• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

This is why I love my Marriott timeshare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I could have bought a $1 timeshare with MF's half of what I'm paying and still have gone to KoOlina, Waiohai & Maui Ocean Club during the prime summer season and stayed in a 2BR units? I could have planned all this a year in advance so that I could get the exact dates I needed to match my families schedule and get the good air fares?

Oh yeah, and Westin Ka'anapali as well? (traded with a Tugger)

I tried to trade my 3BR Christie Lodge into KoOlina but the trade came through instead using one of my other Marriott's. hmmm?

I did trade my CL into Legends Edge once, does that count the same.

Damn I must be stupid. :wall:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So I could have bought a $1 timeshare with MF's half of what I'm paying and still have gone to KoOlina, Waiohai & Maui Ocean Club during the prime summer season and stayed in a 2BR units? I could have planned all this a year in advance so that I could get the exact dates I needed to match my families schedule and get the good air fares?

Oh yeah, and Westin Ka'anapali as well? (traded with a Tugger)

I tried to trade my 3BR Christie Lodge into KoOlina but the trade came through instead using one of my other Marriott's. hmmm?

I did trade my CL into Legends Edge once, does that count the same.

Damn I must be stupid. :wall:

No, not stupid (if you meant it seriously - I bet you didn't) but not using the timeshare processes such as trade and rental to your best advantage. No doubt it can be easier (although as recent postings show not THAT easy to get what you want) as an owner - but still no guarantees. It is now very easy to look for a rental - and specify exactly what resort/time/even view - and get it for the annual fees or just slightly more. Trades have less ability to get that specific but date & resort is still doable. And those tend to be below annual fees by a good amount.

The fallacy that you can't get the prime times just isn't true. In fact savvy owners purposely get the best times - especially for rentals but trade as well- as they are the easiest to rent & carry the best trade value. And thats why other owners tend to have a tough time getting them to use. It's the pros that really know the game that snatch them up early.

There is a comfort level in owning but it comes at a very steep cost. Too much for us especially when we found we could stay where & when we wanted without owning. Ironically it was the sales weasels insistence that we couldn't do that - even as we sat and listened in the very resort/unit "we couldn't get" that convinced us buying wasn't necessary. After that we stayed at every Marriott & Hilton we wanted to visit all in holiday / non-school times. Now we've tired of those limited locations and really are glad we don't own & have to deal with renting or trading them. we did love our stays though. They ae very nice resorts in most cases.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Just rent. You'll save lots of money.

It's good for the carbon footprint.

Come on......can't you start your own thread??!!! ;)

We're trying to be happy Marriott owners here.....(not always easy).

Did I mention the stunning sunset view from my balcony?

Or that I've taken the same picture from the exact spot 3 years running to see if the trees are still growing? (they are full grown)

Or that there is a "jump spot" by the Lahaina Villas pool where my son likes to climb and jump (not dive) into deepest part of the pool

Or that I was out sitting on a chaise lounge with my lovely wife (on the night before we had to go) -- and the sprinklers came on?

Or that I left the sliding glass door open (which we saw while parasailing) and when we came back, there was a bird on my computer (and bird poop all over the screen). He'd even nibbled on the cantalope (sp?).

Or that I invented the Tibber Tai for a lower-sugar tropical drink? (Diet Hansen's Tangerine Lime and Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum)

Or that we play freeze tag on the Lahaina Villas lawn every year?

Maui No Kai Oi......today I love my Marriotts!

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeos2, you're such a buzz kill. Granted, I'm ecstatic that I was able to renege on my Marriott TS after completing the purchase, especially once I later learned that I can easily get there during the times when I'm able to travel on exchange with my cheapie Orlando trader. However, I see a lot of fantastic reasons for owners to love their Marriott. Marriott is a top notch management company. And the more the owners love their Marriott TSs, the happier they are in ponying up their inflated MFs to keep those properties in 5-star shape so that traders like myself can feast on their timeshare crumbs like a king.

So let's stop denigrating and start celebrating. I love that you love your Marriott TS!!!!!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
John, yes, anyone could simply rent 2BR Marriott or Starwood units in Hawaii and never even own a single timeshare, but two years ago that would have been a very costly option that the normal family simply would not have followed through with. Now, with economic issues and higher air fares creating cheaper rentals, it is more feasible.

Trading into those same weeks, then and now, is all but impossible unless you own a Marriott or a Starwood. I agree that premium weeks are indeed reserved by Marriott owners and deposited, but those same premium units have a waiting list by other Marriott owners, which is why I could not get one using a 3BR ski week using an independent timeshare.

Simply put, I would never have taken my family on these types of trips had it not been for discovering timesharing first and Marriott second. Neither would I have ever gone on a first class European second honeymoon had I not been introduced to Marriott.

Maybe, just maybe, we would have vacationed in a different way, like mountain climbing or cycling, that would have been just as fun. That part I don't know. :)

Now time to start planning my 2013 vacation. Let's celebrate :D

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Come on......can't you start your own thread??!!! ;)

No need to start his own, there is a cr@p on Marriott thread already :rolleyes: .

Timeos2, you're such a buzz kill. So let's stop denigrating and start celebrating. I love that you love your Marriott TS!!!!!

I agree, there are certain people who seem to make it their goal to bring everything down all while trying to make their point. Enough already, let it go, we have heard it a zillion times.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will add a couple more reasons.
1. At my Spanish marriotts we get Hotel style housekeeping EVERY DAY. Beds made, dishwasher loaded and run. Full clean of the villa twice per week and a tidy every day.

2. At my Phuket Marriott we get the same service except no dishwasher here , instead the housekeeping staff wash all the dishes by hand.

The one time we traded outside of Marriott we were wondering why the beds were not made when we're turned to the villa at the end of the first day.

Maybe it's time that Marriott owners put pressure on our BOD's to invoke some charges for non-Marriott freeloaders and charge for all those nice extras that we pay for.

I'm writing this lying by the pool at PBC - peak season weeks - Chinese New Year - absolutely no way to trade in unless you have Marriott owner privilege and to rent you need more than $500 per day.

Finally I know I paid a lot of money for my weeks but then I can afford it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Maybe it's time that Marriott owners put pressure on our BOD's to invoke some charges for non-Marriott freeloaders and charge for all those nice extras that we pay for.

You now just opened up another can of worms with Mr. Chase.:doh:

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I will add a couple more reasons.
1. At my Spanish marriotts we get Hotel style housekeeping EVERY DAY. Beds made, dishwasher loaded and run. Full clean of the villa twice per week and a tidy every day.

2. At my Phuket Marriott we get the same service except no dishwasher here , instead the housekeeping staff wash all the dishes by hand.

The one time we traded outside of Marriott we were wondering why the beds were not made when we're turned to the villa at the end of the first day.

I'm writing this lying by the pool at PBC - peak season weeks - Chinese New Year - absolutely no way to trade in unless you have Marriott owner privilege and to rent you need more than $500 per day.

Finally I know I paid a lot of money for my weeks but then I can afford it.

So you want to be DVC/Manhattan Club? Don't even think about it - unless you want your scores to plummet!

As for freeloaders - everyone pays their fees and gives up their week(s). Thats all the traders ask for and all you'll ever get. We can't help that you pay a 33% average premium to have a name on your letterhead - the units themselves are very comparable. We know because we get scores & comments from Marriott visitors (Heavens - they are "slumming"!) that are top of the chart. We've even seen comments like " as nice as my Marriott/Hilton" - whatever. Guess they know quality when they see it, huh?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
thank you! ownership matters to me...

I'll throw my 2 cents in, too. We've owned since late 90's, and had it not been for that, we'd have missed a lot. Can't even begin to tell you, but those who know, know.

We've been all over the globe, all the while having 3 consecutive weeks at Grande Ocean each June, going on 15 years now. Try renting 3 weeks in June at GO. I'd LOVE to hear those stories, if there are any. I'm quite happy to pay only maintenance fees at this point.

I've heard this same argument ad infinitum for over a decade, and frankly I grow tired of it. We've not only been happy, but extremely happy. My college-aged kids this past summer came up to me and said "Dad, thank you for all these years here......we love it, and we just now are realizing how special it's been...."

I'm not making that up----both daughter and son actually did that independently this past summer. It meant a lot. 'Course they've seen Europe a few times, Caribbean, Hawaii, etc, etc, etc..... all due to Marriott. Most of their friends haven't come remotely close to that. What kids skiied at Park City for 7 years running?

Yep, away at college one tends to see life a little differently. 'Home' and 'family' and 'vacations' tend to mean a whole lot more.

We still go to other places too......a lot.......maybe 12-15 nights a year non-Marriott/non-timeshare spots------ and those are nice, but it's the Marriott timeshare weeks we love.

OWNERSHIP means a lot.

There's a special feeling I get when we drive up and know "this is our home away from home". And the staff knows us all by name. I bring them flowers occasionally.......it's just special, what can I say?

We got exactly what we paid for initially....we bought to occupy (and only occasionally trade), and man, have we occupied! I figure around 58 weeks at Grande Ocean alone (weeks and extra weeks). The DC program took nothing away from us, and the current "devalued timeshare week market" is basically irrelevant to us. We paid to stay, and we stay.

We had 85 nights in 2011 for the Platinum Elite count, so that gives us additional perks too. And we have and continue to use Rewards Points, with over 750,000 available, never once having traded for points------just get them by other means. We use a lot of those each year too, but they get replenished.

So forgive me, too, for being content, even in light of all the new stuff. If I ever meet Bill Marriott, I'll shake his hand. And I'm not un-aware of all that's transpired over the past year or two, as probably 95% of the non-TUG Marriott owners are still clueless.

In fact, I'm wondering why CNN or FOX hasn't called me about my "Occupy Hilton Head" agenda.....

....and I'm also not going to be shocked to see a post on TUG someday about "Why I Rent My Wife". I'll just shake my head.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
You know, as long as everyone is happy with what they own (or don't) why does it matter what someone else thinks? Y'all are never going to change someone else's mind. And in the end it doesn't matter one bit. Enjoy your vacations! :wave:

cwn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love it!

Greg,
Reading your post makes me want to be in your family!!!!!

I love MTS, and Maui, and hope to afford to own some myself and have a family that loves them as much as I do!!!

All,

I get a little depressed every time I see the title of the other thread. So I'm starting one with some positive karma, or whatever you call it.

Some of the reasons why I love my Marriott timeshare:

1. Maui Ocean Club No Ka Oi

2. Marriott's name (and Hilton and Starwood) provide credibility to my timeshare hobby

3. My unit (6206/6205) absolutely rocks -- fantastic view, great living space. Now I need to buy the adjacent fixed weeks :doh:

4. I know I will go to Maui in June every year for the rest of my life (God willing)

5. I build a Maui tradition with my family -- I think my kids will want to go to Maui even later in life

6. I have space for my friends and family to come and stay with me

7. DClub allows me to add additional rooms if I can't wedge them all into 6206/6205

8. My MFs -- relative to what my friends pay at the Kaanapali Alii ($750/night for a 2BR)-- are reasonable

9. My lock-off can get me good space too if I don't bring a friend one year (but I can't request a 1BR in II for my rocking Studio. Grrrrr.......)

10. My other timeshares give me flexibility to take my lovely wife somewhere pretty and warm a couple times a year

11. I can rent excess points to cover some of my MFs

12. I bought a cookie sheet to carry food/wine down to the grill area -- and now every night I am organized when I cook

13. My kids can play on the play area by the grill while I cook

14. My kids are familar enough with MOC that they can wander (within reason) without my constant monitoring

15. DD 9 gets cold in the pool and I can always find her in or near the hot tub (10 minute rule, though...).

16. The shaved ice by the bridge is a bargain

17. The U.S Open is always on while I am there

18. The Keiki Club is fantastic for the children -- as are the other activities like shore fishing and treasure hunt

19. The pirate ship is still cool for 9 year olds with a younger brother

20. The kitchen is nicer than my kitchen at home (well it was, until I got the new appliances)

21. You can take the bar stool outside on the deck and it positions you to look over the rail. You can sit there for hours in the early morning while checking email and surfing on TUG.

22. The sunset view from the balcony is stunning.

23. 4 adults can have dinner on the balcony, where the sunset view is stunning

24. I know I'll be going to MOC in 5 months

25. I know the exact day and time that FF awards load, so I can go again to MOC in 17 months

26. I would never ever ever have done this, if I had to deal with the volatility of condo rentals and airfare costs.

Timeshares -- and Marriott timeshares -- are perfect for me and my family. The memories and the experience are truly priceless.

Best,

Greg

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
You know, as long as everyone is happy with what they own (or don't) why does it matter what someone else thinks? Y'all are never going to change someone else's mind. And in the end it doesn't matter one bit. Enjoy your vacations! :wave:

You are exactly right....it doesn't matter. I've never lost any sleep over what others felt anyway about most anything, even tho I respect their right to their views.

I am of the same opinion as Rhett Butler.

Last edited:

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you want to be DVC/Manhattan Club? Don't even think about it - unless you want your scores to plummet!

As for freeloaders - everyone pays their fees and gives up their week(s). Thats all the traders ask for and all you'll ever get. We can't help that you pay a 33% average premium to have a name on your letterhead - the units themselves are very comparable. We know because we get scores & comments from Marriott visitors (Heavens - they are "slumming"!) that are top of the chart. We've even seen comments like " as nice as my Marriott/Hilton" - whatever. Guess they know quality when they see it, huh?

DVC/Manhatten - god forbid I should ever be tempted!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Here are just s few reasons why we love our Marriott's. :D

KoOlinaview-1.jpg

Maui2-1.jpg

P1011576-1.jpg

Oahu-1.jpg

HinzeFamilyatWaiohai-3.jpg

Europe-1.jpg

Where are those top floor ocean front Beach Place Towers photos? That is something that an exchanger is likely to NEVER see. Heck, we were Marriott owners exchanging in and got a bottom floor intercoastal view. Which for us was actually a garage/parking lot view.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

Most important reason that I love my Marriott Timeshares...

The Marriott Forum here on TUG....:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

p.s reread Greg's opening and I realized that we were both at the Lahaina towers in June, 2008 when Tiger won the US Open on one leg.... I remember watching the playff from the 19th hole at Kapalua...

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are those top floor ocean front Beach Place Towers photos? That is something that an exchanger is likely to NEVER see. Heck, we were Marriott owners exchanging in and got a bottom floor intercoastal view. Which for us was actually a garage/parking lot view.

Which one. :D

DSC03002-1.jpg

BeachPlacephonepic1-2.jpg

DSC03035-1.jpg

It's a Marriott love fest!!

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
My thoughts

A lot of times, renting or exchanging a less expensive TS is a much better alternative then to outright ownership. But as stated before, for people desiring a guaranteed view, the same unit, the same week, prime time ressies, or just more flexibility, there is nothing "stupid" about ownership, even if your paying significantly more in fees compared to the next guy. It is not one size fits all.

Personally, I am not tied to a school schedule, prefer to travel during shoulder season to avoid heavy crowds, and have the flexibility to make last minute plans and leave on a whim (granted I stick my partner with the workload), so the "crumbs" are more than enough for me in addition to my non-ts travels.

When I am on an exchange, and receive a great view, and am paying a 1/3 of what an owner is paying, I dont think of him as "stupid", he may very well have a method to his "madness". what works for me may not work for him, and vice versa.

Owners or exchangers, at least we can all agree that resale is the way to go.

EKniager

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love my platinum Aruba Surf Club week because I know that every year for the rest of my life I can spend a week on a beautiful beach doing absolutely nothing but reading and drinking pina coladas!

P.S.- Did I mention that renting out our lockoff unit in January or February essentially covers the annual MFs?:whoopie: :whoopie: :whoopie:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot of times, renting or exchanging a less expensive TS is a much better alternative then to outright ownership. But as stated before, for people desiring a guaranteed view, the same unit, the same week, prime time ressies, or just more flexibility, there is nothing "stupid" about ownership, even if your paying significantly more in fees compared to the next guy. It is not one size fits all.

Personally, I am not tied to a school schedule, prefer to travel during shoulder season to avoid heavy crowds, and have the flexibility to make last minute plans and leave on a whim...

This is very well stated. Siesta has the kind of travel profile that can make exchanging into top end resorts with lower level TSs very rewarding.

However its not realistic to think you can do the same during peak season and that is where Timeos argument falls short because he suggests that it can be done "exactly the same" as Greg T and I when the truth is it can be done as Siesta does, last minute, shoulder season, smaller units. Not by planning in advance so you get the exact we you NEED for prime season in a OF 2BDRM. Can't be done is Timeos world.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
P.S.- Did I mention that renting out our lockoff unit in January or February essentially covers the annual MFs?:whoopie: :whoopie: :whoopie:

We have done the same several times. The ability to do this in it self is a huge reason Marriotts sell at a premium. No lesser quality TS that I know of can do this.

EKniager

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have done the same several times. The ability to do this in it self is a huge reason Marriotts sell at a premium. No lesser quality TS that I know of can do this.

And yet some TUG'ers insist that we pay a premium for the Marriott name only!:hysterical:

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

This is what is a tad irritating about "name" owners - and it doesn't apply only to Marriott. There is what would appear to a buy in to the sales hype that "only XXXX (fill in the brand name or resort) will be like this". Hogwash. The ownership experience of any good timeshare gets you exactly the same appreciation of great family time together in places you want to visit. There is no special magic in a DVC, Marriott or Hilton that can't also be found at No Name Resort X if it is in the right place and reasonably to outstanding in quality. It's that slight arrogance that somehow it's better because you pay more. All it really means is you didn't find the best value to get the same thing.

I fully understand that a name gives a shortcut to (usually) finding the higher end resorts and often locations but it isn't by any means exclusive to the names. In fact some of the very best resorts aren't names and don't need to be - they stand on their own.

And this post is a prime example. It seems the OP truly believes that only a Marriott can rent a lockoff to cover the annual fees or whatever they are looking for. That couldn't be more wrong. As Boca & others can tell you there are plenty of resorts - name & non-name that can do that consistently. And because the non names have fees way less it's easier to accomplish with less overall investment & annual fees.

I'm really not trying to denigrate Marriott or any other name brand as I know they are usually top notch. I'm merely saying that if you think (or newbies believe) that ONLY name brands offer a great experience in timeshare ownership & use then they are being mislead. By all means pay the premium if that makes you happy but don't think you had to or that by doing so you somehow get better than the savvy $1 buyer or renter can also get. Ultimately we all get the same resorts & units (yes, even the penthouse has been ours with a non-name trade).

I also don't mean to aggravate anyone so I'll let it go now. Hopefully I've presented a valid opposing viewpoint and option for those looking to jump in to timeshares as that is all it really is. I love Marriotts as well - I'm just glad we didn't buy one despite being really tempted twice.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
The stock market must be feeling the love here.

Click the thumbnail for full sized graph of the VAC stock price

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This is what is a tad irritating about "name" owners - and it doesn't apply only to Marriott. ... By all means pay the premium if that makes you happy but don't think you had to or that by doing so you somehow get better than the savvy $1 buyer or renter can also get. Ultimately we all get the same resorts & units (yes, even the penthouse has been ours with a non-name trade).

John, we've been through this. You can't keep misrepresenting the Marriott product in order to bolster your argument that it's not necessary to own a name-brand timeshare to get good timeshare value. ;)

For one thing, owning a Marriott timeshare WILL give you an advantage over non-Marriott owners when exchanging in II to other Marriotts. II and Marriott both put this advantage in writing so you can't deny that it exists. Does it mean that a non-Marriott owner will never be able to exchange into Marriotts? No, of course not, because of the way the exchange game is set up with so many different variables (as well as II's whacky computer system that flakes out every so often and doesn't match ongoing searches when it should. Grrrr.) But the Marriott priority in II does substantially increase the chances that intervals at high-demand resorts or in high-demand seasons will be matched to other Marriott owners.

Aside from the exchange game, though, what you've said that I've bolded above is simply not true. The premium that is paid for a developer-direct Marriott timeshare or enrollment in Marriott's new program DOES get you something better than the less expensive ineligible external resales or non-Marriott resorts. It gets you membership in the related Marriott Rewards customer loyalty program with its extensive hotel network. Some of us make pretty good use of the program to supplement our timeshare stays and get very good value out of that affiliation, and we don't have to exchange our timeshares for that hotel use, either, because it's possible to amass significant MR Points through other means. Now that affiliation may be "worthless" to you because you wouldn't make use of it, but it is entirely incorrect to say that the "savvy $1 buyer or renter" will also get it.

While I'm here, somewhere up in this thread you said that the Marriott premium is 33%. I don't know where you get your numbers from unless you have a spreadsheet detailing every Marriott purchase ever contrasted with every other timeshare purchase ever, and it turns out that 33% is the magic number. If I'm wrong then I'll apologize in advance, but I really don't think you've run the numbers. The Marriott premium is 10% in the MF's - Marriott's management fee is 10% of the individual resorts' Operating Budgets. Above that, you somehow have it in your mind that Marriott consistently overpays vendors, suppliers, maintenance workers, etc in order to pad the OB's so that their 10% is exponentially increased. You insist that because of that padding, non-branded timeshares can be furnished and maintained to the exact same standards of a Marriott at a substantially lower cost. Is it possible that every single cost at every single resort is NOT the absolute lowest that it can be? Sure, of course. But what I see from my two resorts' OB's and annual reports tells me that they're trying to be fiscally responsible - the BOD's there are working hard to contain costs while maintaining the standard, and Marriott management has been supportive of the specific efforts they've made to reduce costs wherever it's possible. So I'm challenging you, John - provide verifiable proof of this padding to Marriott budgets that you rely on to support your argument, or stop making the argument.

I also don't mean to aggravate anyone so I'll let it go now. Hopefully I've presented a valid opposing viewpoint and option for those looking to jump in to timeshares as that is all it really is. I love Marriotts as well - I'm just glad we didn't buy one despite being really tempted twice.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with presenting all viewpoints of timeshare ownership - TUG exists to share knowledge about all aspects of timesharing. And FWIW, I agree with your premise that a non-branded timeshare can be an excellent, high-quality, option, but I don't understand why you feel the need to denigrate Marriott timeshares in order to support the premise. You cheapen your argument by not allowing the premise to stand on its own.

But getting back to the thread, this time I think you really deserve five minutes in the penalty box. Greg made it perfectly clear that he intended this thread to be a celebration of Marriott owners who love their timeshares, specifically because another thread about reasons to hate them was already started. Then here you and others come to rain on the parade. Boo. Boo. Hiss. Bad form.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.