• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thunderbird Club QM- what to do

joellg

Reaction score
Hello there. I was given a timeshare back in 2008 by my parents. Its a silver Club QM resort membership at the Thunderbird resort in Reno, and also am an Interval Int. member. I wish I had never gotten this waste of money, and I never would have if Id had known it was gonna be impossible to get rid of. I used it 2 times, and havent used it since 2009 I believe. I put it on Triwest 2 years ago, and is for sale for $1. I talked to Greg at triwest, and he says Im not a deeded owner, just a club QM member.
So, A:What happens next, since I have no deed, it shouldnt be a "foreclosure" right? Its just a membership, so I dont think the credit hit should be too bad....?
B:What other options do I have? I called the resort, and they said something about not doing buybacks now, but also said something about giving them $3000 to do so. (Sorry, very unclear why she told me about the $3000)
Im so over this. Its been almost 3 years of trying to get rid of this total waste of space. Any help would be appreciated.
Joel

joellg

Reaction score
I appreciate the link. Although Im very certain this timeshare isn't wanted by anyone. If it's not a forclosure, any idea on how bad my credit will be hit?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
possibly the same as any other foreclosure or loan default....but since you mention there is no deed involved, it could be much less.

we tend to suggest pushing back more aggressively on the HOA/developer to work out a deal to relinquish your ownership (assuming its paid off).

since there is no actual deed involved here, and its just a membership...im sure there is likely a middle ground you can come to to end your ownership between you defaulting...and paying them $3k.

(note I certainly wouldnt pay anyone 3k to end a non-deeded membership ownership)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I appreciate the link. Although Im very certain this timeshare isn't wanted by anyone. If it's not a forclosure, any idea on how bad my credit will be hit?

You might be surprised - if you pay for the title transfer (usually about $150) and sweeten the pot with the 2017 maintenance fee you may find a taker.

But when you write your Ad, you want to be honest, but positive.

Reno is a popular destination, and someone might love to have a free timeshare there.

***I have actually given away a timeshare myself that was no more desirable than this. It took me 6 mos., and I had it posted on TUG, Craigslist, and Redweek, but I finally found someone who wanted it.

Last edited:

joellg

Reaction score
Well, I owe about 2 years of membership fees, around $2000, and the next years' dues are on Jan 1st. Its been for sale on Triwest since November 2014. Im so frustrated, and so done with it. Ill wait to talk to the accounting department tomorrow, and unless they can make an agreement well under the $3000 number, then Ill just have to let my credit take a hit. My score now is around 820, so hopefully it doesnt do a whole lot of damage.
I regret buying this every single day. I wish I would have known.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well, a default of thousands of dollars is certainly more likely to negatively impact your credit than simply not continuing to pay your annual membership dues.

joellg

Reaction score
well, a default of thousands of dollars is certainly more likely to negatively impact your credit than simply not continuing to pay your annual membership dues.
The thousands of dollars IS from simply not paying membership dues. This thing was paid off long before I was gifted it. I dont really understand your post...please elaborate. Im under the assumption that my credit will get hit a little, but not as much as if it were a full foreclosure.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
being paid in full and informing them that you wish to cancel your membership and wont be submitting payment on 2017 membership fees is one thing...

already owing them thousands of dollars in past payment (ie already being delinquent) is another matter.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its possible that the reason the resort is asking for $3000 to accept the deed back request is that is payment for delinquent fees etc. Most timeshare companies wont accept a deed back request without being current on maintenance fees etc.

Not all resorts will report delinquencies to credit reporting agencies. However, many will. If it is just reported as late payments your credit will take a hit but wont be too bad. However, if you continue to default on payments and the resort turns it over to a collections agency who reports it to the credit agencies your credit will take a huge hit. Your credit file will list an account in collections which will severely damage your credit. You will have a very hard, if not impossible time getting any type of credit with a collection listed on your file.

I'd contact the resort, explain financial hardship and try to work something out with them.

joellg

Reaction score
Its possible that the reason the resort is asking for $3000 to accept the deed back request is that is payment for delinquent fees etc. Most timeshare companies wont accept a deed back request without being current on maintenance fees etc.

Not all resorts will report delinquencies to credit reporting agencies. However, many will. If it is just reported as late payments your credit will take a hit but wont be too bad. However, if you continue to default on payments and the resort turns it over to a collections agency who reports it to the credit agencies your credit will take a huge hit. Your credit file will list an account in collections which will severely damage your credit. You will have a very hard, if not impossible time getting any type of credit with a collection listed on your file.

I'd contact the resort, explain financial hardship and try to work something out with them.
Thanks, I will definitely call them today. The calls from collections have started already. Ill see if I can make a deal with them. They quoted me $3000 before even knowing who I was or that I had late payments.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well if you already owe 2k or so, the offer of 3k to end your ownership doesnt quite sound so bad.

joellg

Reaction score
Its all good. After 3 times talking to the wrong person, finally got a lady with titles and records. I actually only owed the collection agency 1200, and she agreed to terminate the club membership-in writing-for $1300 total. So, lesson learned, its worth $2500 to me to not get my credit wrecked, and to get rid of this scam of a timeshare forever. Thanks for all the advice.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id run your credit first, if you have already been turned over to collections...you may have already taken the hit.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Its all good. After 3 times talking to the wrong person, finally got a lady with titles and records. I actually only owed the collection agency 1200, and she agreed to terminate the club membership-in writing-for $1300 total. So, lesson learned, its worth $2500 to me to not get my credit wrecked, and to get rid of this scam of a timeshare forever. Thanks for all the advice.

Congratulations. At least now you don't need to worry about paying MF's going forward.

We were fortunate several years ago that they took out deed back. Fortunately, we got our value out of our ownership as we learned how to maximize our ownership. However, the lower quality level of the resort led to us wanting to get rid of it.

Good luck with your future vacation plans.

Mike