• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Take the Pledge - no more presentations!

2chuck

Reaction score
I've learned all about Timeshares from Presentations

I bought my first week on ebay about 9 yrs ago from a trustworthy resale company. It was Christmas Week in Ft Lauderdale, an Oceanfront 10th floor for $400. I was a newbie, but I soon learned that I would never have to pay more than $2K for any TS. I attended every presentation that was offered since then and asked lots of questions and I learned more from each one. I gradually collected more weeks from the resale market, each at super prime times with low prices. I now have 3 wks in Points and 3 as weeks and I use them every year plus extra vacations and last calls.

I just attended a Wyndham presentation in Honolulu and learned even more. It was the most respectful and low pressure sale pitch I've ever had. I like their Waikiki property, but the price was too high and I wasn't impressed with many of their other properties. I told them so and they thanked me for listening and gave me $125.

In all my travels, I've only run into one high pressure sleazy sales presentation and I shut them down immediately by asking if they would match the price of a resale in their building, a 2 bedroom for $900 that was advertised on TUG.
I don't think I would have nearly the knowledge I have today, had it not been for asking questions in presentations.....and the $$$ for being there were a nice benefit as well.
The ONLY Rule for TS Presentations: Just Say No!

d2r4s

Reaction score
the pledge

its a nice gesture, but they have no problem drawing in people, and they want the uninitiated who are impluse buyers. the real impact is when the owners decide to ban together and make there vocies heard. :mad:

jmroncamano

TUG Member
Reaction score
great idea

In all my travels, I've only run into one high pressure sleazy sales presentation and I shut them down immediately by asking if they would match the price of a resale in their building, a 2 bedroom for $900 that was advertised on TUG.
I don't think I would have nearly the knowledge I have today, had it not been for asking questions in presentations.....and the $$$ for being there were a nice benefit as well.
The ONLY Rule for TS Presentations: Just Say No!

I like the idea of asking if they will match the re-sale price. I will try it next time I submit to a presentation.

systemsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll take the pledge

Y'all are so sophisticated in this game. Every time I sit through a presentation I buy. Then I have to cancel. Marriott made it easy. Wyndam required me to make a special registered mailing. I wouldn't trust the information I got in a presentation. The contract folks admitted that sometimes "sales" people will leave incorrect impressions. That's an understatement in my experience. I feel like one of those born every minute

What would folks suggest I do to learn more about maximizing my ownership in 2 Marriott properties?

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
This is exactly what the Timeshare Developers Would Love!

Isn't it a bigger loss for them if we attend, take up their time and their incentives and then don't buy?:confused:

The Timeshare Developers would love to have those that know about resales not come to their presentations. Their best potential customers are the ignorant of TUG and resales. They know that they are wasting their time and incentive gifts on those that know that resales are much lower cost than what they are selling!

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Y'all are so sophisticated in this game. Every time I sit through a presentation I buy. Then I have to cancel

You need to take the pledge, Just say NO

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think I've been to 6 presentations in my life including one for a campground that I went to with my mom when I was 13 -1 campground, 2 Mexico, 1 Vegas, 1 Virginia Beach and 1 Myrtle Beach. Never bought at one. Its been about 7 years since the last one (but I have bought 8 on the resale market in the last 7 years). I may be up for one in Hilton Head April. It depends on the offer. After attending I am usually done for 3-5 yrs and then I think maybe its worth wasting half a day.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Timeshare Tours Just For The Freebies.

I keep going to them to atone for all the ones we didn't take (because of my lack of cooperation at the time) that The Chief Of Staff wanted us to attend.

By now, I may be overcompensating somewhat, I don't know.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
How Much Extra Time Does That Take ?

Every time I sit through a presentation I buy. Then I have to cancel.
I would expect that sitting there through all the processing of paperwork & other administrative folderol connected with buying full-freight timeshares would take longer than just getting hard sell treatment for 90-120 minutes & saying No Thanks at the moment of truth, then saying it again till they show you the way to the freebies window.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
You said a mouth full.

The Timeshare Developers would love to have those that know about resales not come to their presentations. Their best potential customers are the ignorant of TUG and resales. They know that they are wasting their time and incentive gifts on those that know that resales are much lower cost than what they are selling!

I'm scheduled next week for an "Owner's Update" right down the road from where I live. On the day I scheduled my reservation to attend, I picked up a summer week at the resort, top floor with balcony facing the ocean for $300 + closing. I paid for the timeshare on Tuesday and by Thursday I had the recorded deed (filed electronically). So, I will be able to bring a copy of the deed to the presentation to see if they can match it. If they can, I'll buy from them. :D

Any way, I look forward to receiving the freebies for my expended energy.

I am also interested in checking out all the major renovations the resort completed in 2010. It's apparent they did something right by "all positives" on TripAdvisor since the renovation and the upgrade to Silver Crown status. :cheer:

ran-ran

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Education is a worthwhile reason to attend

Let me first say that if you are individual that is unable to say no under pressure then I would strongly encourage you to say no to the solicitors, if you are possible. It can be difficult with the goodies but it is easier to say no to them after a moment or two then sitting with a salesman for two or three hours.

I have spent a few hours sitting through presentations and mostly before I actually owned my first timeshare. I did this so that I would be able to get a clear understanding on how the timeshare system worked. I learned enough to purchase my first timeshare online from a realtor for two weeks in South Africa. I traded them well and when the resort went to condo, I forfeited my two weeks and purchased new weeks on eBay.

So, for me and others, sitting through presentations are useful in helping us to be educated and knowledgable on exactly what it is that would suit our own individual interests best.

PS - I sat through the Grand Mayan Los Cabos presentation last month and they were not pushy or horrible as I was prepared for. I told them I purchased four timeshares for about $2000.00, on of which earns me 99 TPU's for around $775 per year. Another, I have rented out the smaller lock off unit for more money than my total maintenance fee which affords me a paid for week at a great resort.

Educate yourself and know your limitations.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Y'all are so sophisticated in this game. Every time I sit through a presentation I buy.

It doesn't take sophistication to know that:
1. You are dealing with a bunch of highly skilled rip-off artists.
2. If you can't resist their wiles and the pressure, stay home.
3. If you do go, take a list of recently completed resort sales from eBay

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
On "education" being "a worthwhile reason to attend a presentation"...

I have spent a few hours sitting through presentations and mostly before I actually owned my first timeshare. I did this so that I would be able to get a clear understanding on how the timeshare system worked. <snip> So, for me and others, sitting through presentations are useful in helping us to be educated and knowledgable....

Interesting logic, that listening to a litany of false and misleading statements is somehow "educational". :confused:

I respectfully instead submit that being subjected to the many assorted embellishments, misrepresentations and outright lies of developer sales weasels is not and cannot be "educational" at all, unless one is already sufficiently knowledgeable (i.e., before even entering the room) on true facts about "the timeshare system". In my opinion, one needs that knowledge base and frame of reference established first in order to even be able to promptly recognize lies and BS the moment those tall tales leave the lips of deceitful sales weasels.

Personally, I believe that timeshare "education" is obtained only elsewhere (...here on TUG, for example), independent of (and completely away from) any developer sales room. Unfortunately, I suspect that the overwhelming majority of folks attending "presentations" have no such knowledge base. Consequently, they are essentially just unwary "live bait", lured by little bits of shiny glitter and a few bread crumbs, to willingly swim right into the murky waters where very hungry sales sharks anxiously await their arrival.... ;)

Last edited:

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I will take the pledge with one exception...if an OPC in Mexico gives me cash...say, 75-100 bucks, before I go to sales pitch... I will go, get the $ back from the developer's sales desk at end of presentation, and go meet with my OPC to refund her/him!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I get a phone call from a 70 yo friend of mine in Hawaii at a Wyndham Kona timeshare presentation. He has been begging ME to accept his timeshare ownerships as HE does NOT want to learn or plan HOW to use his Wyndham Points ownership. As a retired elementary school principal, he claims reading is very difficult for him and simply refuses to get online or read the owners' directory.

This all started with a $1 FIXED eBAY WEEK where he went to an owner's update and was BS'ed into converting it to points and buying 168K odd year points contract with Bonus Points making him VIP for about 20 months. The older woman sales agent was going to be 'His Personal Vacation Advisor' and he bragged to me about his temporary VIP status 4 months after he spent $8800.

Four months ago, he wanted to take his ill brother on a trip to Hawaii. I sat down with him to plan and booked a 3 week "DREAM" trip for them using some of his points and some exchanges from me. His brother decided 3 weeks before the trip he was too sick to go. I have been friends with him for 40+ years. He asked me to go with him, except he is retired and I work 6+ days a week here.

So off he goes and late this past Friday afternoon, he calls me from Hawaii (2+ weeks into his trip). Asks me what I think about him BUYING more points for $17,200 with this Wyndham woman sales consultant sitting next to him. Now he can use TPI and get $699 cash for each week he turns over to them -- and all his points would be in Hawaii. AHHHHHH! He says this will make him VIP GOLD permanently and his MFs would be on $3,000 yearly. Told him to check again - as that is NOT enough $$$ for VIP GOLD; sure, enough there are BONUS POINTS involved; he would have 420K in permanent points. Asks me something about going in with me or putting me on the deed --- mind you, I am at work and tell him I have a person who is walking a unit. Tell him I have to call him back; he tells me he has to decide NOW and I say NO, you don't want to SPEND more money.

Ask him what is the rescind number of days for Hawaii and he asks, and is told 7 DAYS. So he will be HOME for only 1 day for me to beat him over the head this is a bad deal. Esp for "Mr. I-don't-like-timeshares vacations".

I did ask him WHY was he at another of these sales things - of course, we all KNOW what that answer was, "They kept asking me to go" (yes, he went for the $100).

Yes, my final words to him before he left was "DO NOT GO TO ANY OWNER UPDATES!".:wall:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
..................So, for me and others, sitting through presentations are useful in helping us to be educated and knowledgable on exactly what it is that would suit our own individual interests best...........

..........Educate yourself and know your limitations.

I agree..Ive tried to learn about the Disney and the Marriott systems by reading what I see on this board and Im completely confused. I think a salesmans presentation could add something to my knowledge base.

If I start hearing the same thing from multiple sources I can probably begin to believe its true.

Ran-Ran says "educate yourself and know your limitations", I would add, "dont believe everything you hear", Ronald Reagan said "trust then verify" I think thats all good advice with timeshares ...and should be applied to what what we hear, here on TUG, as much as to what we might hear from a salesman...one can be a test of the other.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sounds like his dream trip has turned into a nightmare. Some people will never learn. But wait...he was a school principal, an educator himself! Why won't he take his education from you Linda, when you are experienced and savvy when it comes to timeshares? This is shocking to me, in this economy that he would not become more conservative with his retirement $. :confused:

So I get a phone call from a 70 yo friend of mine in Hawaii at a Wyndham Kona timeshare presentation. He has been begging ME to accept his timeshare ownerships as HE does NOT want to learn or plan HOW to use his Wyndham Points ownership. As a retired elementary school principal, he claims reading is very difficult for him and simply refuses to get online or read the owners' directory.

This all started with a $1 FIXED eBAY WEEK where he went to an owner's update and was BS'ed into converting it to points and buying 168K odd year points contract with Bonus Points making him VIP for about 20 months. The older woman sales agent was going to be 'His Personal Vacation Advisor' and he bragged to me about his temporary VIP status 4 months after he spent $8800.

Four months ago, he wanted to take his ill brother on a trip to Hawaii. I sat down with him to plan and booked a 3 week "DREAM" trip for them using some of his points and some exchanges from me. His brother decided 3 weeks before the trip he was too sick to go. I have been friends with him for 40+ years. He asked me to go with him, except he is retired and I work 6+ days a week here.

So off he goes and late this past Friday afternoon, he calls me from Hawaii (2+ weeks into his trip). Asks me what I think about him BUYING more points for $17,200 with this Wyndham woman sales consultant sitting next to him. Now he can use TPI and get $699 cash for each week he turns over to them -- and all his points would be in Hawaii. AHHHHHH! He says this will make him VIP GOLD permanently and his MFs would be on $3,000 yearly. Told him to check again - as that is NOT enough $$$ for VIP GOLD; sure, enough there are BONUS POINTS involved; he would have 420K in permanent points. Asks me something about going in with me or putting me on the deed --- mind you, I am at work and tell him I have a person who is walking a unit. Tell him I have to call him back; he tells me he has to decide NOW and I say NO, you don't want to SPEND more money.

Ask him what is the rescind number of days for Hawaii and he asks, and is told 7 DAYS. So he will be HOME for only 1 day for me to beat him over the head this is a bad deal. Esp for "Mr. I-don't-like-timeshares vacations".

I did ask him WHY was he at another of these sales things - of course, we all KNOW what that answer was, "They kept asking me to go" (yes, he went for the $100).

Yes, my final words to him before he left was "DO NOT GO TO ANY OWNER UPDATES!".:wall:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought that was choice that your friend was asking you to go in with him or be put on the deed with him. :wall:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I get a phone call from a 70 yo friend of mine ...Yes, my final words to him before he left was "DO NOT GO TO ANY OWNER UPDATES!".:wall:

He sent the recission letter off yesterday while still in Hawaii. And he called me tonight to tell me he had cancelled the sale.:whoopie:

ADDED: I did more math on those MFs of $3000/yearly. His total points were only 320K (not the 420K he had told me on Friday). The saleslady corrected herself that it was $2400/yearly MFs (or $7.50 per 1k/pts in Hawaii), except she told him the MFs were less than his prior ownerships in Florida. The new points purchase was $180 per 1K of points plus closing costs.

Slick sales person - permanent VIP GOLD (NOT=> only discovery points gets you VIP Gold for 3 years -2011, 2012, 2013). Told him he could deposit his Hawaii weeks with TPI,get 2 weeks in exchange, and TPI would also give him $699 cash for each week. She also told him he could RENT these TPI weeks.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an urge to do an Anfi sales presentation when I was recently on Gran Canaria just to tell them off about how they are screwing Anfi owners in ways that make it very undesirable to own there (although still a nice resort if you get the one on the beach to trade into). Newish policies that screw owners include: 1) 700 euro transfer fee, 2) 100 euro fee for owner depositing a week with an independent exchange compnay, renting their week, or allowing someone other than themselves to use it, 3) refusal to allow resale owners to use its affiliated exchange company (this hurts owners resale value), and 4) 1-in-4 policy which hurts trading power. I would like to sit in front of a salesman and tell him he could not give me a week free at a resort with those policies.

However, I did not want to spend half a day of my vacation time just to tell off Anfi for their anti-member policies, so I did not.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)

Only $3,000/year? :eek:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought that was choice that your friend was asking you to go in with him or be put on the deed with him. :wall:

It was all I could do to NOT scream at him, "SEND ME THE $17,200 now and PAY ME $3,000/yearly to book you 2 weeks of Wyndham vacations a year".

Okay, I up the ante to 3 weeks at a Wyndham resort.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was all I could do to NOT scream at him, "SEND ME THE $17,200 now and PAY ME $3,000/yearly to book you 2 weeks of Wyndham vacations a year".

Okay, I up the ante to 3 weeks at a Wyndham resort.

:D You really are a great friend to get him back to reality and deal with this (on top of booking this 'once-in-a-lifetime-trip with all the work that involves).

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Zero Timeshare Tours During 2 Timeshare Weeks In Kissimmee FL.

We just got home after 2 fun timeshare weeks in Kissimmee FL.

During that time, we attended NO timeshare tours or updates or presentations -- a 1st for us while timeshare vacationing.