

Many thanks to Carl for getting these. Here's the link to a google docs folder containing copies of the Master Deed, Bylaws, and Declarations.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9DYFoGJID5fSmpqUWY3bHBzcmc&usp=sharing

I had made note of several items when I first got it from Carl. Unfortunately, I'm out doing what we're all supposed to do with TS's and that's travelling. I'm currently in Daytona Beach, then going over to New Orleans for some of Mardi Gras. I won't be back home to access my notes till the later in February.

Some of my recollections.

1. As long as the developer has any units, he can appoint the Directors. Seems like it will be a developer run board forever then. There's a total of 3 directors on the board.
2. Either a majority of the board or a majority of owners present and voting can pass a resolution
3. No mention of supermajority needed for anything.
4. Obviously they are subject to SC laws on condos and timeshares.
5. My take on looking at those laws was that fees had to be pro-rated amongst the owners. Seems that would shut the door on this, but's that's only my layman's impression.
6. I seem to remember something about a quorum being 51% of owners present (proxies included, I guess). I'm not positive about this one, as it would be hard then to imagine ever getting a quorum

Hopefully someone can make more sense of this than me.

glenmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you received a proxy in the mail? I have not and I own a timeshare unit as well as one-fourth of a condo at Plantation Resort.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe Carl is. Carl, I would like to give you my proxies. I hope others do the same.

Yes we are going.. we are in HOA V or (5) not sure i can vote proxy for other HOA's

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who went to the Meeting?

Is anyone there this weekend to update us on the "vote" with the developer owning all those blue weeks? I already know the answer, but would love to hear more details.

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Is anyone there this weekend to update us on the "vote" with the developer owning all those blue weeks? I already know the answer, but would love to hear more details.

What was the answer??

glenmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why can't I see posts on this thread past February? Did anyone go to the meeting? We were unable to attend

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
plantation resort HOA meeting

I was at the meeting and no action was taken at this time. This, for the most part was to put the info out and see how the people in the room liked or disliked it and to have some discussions on what was going on.

One idea was add 20 dollars on summer weeks and reduce blue by $80. The cost to maintain unit in summer is higher than winter with the difference appx $100 per unit per week. There was a good amount of info put out by Dave Nelson of PR. According to "them" the amount of blue weeks behind or delinquent is appx 40ish%. There is traffic in the area during Thanksgiving and Christmas but till March is slow.

In fall you see traffic in forms of golfers and the resort is able to rent days, weeks during that time that show as income to resort. The resort has good deals with 8 nice courses but no real stay play packages like other resorts.

I myself have gone on good packages in december with room, meals and golf for good prices at other resorts.

March sees a lot of candians coming in and golf courses are, at least the ones we called, busting at them seams with players.

Overall it was a good meeting.
if you were not there WHY not.. i know for some its a long haul, lucky for us it's 3 hrs drive.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I was at the meeting and no action was taken at this time. This, for the most part was to put the info out and see how the people in the room liked or disliked it and to have some discussions on what was going on.

One idea was add 20 dollars on summer weeks and reduce blue by $80. The cost to maintain unit in summer is higher than winter with the difference appx $100 per unit per week. There was a good amount of info put out by Dave Nelson of PR. According to "them" the amount of blue weeks behind or delinquent is appx 40ish%. There is traffic in the area during Thanksgiving and Christmas but till March is slow.

In fall you see traffic in forms of golfers and the resort is able to rent days, weeks during that time that show as income to resort. The resort has good deals with 8 nice courses but no real stay play packages like other resorts.

I myself have gone on good packages in december with room, meals and golf for good prices at other resorts.

March sees a lot of candians coming in and golf courses are, at least the ones we called, busting at them seams with players.

Overall it was a good meeting.
if you were not there WHY not.. i know for some its a long haul, lucky for us it's 3 hrs drive.

Carl, after attenting the meeting are you ready to run from this resort or do you feel it's still a good place to own? I'm asking because a couple TUGGERS have offerd units on the bargain deals for this resort.

glenmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will throw in my opinion if you don't mind.

We own one-fourth of a condo there as well as a timeshare. We have been an owner for 8 years. The resort is well managed and well maintained. We love the area, known as "Surfside, the Family Beach" because it is low key and many people actually live there. It is not mainly rentals in Surfside Beach.

The beaches are great and it is close to Market Commons. Just a short drive to Murrells Inlet. We plan to own there for many years to come.

Had hoped to make the meting but unexpected surgery on a grandson took us in another direction (he is fine now). Glad you made the meeting and thanks for the info.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I will throw in my opinion if you don't mind.

We own one-fourth of a condo there as well as a timeshare. We have been an owner for 8 years. The resort is well managed and well maintained. We love the area, known as "Surfside, the Family Beach" because it is low key and many people actually live there. It is not mainly rentals in Surfside Beach.

The beaches are great and it is close to Market Commons. Just a short drive to Murrells Inlet. We plan to own there for many years to come.

Had hoped to make the meting but unexpected surgery on a grandson took us in another direction (he is fine now). Glad you made the meeting and thanks for the info.

I'm glad your grandson is fine, way more important than anything here in Timeshare World.

My previous question was directed at owning at this resort and it's many HOAs, not the Surfside Beach area, I do like the area.

My questions are moot because I've decided not to pursue ownership at this resort. With the large number of HOAs, each representing a small number of units, the developer will probably control things for a long time to come.

I prefer an owner controlled board interested in keeping fees reasonable and not in generating profits for itself.

Last edited:

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Carl!!!

Thank you for the update. I was expecting a greater difference than $20 for summer weeks, which I have no problem with. Was there any discussion on opening up reservations to owners at a discount within 30 days? (Or something similar to add benefits to Blue week owners?)

However, I doubt an $80 drop in fees will reduce the number of blue week owned by the HOA...:shrug:

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
that was my thinking as well.

one question i had which is hard to get an answer was with all the different HOA how is the amount of stuff, elec, water, etc decided. I am not sure if each building has it own meter or not.

something i was wonder, and you guy at other resorts may have more info, the amount of MF for 2 building or 20 units according to this years summary for 2012 totals $673,710.00 TO me that sound like a lot but i have no other resort numbers to compare this too. Our MF at now $720 dollars are not out of line with resort of this size and amenities.

any thought on that.. ??

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deleted post. The answer was already posted.

Last edited:

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know it been a while but wanted to get this update out..

We returned from a "Owners VIP Weekend" and had a blast. We got a 2 bedroom unit on site, one side of the Presidential Villa units. Check in on Fri was at 2 pm with a wine and cheese and other finger foods at the check in desk.

We were given a nice VIP tag with lanyard. Our plan was to check in around 3 but due to a stop off and fricken traffic we did not make it till almost 5.

After checking into we got the itinerary of events which included that night riding in the resorts Shuttle busses to a sit down dinner and tour of Ripley's Aquarium at Broadway at the Beach.. If you have not visited I highly suggest it.. The "Shark Tunnel" was great. Slow moving sidewalk through the giant aquarium was amazing. The food was excellent and a great time meeting some other owners from around the area.

Some of the owners came from PA, SC, NC and VA I believe.. There were about 40 total.

There are pictures and videos on Plantation Resorts Facebook page.

On Sat we were treated to a breakfast and were scheduled for a the "Owners Update" at 9 am.. Of course this is the ole we want to sell you more deal.. We listened and declined the offer. I know of a couple of owners that took them up on the deal.. :ignore:
It still amazes me how people do not check out stuff on timeshare on the internet.. I mentioned this site to a couple of owners as the place to get more info.

Saturday day we drove around and check out some of my old hangouts when i lived in MB during the 80's, Vanna White's brother Chip was the DJ at a resort I worked at during that time.. got to meet her and her friends from Calif.. :p

That afternoon we again boarded busses and headed to Medieval Times for dinner and jousting. After the event we hang around in seats and got picture of group with all the cast.. I am in upper row with red shirt on. guess they caught me adjusting my "crown" it appears.

Sunday morning breakfast was delivered to the room with bagels, cream cheese, blueberry muffins coffee, apples oranges etc.. plus at check in there was a nice basket of fruit and water in reffer. It was a nice time all for only $149 for the both of us.. That about covered the cost of stuff for the most part. amazingly the medieval times venue was almost full of patrons. I was quite surprised to see that, but in remember traffic on the way in I think the beach was 1/2 or so full..

Now for the update..

We were staying in a unit just off the end building. In the end unit the guys were doing some renovations. The countertop in kitchen, and both bath room was replace with granite, the carpet on floor was removed and all the old tile and replace with new tile all the way through unit. there was a nice design piece in the front sitting area on the floor in tile to break up the design and it look nice.

Same for the hotel unit, new counter tops and furnishings it looked like. They were in the middle of construction when i was chatting with the guy doing the work. He was a PR employee not contractor.

The mirrors were being fitted with a nice trim to upgrade the look, new light fixtures, new couch, chairs, and furniture was being replaced i believe he was saying and there was furniture in plastic wrap as well.

My understanding is all the end units both up and down will be redone. The upper will keep carpet in place and maybe replaced as needed.. same with appliances.. I was hoping to get new SS appliances to help upgrade the place a bit more. have to see how that goes..

I guess this sorta explains the $179,000 line item in 2016 budget info we got in march as "Improvement Projects".. the amount last year was $36,000 That kicks the MF up from $756 to $792. When i bought my unit in June of 2012 the MF was $645.

see pictures at http://www.chimneykeepers.com/?p=1283 the back splash is actually formica not granite..

glenmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Carl. We had been invited but were not able to attend. Plantation Resort does an excellent job of keeping the amenities, landscape, and units in very good order. We enjoy our time there very much.