• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The 100 Best Mysteries of All Time

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The 100 Best Mysteries of All Time
Selected by Mystery Writers of America/ Book Advice/ medium.com

"The Top 100 Crime Novels of All Time is a list published in book form in 1990 by the British-based Crime Writers’ Association. Five years later, the Mystery Writers of America published a similar list entitled The Top 100 Mystery Novels of All Time. Many titles can be found in both lists...."

Both lists are included in the link. I'm not familiar with Josephine Tey, she has more than one listing - she's now on my Books to read list.
I just learned about P.D.James this year , a prolific writer in her lifetime. I've enjoyed the couple of books I've read from her oeuvre.

1*Eb2m_J_i35PYsE3wozU1Mw.png

Richard

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks, Richard. Great list! You've managed to add to Amazon's future revenues as I plan to purchase a number of these books for my Kindle.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Richard. It is always interesting to see these sorts of lists. That having been said, like often happens, while agreeing with some on the list, I would take exception to others. Some more specific comments:

Josephine Tey's Daughter of Time is an absolute classic. It is unusual in that it is more than the usual fictional mystery, but an exploration of who really killed Richard III and whether he has gotten a bad rap for his reputation. It is not entirely a piece of fiction.

The first list includes quite a few items where I think it is a bit of a stretch to label them as mystery novels.

Not surprisingly, quite a few novels that are listed come from what is sometimes labeled as the golden era of mysteries. Some are fairly good, but, to be honest, some seem more quaint and dated. On top of that, one of the author's books contain some pretty blatant anti-antisemitism.

I forget which Sarah Cauldwell novels are which, but I think the one listed (The Shortest Way to Hades) is the one that is absolutely hilarious. Until seeing this list, I had forgotten about her. Great writer, but she started later in life and died prematurely from cancer.

A warning about Charles Dickens Mystery of Edwin Drood. I was totally immersed in this book. As it got toward the end, I wondered how he was going to wrap everything up. I get to the end and find out Dickens died before he finished the book. Nobody knows how, who some of the mysterious personages were, etc. This might be the greatest mystery novel of all time in that is ends up a total mystery.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Love Westlake and the Dortmunder books. "The Hot Rock" movie with Robert Redford is a classic!

Cheers

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was disappointed to see that Rex Stout was completely overlooked here. I've read the majority of the list, and would say he compares rather well to much of it.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was disappointed to see that Rex Stout was completely overlooked here. I've read the majority of the list, and would say he compares rather well to much of it.

No.66

Cheers

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've read a few of these titles, but lots of great new read ideas, thanks.
Glad to see Tony Hillerman's A Thief of Time was on both lists--that was the one book that got me started on the Hillerman series.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
No.66

Cheers

Here's a strong endorsement for Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels. Outstanding, and nearly all of them still in print nearly fifty years after he published his last one before Stout died.

No. 66 on the list is The Doorbell Rang, one of Rex Stout's best Nero Wolfe novels. But as one who has read nearly all of them, I would definitely put a few others ahead of it: Too Many Cooks, Some Buried Caesar, and Fer-de-Lance. The relationship between Nero Wolfe and his undaunted leg man, Archie Goodwin, is priceless. And Rex Stout's writing is wry, witty, and crisp. A couple of my favorite Archie Goodwin quotes: "I will ride my luck on occasion, but I like to pick the occasion" and then this one: "I would appreciate it if they would call a halt on all their devoted efforts to find a way to abolish war or eliminate disease or run trains with atoms or extend the span of the human life to a couple of centuries, and everybody concentrate for a while on how to wake me up in the morning without my resenting it.”

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nero Wolfe is at the top of my list. I had at one time all of his books in paperback. I always liked the ones when he was forced out of the house for an Orchid appointment or some other reason.

I have an old time Radio app on my phone that I use to play the Nero Wolfe (Sidney Greenstreet) radio shows in my car and keep looking for the short lived TV show om a streaming channel.

Cheers