*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Tell me about Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Canada Timesharing' started by Miss Marty, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Miss Marty

Miss Marty TUG Member

2. Marvin

Marvin TUG Member

Your questions

I answered one of your requests for info several days ago, and you did not acknowledge my response. So, I will only take time for this note this time.

3. Smooth Air

Smooth Air TUG Member

I do not know of any TS's in NS but that does not mean that there aren't any! Try going to www.novascotia.com where you can order the "Doers' & Dreamers' Guide" which is an excellent publication of NS Dept of Tourism.
    From Maine you can take the ferry or drive.

4. merc

merc Guest

There is one in RCI.

5. Miss Marty

Miss Marty TUG Member

Found this article on The Timeshare Beat

White Point - Nova Scotia

[link deleted at poster's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  6. spoon

spoon TUG Member

Best Way to NS from Maine

We went to NS last summer and we took the high speed Hydro-Cat out of Bar Harbor, Me. to Yarmouth, NS. It is pricey but quick and easy.

7. Miss Marty

Miss Marty TUG Member

Maps

Just received the following
    Canada Maps from our Motor Club

Alberta
    British Columbia
    Manitoba

Atlantic Canada
    Maritime Provinces

Ontario
    Quebec
    Saskatchewan

8. Miss Marty

Miss Marty TUG Member

9. grest

grest Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Yep, we have...quite a sight!

Also, we have taken the CAT ferry to Nova Scotia and have driven to NS through Maine and New Brunswick. Both very nice.
    By the way, if you're going to take the time to visit Nova Scotia, I would stay longer and visit Prince Edward Island as well.
    Connie

10. X-ring

X-ring Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

The materials and maps from NS tourism are great and probably more useful so make sure you that you order them.

If there around early July, don't miss the Nova Scotia Military Tattoo in Halifax. If there in October, don't miss the Celtic Colours Festival in Cape Breton.

One way or another, don't miss taking a trip around the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island. One stop not to miss on the Trail is the Gaelic College in St. Ann's where you can observe while the Gaelic language, as well as the traditional arts of piping, fiddling, dancing etc., are being taught.

On the way to Cape Breton, stop in Antigonish the friendly small town that is home to St. Francis Xavier University and get a glimpse why, year after year, it is rated as Canada's #1 university. :)

11. X-ring

Note that you pay when leaving the Island only. The extremely budget-conscious may want to consider taking the bridge onto the Island (free), and then take the ferry to the mainland at Wood Island, NS when leaving (lesser charge, I think).

I didn't find much to see on the bridge itself as you can't see to the side off the bridge very well. A brief stretch just after the crest provides a view straight ahead across to the land on the other side but didn't do that much for me.

12. X-ring

Once in NS, keep on the north shore and stop in Digby (for the biggest and absolutely best scallops in the world) and visit the Annapolis Royal/Port Royal area. From there go south across Kejimikujik N.P. and drive the south shore to Halifax stopping in Lunenburg (UNESCO Heritage site), and the pretty towns of Mahone Bay and Chester (lots of $$$$ here!).

Once past Chester, you may want to take the longer route (333) to Halifax around St. Margaret's Bay for a quick visit to much painted and much photographed Peggy's Cove. I know of prettier spots in the area but they're further off the beaten tourist path.

13. JoeMO

JoeMO Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Weather in Late Fall

My son is getting married and is thinking about spending his honeymoon in NS and staying at White Point. Does anyone know anything about this resort? Is it the closest to PEI? They want to see Green Gables.

What would the weather be like in late Oct thru the begining of December? I know it isn't swiming weather but would there be snow or just chilly?

How easy is it to get from this resort to PEI and the sites in NS?

Thanks,
    Joe

14. hvsteve1

hvsteve1 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I drove over the Confederation bridge a few years ago. It's long. It also ended up hurting rather than helping the tourist industry as it made it easier to be a daytripper where, before, it was enough of a hassle to get there by ferry that you usually stayed at least a night. I think the ferry still runs from NS. I recall a tourism agency in PEI that will actually find and book lodging for you if you call.

I go to Halifax about every other year, mainly for the military tattoo. I love the place. Beer is a religion there. It makes feel priestly. I'm still trying to work my way through all 62 beers on tap at Maxwell's Plum. Alexander Keiths does a nice brewery tour. There are festivals of some sort going on almost every week to boost tourism--jazz, rock, films, Scottish, Celtic etc.

Some of the little secret pleasures we found in PEI (locals wouldn't be caught dead doing the touristy stuff in Anneland) included the College of Piping in Summerside where people come from all over to learn piping, drumming and Celtic dancing and put on free shows during the day and a big show at night and the Culinary Institute of Canada in Charlottetown where you can get a gourmet meal at a bargain price. An intersting factoid I picked up while there is that the Scottish culture is still so pure in NS and PEI, that people in Scotland send their kids there to see it. Of course, as I found when I was in Ontario last week, nothing is a bargain in Canada now that the looney is no longer worth 65 cents US and there's a 14 percent sales tax.:bawl:

15. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I couldn't actually get this link to work, but I do know from prior attempts of my own to get into White Point (including direct communications with staff there) that there are only actually about 10 timeshare units there, in total. Accordingly, your chances of trading into the facility in the summer months are somewhere squarely between slim and none. Off season might be another story. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2014
  16. CSB

CSB Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Actually the tax is now 13% so you have no excuse not to visit :D