• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Talk About a Special Assessment! [Orofino, Dillon CO]

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Re: Maintenance fee reserves never paying for major repairs:

My timeshare on Kauai is oceanfront, and had a lot of spalling occurring on the buildings. There was excessive equipment wear and tear due to exposure to saltwater and ocean elements. General wear and tear of interiors also occurred, due to the popularity and excessive use of the resort.

Over the course of several years, the buildings were repaired, the equipment was replaced, and the unit interiors were upgraded with all new furnishings, cabinets, counter tops, and so forth. ALL of it was paid from the reserves set aside, and no SA was needed. MFs are higher than some pay, but it's a well-managed resort that does a good job keeping things in good repair. I'd rather pay a little more over time, than pay a lot all at once.

I think some timeshares manage assets better than others. :shrug:

Dave

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I just saw a 'getaway' ad for the complex: stated 'structural damage' on upstairs units; external stairs during repairs or similar.

Uggg. Way to kill the rental market.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Three things. Look at the pictures and you can see why I was happy with the $400 - $450 MFs. Also note that the unit for sale is a ground floor unit. The problem is with the decks and presumably the second floor units. And yes, they should disclose the upcoming Special Assessment.

George

Last edited:

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Then there is this ebay ad for 2 winter weeks. No mention of the special assessment or the MF's.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BACK-TO-BAC...425901?hash=item33ada248ad:g:C6UAAOSwnipWXa9j

Three things. Look at the pictures and you can see why I was happy with the $400 - $450 MFs. Also note that the unit for sale is a ground floor unit. The problem is with the decks and presumably the second floor units. And yes, they should disclose the upcoming Special Assessment.

George

Did either of you flag the ad?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
What company took over the management of Orofino? I wonder if Alpine Meadows jumped into the project. They are an amazing management company. I love the owner, Libby, she is very kind to our board at Val Chatelle. We had a wonderful meal with her, and she had wonderful suggestions but leaves the major decisions to us. I love that because we are an opinionated board.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are a fixed owner, I hope that dollar amount is over a five years period and not due Jan 1,2016.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how well (or not so well) Orofino came out of this mess. I gladly paid the $1,000 to deed my Week back to the HOA.
It took awhile but I did get a copy of the Recorded Deed evidencing the transfer from me to the HOA. That was the last I heard.

George