• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Royal Sands....

Leeyoo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking into The Royal Sands TS for a fixed week 12 EOY in Cancun. I've read the reviews and everybody seems to rave about it. Anybody been there? Is it worth it? It appears Cancun is overbuilt with TS. If I wanted to exchange this with II or RCI, would it be a good trade? I'm just concern it won't be since Mexico is overbuilt.

As always, Thank you!!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking into The Royal Sands TS for a fixed week 12 EOY in Cancun. I've read the reviews and everybody seems to rave about it. Anybody been there? Is it worth it? It appears Cancun is overbuilt with TS. If I wanted to exchange this with II or RCI, would it be a good trade? I'm just concern it won't be since Mexico is overbuilt.

As always, Thank you!!
Yes, a lot of Tuggers have been to this resort. There are tons of reviews in the TUG review section, which is one of the best features available to TUG members.

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at the Royal Sands in Feb., and yes, it is a beautiful resort. We loved it and had absolutely no complaints during our week-long stay. We rented our week from an owner, and did not have to purchase the AI food plan. I can not speak to whether or not it is a good investment, because Cancun is overbuilt and it is very easy to trade into a resort there or to rent from an owner.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hello Everyone,

As always, Thank you!!

Week 12 is snowbird season - not overbuilt

Week 12 also could occasionally be one of the Mexican Holiday weeks ( ie week before and after Easter Sunday )
and when this is the case it could be a higher value rental for the Mexican National Market (and may have a higher exchange value)

an owner may be able to give more details .

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own weeks 14/15 at the Royal Sands. We bought it pre construction. We love it there. I often rent out our lock off if we aren't using. We did not join RCI we still belong to II. It exchanges easily. If you have any specific questions send me a PM.

Leeyoo

Reaction score
I sent you a PM!
I own weeks 14/15 at the Royal Sands. We bought it pre construction. We love it there. I often rent out our lock off if we aren't using. We did not join RCI we still belong to II. It exchanges easily. If you have any specific questions send me a PM.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
You didn't mention where you're looking to trade into. Key point, but missing.

Yes, this region of Mexico is saturated.

Leeyoo

Reaction score
You didn't mention where you're looking to trade into. Key point, but missing.

Yes, this region of Mexico is saturated.

Great point! High season in Myrtle Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Vegas, summer season in Hawaii, Punta Cana just to name a few. Eventhough it is a fixed Week 12 during Spring Break it won't be a good trader?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Because the Royal Sands now require anyone exchanging in to take the AI plan at significant cost, demand for exchanges has gone way down, which hurts your trading power. However, rentals from owners don't have to take the AI, so demand for those have gone up. I would only buy this if you are comfortable renting out weeks you don't use, but that's just my opinion.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
As a former owner at the Royals, I suggest you strongly consider just how much usage you will get out of a resort with such high maintenance fees. The popularity of the Royals has slipped considerably since the days when they took four spots in the Tug Top Ten resorts. Keep in mind that the costs will continue to rise and air transportation is virtually the only means to get there. When we owned one week was not enough and then it was generally a 3 week trip. I felt it was about time to go home after about 2-1/2 weeks.